Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: License needed for plugins?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

prakodrHome userMember since 2015
Hey, I'm looking for a way to play lights in sync with an MP3/wav/whatever.

I've been using Freestyler to program the lights but it doesn't have a way to play an MP3. Someone on the Freestyler forum suggested I try Virtual DJ. I see there is an addon that seems to do what I want.

So, I downloaded the program. I consider myself a Home User--described as "If you are not using it professionally, and do not use any professional equipment like a USB DJ controller, or a DJ mixer, then VirtualDJ is FREE."

But looking at the FAQ, I found this: "First, you will need to be a registered licensed user to be able to download additional free skins, effects, samples, etc."

So, for my uses, the program isn't free is it? What is the cheapest version I can buy to get this functionality?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 8:33 am
Some of the addons are available to Home users. The person who creates / uploads the addon decides who to make it available to.

So you are not DJing professionally but you do have DMX lighting just for use at home?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 8:44 am
I'm a videographer/video artist. I want to shoot a music video with lights in sync to the music. I really don't need any DJ functionality--I just need to sync the lights to music. I think I found another way to do it--researching that now.

I don't anticipate making any money on this project--just doing it for fun.

So, yes, there is a 'pro' icon on the download page. If I get there a different way, it tells me my license will not allow the download.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 9:16 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Unfortunately the plugin class used by DMX plugins doesn't actually exist in anything other than a Pro version - even if you could download it, it wouldn't work with the free version.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 10:15 am
So, maybe someone should rewrite this: "If you are not using it professionally, and do not use any professional equipment like a USB DJ controller, or a DJ mixer, then VirtualDJ is FREE."

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 11:50 am
Sucks to waste my time trying to learn to do something when it just isn't an option.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 11:51 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I would consider a DMX interface to be 'professional equipment' personally. It's certainly not something your average non-professional user has or uses at home.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 12:03 pm
Whatever...

The sentence says 'like a USB DJ controller or a DJ mixer'. A DMX interface has nothing to do with DJing per se.

The sentence is poorly written and misleading.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 12:18 pm
And I wouldn't consider a $60 controller to be a professional item either.

OK, I'm done venting.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 12:19 pm
Now you've explained what you're trying to do, I'd suggest approaching it from a different angle.

You clearly don't need DJ software.

As you mention Freestyler, are you aware of this? -> http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/sound_2_light

Most DMX lighting is capable of reacting to audio on its own too (via built in mics).

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 4:34 pm
Yes, I've seen it and it looks interesting. But I need hard sync. The music I'm using will not always have a steady beat to pick up on. (I wasn't clear on whether the VDJ setup would do that either but it looked like promising to try.)

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 6:14 pm
OK well what are you using to shoot or edit the video? It should be possible to keep audio and video in sync, either whilst filming or in post.

Presumably you know the tempo (BPM) of the music. If the music has been recorded in a DAW then you could easily use a MIDI "click track" from the DAW to trigger Freestyler.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 6:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)