Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Proper Bitrate/Time Not Being Displayed from Downloaded MP3's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Very strange issue. I am running VDJ 7.0.2 on A Windows 8.1 laptop that I recently purchased. I brought over my existing VDJ music library from another PC and everything was working fine. Part of my music library includes roughly 1000 tracks (MP3s) that I downloaded from Amazon over the years. Yesterday, I decided to download some additional tracks from Amazon for the first time on my new laptop. The files came down fine with the proper bitrates (284 kpbs, 274 kbps, 267 kbps, 192 kpbs, etc.) and played properly on Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc. The programs on my PC that can display bitrates for files all agree on the stated bitrate (including Tag&Rename). However, when I opened the newly downloaded files in VDJ, some of the downloaded files behaved in the following manner:

- displayed an incorrect time (like 20 minutes)
- couldn't display the entire track wave form when loading on a deck (just the first few seconds)
- displayed a bit rate of 48 kbps when you right-click on the songs in the browser and view File Infos

If I right-click on the song and choose BPM > Re-Analyze, that fixes the time displayed issue. In my Config settings, Performances Tab, I have the Don't load files bigger than xx minutes field set to 15, which would explain the second issue. However, I haven't been able to figure out the incorrect bitrate issue. I assume the song is being played at the proper bitrate, but just the displayed bitrate is incorrect. I don't have this issue with any MP3s I rip myself from CD, so I'm wondering if it is a VDJ bug when it encounters an MP3 with a variable bitrate (VBS) that Amazon uses to encode their MP3s? The weird thing is that the issue does not happen on every MP3 I download from Amazon - just certain ones. So far, I haven't been able to correlate it with a particular VBS setting. Any idea what is going on?

Posted Tue 26 May 15 @ 9:08 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
VBR until scanned are a problem, scan before playing.

Posted Wed 27 May 15 @ 12:27 am
Thanks for the confirmation of this issue.

It's funny that when you load a VBR MP3 on a deck for the first time, it hangs and gives you incorrect info, yet a non-VBR MP3 can be analyzed correctly (time, BPM, and key) when loaded the first time. Why does the "analyze" feature work differently when the file is loaded on a deck vs. running it manually? It seems to me the same functionality is occurring in both instances and should result in the same behavior.

Posted Wed 27 May 15 @ 7:32 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just scan before hand. That has always been the recommended method.

Why is there a difference? The difference is manually scanning doesn't include loading the track.
I'll guess the only thing known about a unscanned track is the frame count and the bit rate, so CBR is easy maths to get length, VBR the entire track has to be scanned.

Although this does make me question how "Song_bpm" works as it's the number of frames between beats, but I'm not that bothered.

Posted Thu 28 May 15 @ 2:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)