Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What VirtualDJ 8 files get copied to the notebook that you actually DJ with?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When I was using version 7 and preparing for a gig, I always did everything on my backup notebook, and then transferred the database file and the new music files to the primary notebook that I use for my performances.

In version 8, it seems like copying the database and settings files are not enough. It seems like some of the folders for History, Playlists, Virtual Folders, etc need to be copied as well, but after searching the forum I can find a definitive list of exactly which files and folders need to be copied (as a minimum) to the notebook that you will be performing with.

There are instructions here in the forums about how to make a copy of VirtualDJ 8 on another notebook which says to copy ALL of the folders that are in the VirtualDJ folder that resides in your Documents folder.

Is that really necessary for updating your primary notebook between performances?

So my question is . . . . If you do all of your version 8 pre-production work on your backup notebook, besides your music files what files and folders do you need to copy to the notebook that you will be taking to the gig?

(Note . . . My backup notebook and my performance notebook already have the same username and file structure)

Posted Sun 12 Apr 15 @ 11:32 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
drwindows wrote :

There are instructions here in the forums about how to make a copy of VirtualDJ 8 on another notebook which says to copy ALL of the folders that are in the VirtualDJ folder that resides in your Documents folder.

Is that really necessary for updating your primary notebook between performances?

Yes that is correct. To be sure, always copy the whole folder.

EDIT: It might not be a good idea, to copy the whole folder. Your "preparing" machine would not have all the history and playlist files and copying the whole folder would override your "gig machine" playlists. Thats not a good idea.

So copy all folders within the VirtualDJ folder in Documents EXCEPT the History and Playlists folder.

If you have additional internal drives with tracks on it, there is most likely another "VirtualDJ" folder on that drive.
Copy that too.

I.E.
If you have a second drive D:\ there is D:\VirtualDJ folder.
This folder should go to D:\ on you gig machine too.

If you use an external, nothing to do here. Just plug it to your gig machine and you should be good to go.

Posted Mon 13 Apr 15 @ 4:08 am
Thanks PachN

Good point about the NOT copying the History and Playlist folders. It's always been very useful to look back at a particular set of songs (in History) that were played at the gig.

( whether is was memorable because I nailed it and it should be transferred into a future playlist set, or memorable where I recall wow that set didn't work out so well )

Posted Mon 13 Apr 15 @ 7:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)