Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Database does not appear to be saved when exiting VDJ8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

I just got a new laptop and I am setting it up with my VDJ8 preferences. I have changed a number of options in settings to match my preferences.

I copied all of my music onto the hard drive and I added the music folder as a favorite. I then right-click on the favorite folder and select "batch -> Add to DB" and VDJ processes all of my songs. I can then type song names into the search and they are found instantly. I then exit VDJ, and go back in, and when I type songs into search, nothing is found. If I right-click on my favorite folder and choose "Batch -> Add to DB" it will process everything again as if I had never done this before (on my other computer, doing this a second time would go much faster because it would only add newly found songs to the DB).

Did I inadvertently change an option in setting to cause this? What might that be? Or is there another issue going on here?

VDJ8 (latest build)
Windows 8.1
I created a folder at root of C ("C:\Songs") and added my music collection to that
Set C:\Songs as a favorite

Thanks

Bob Lafleur

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 4:41 pm
There is one option that could result this behavior, named "ReadOnly"
If this option is enabled then no changes on your search db or even on your track specific data (like bpm's, hot cues, changes on tags e.t.c. will be saved)

If you don't have this option enabled, let us know...

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 5:25 pm
Hi,

My ReadOnly option was set to "yes". I changed it to "no" and I'm rebuilding the db which will take a little while, but I'm thinking that this was it because it is "no" on my other computer.

Thanks for your help!

- Bob

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 6:04 pm
Of course now I have the problem that the root of C is normally protected against writing and that's where VDJ wants to write the database, so I got a "The drive is full" error.

But that's my organizational issue. I could just change the permissions on C (not really a great idea) or maybe run VDJ in administrator mode. Probably better would be to partition my drive and create another volume for the music. I'm trying to keep the music on the internal drive and avoid having to connect an external drive - keep the wires to a minimum.

Or is there a way to tell VDJ to write it's database somewhere else rather than the root of the drive where the music is stored?

Thanks.

- Bob

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 6:37 pm
If C is your system drive then the database for this drive won't be saved on the root, but on "Documents\VirtualDj" folder

Posted Wed 25 Mar 15 @ 2:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)