Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Nightmare getting iCon iDJ to work with Virtual DJ or any other app

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

New to the forum - and to DJing really, hoping you guys can help as I have no idea where else to ask!?

My problem is this, I just bought an iCon iDJ mixing deck for my laptop. When I first plugged it in, I got an error message saying the driver cannot be installed. I tried using Traktor Demo (with a downloaded TSI file), virtual DJ (but think I need full version for controllers), Deckadance which came with the controller, none would recognise the device. I also tried mapping keys etc that didn't work either.

Today I plugged it into my PC. Driver installed, TSI imported in Traktor worked perfectly first time.

I have no idea why my laptop is behaving differently.

The PC is 32x Windows 7
Laptop 64x Windows 7

Otherwise fairly similar spec etc. I have just done loads of windows updates to the laptop to see if that helps, nothing. to clarify, I'm using the same Demo version of Traktor on both, same TSI file, same iCon iDJ, same settings on Traktor (i..e simply import and done). The only variable is the machine.

I've been in device manager and trouble shooted it (comes up as USB composite device), suggests reinstalling driver. Doesn't work. Uninstalled driver manually and reinstalled with the plug and play, didn't work.

Lastly I have searched for drivers, for which there are none that I can download manually.

Any ideas on what I can do here to get it working? My PC is a media PC so isn't practical to use.

I'm just starting out and choosing which application is best before splashing out, getting the controller working is the priority but so far I can only test with Traktor.

Any help greatly appreciated

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 5:39 pm
Most likely it fails because you need to install 64-bit drivers on your laptop.
Check if your device provides such drivers.

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 5:47 pm
According to the Icon product page, it's a class compliant device so there's no need for drivers. It should be supported by the OS and be plug & play.

It also says it's compatible with both 32 and 64 bit systems, so it's not that either.

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 5:49 pm
Then try all USB ports on your laptop and even try to use a powered USB hub between the device and the laptop

If that fails too, then you may need to clean your Windows "USB history", and if that fails as well I see no other solution than a complete format of the laptop...

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 6:06 pm
I don't know what their support is like, but the details are on the web:

Synthax Tech Support
phone: 01727 821 870
Tech Support e-mail: info@synthax.co.uk

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 6:18 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
PhantomDeejay wrote :
clean your Windows "USB history"

I'm interested, is it a 3rd party app , a windows feature?

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 7:16 pm

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 7:41 pm
Thank you for the help guys really appreciated I'll try these things tonight.

It's really weird how it simply works instantly on the Pc. The laptop hasn't had a fresh install since I got it about 4 years ago (still decent spec i3, 4gb ram Dell inspiron) so I'm not afraid of doing so would just rather not.

I've tried two USB ports I think one is USB 3 and one USB 2. Not sure if there's a 3rd to try off the top of my head buy I'll pick up a hub at lunch and try that too.

Any other tips for me to try later also welcome

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 3:31 am
couldn't find a hub

usb clean didn't work :(

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 3:56 pm
Hi guys

So i've reformatted my laptop - Still won't work, I have no idea what to do....

The USB work for other things, just not this controller.

I am tempted by some new laptop deals at the moment, but again if i buy them and they dont work i wont be any better off.

Any more tips?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 5:13 am
You should contact Icon (details in earlier post).

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 7:26 am
Right had a tiny bit of progress on this:

No add ons: nothing in device manager or at best "unknown composite device"

Mains powered USB hub: no difference

Dual USB to single USB power cable for portable hard drives (I also plugged it into the mains powered USB hub) : comes up on device manager as icon idj (woohoo) but that device has a problem and needs to trouble shoot. Can't locate a driver.

So power seems to be a part of the problem. Still not working though.

Other note:
In the driver trouble shooting stuff it did say one thing which is odd, Architecture AMD64 but my Pc is Intel 64. Everything else works perfectly though.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 4:39 pm
Have contacted Icon yet?

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 5:56 pm
Yes - Unfortunately no use.

Reply i got was basically suggesting my 2 separate USB ports are both faulty. Yet weirdly work with all other accesories....

Posted Mon 06 Apr 15 @ 6:05 pm
Download miditrace and see if it is sending midi signals to your computer. If it does you probably need to make a definition file for it so VDJ knows what type of controls it has. I have made one for VDJ7 a couple of years ago that can be downloaded from the forum, but you will need a licence to get it.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/ControllerDefinitionMIDIv8.html

Posted Tue 07 Apr 15 @ 6:11 am

Posted Tue 07 Apr 15 @ 6:27 am
I'll try the tips above thank you. I have been testing with traktor but want to use (buy) vdj pro once I've got the hardware working. Traktor has a free trial mode that allows controllers.

I've reformatted the laptop and it hasn't changed anything so not holding out much hope on the Reg edit but worth a shot

Posted Tue 07 Apr 15 @ 8:29 am
could be an (AMD) problem i (HAD) an AMD laptop & VDJ would not work right alot of stutter problems. now both of my new DJing laptops are intel & i have zero problems ?

Posted Tue 07 Apr 15 @ 10:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)