Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VMS4 Not outputting audio with VDJ7 (after working normally earlier that day!)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all - This is my first time posting, so I’m sorry if it’s in the wrong place!

I’ve been using a VMS4 since 2010, and have had a myriad of annoyances over the years. Many of these issues were solved when I installed the full version of VDJ 7 Pro. Since then, the main issue I have is the controller and laptop not communicating upon start-up, which is usually fixed by re-booting/re-starting.

This weekend, I encountered a problem I never have before.

My system:
Dell Inspiron (older model, with Core Duo …lol)
Windows 7
Virtual DJ 7 Pro FULL
Outputting to speakers same as always.

Here is the problem:
On Saturday I had 2 events: no problems in the afternoon.
That night, when I booted up, the VMS4 and the computer were clearly communicating, but I could not get audio to output!

Symptoms:
Working:
- Controller lit-up as it does when it is working with the laptop
- Play and pause tracks from the controller
- I could hear the tracks in the headphones

NOT working:
- Getting audio out on the master when I brought up the channel faders (all of them up, etc)
- Getting any action on the LED db display on the VMS4 when I wasn’t “cueing” in the headphones… no lights means no output!

The “Fix”?
After about 30 min of re-booting and re-configuring, what finally seemed to fix the issue is this:
I plugged the VMS4 into my back-up laptop (a newer Lenovo ideapad) and booted the software there. Ironically, the software and controller were not communicating at all… so much for my back-up!
In doing so, the VMS4 installed the device drivers on the Lenovo (odd, since I’ve used it there before).

When I plugged the VMS4 back into my Dell and started things up, everything worked as normal!
I'm wondering if the process of installing drivers on the other laptop acted to "reset" the VMS4...

In summary:
In the past, most of my problems have been seemingly software or computer related. This is the first time I’m suspicious that this has something to do with the controller…

This clearly is not a “newbie” set-up problem – I’m wondering if anyone has encountered something like this, and if it has something to do with the Midi-controller vs. analog mixer sections of the VMS4, since that seemed to be the divide in what was / wasn’t working… BUT: maybe it's just an issue on the laptop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have another gig this weekend. (please don't just recommend I update to v8. I'm sure that will introduce more headaches than solutions).

Posted Mon 06 Jul 15 @ 8:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)