Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Folders Listed alphabetically

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This problem appears several times (Keepsortorder) but there is still no fix. How can the folders in my database be listed alphabetically (Not the listing of the Favorite folders themselves but the contents). Any new folder that I add to my database goes to the bottom of the list and is not listed alphabetically. This is a big problem to me as I have a very large database.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 12:25 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
KeepSortOrder has nothing to do with folders, only files, actually in windows go to where your files are kept you will find ,order files delete these.

@Atomix can we please make this context menu resetable, I see the advantage but it appears several don't.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 2:07 am
Loco I don't think that works, I've tried it many, many, many times and my folders are NEVER in order.

Even when I go in and manually move them VDJ doesn't keep them in that order cause the next I open it everything is all misplaced again.

It's these little things that REALLY tick me off about this program 😡

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 8:38 am
.order files are the files that determine the folder order, delete them when vdj is closed and the folders will reset to alphabetical on next boot.
You have one in every folder that contains folders.

I've just proved it here.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 9:12 am
Yup that's what I've done and VDJ never remembers my order.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 9:47 am
Mac or windows? I can only speak for windows.

If you search your master music folder(s) in windows and for "*.order" and delete them (with V8 closed) then I can't see how it can be anything other than alphabetical
(renaming folders in V8 or adding new folders always get added to the bottom of the list)

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 10:13 am
I'll try it again tonight but then also, if I MANAULLY sort out my folders shouldn't VDJ remember that order?? In my case it doesn't and never has.

Oh and I'm on both Mac and PC.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 10:19 am
Yes it should, I've got a set of Breaks vol 1 vol 2 etc up to vol 10 and alphabetically 10 comes after 1, I dragged 10 to the end (after 9) and closed and it stuck. So it's working here.

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 10:30 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Got the same problem :(

I did delete the order file many times, but VDJ still messes up my custom order.
After deleting the order file, VDJ sets them in alphabetical order. Correct.
Then I sort my folders in groups of filter folder, vFolder, favourit folder, and this groups in alphabetical order.

After restarting VDJ, they are set back, and all the different folders are mixed up again...

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 4:02 am
Exactly!! I knew it didn't work and wasn't just my machine...........

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 6:20 am
I don't know then there must be something different with my organisation to yours, Are you working with multiple drives?

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 7:01 am
Yes, I have my internal and a 3 tb external which is partitioned into 3 one tb drives so my computer see a total of 4 drives.

Either way there is a problem with VDJ because it SHOULD remember the order I put them in...........and it's not.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 7:07 am
I'm using internal + external hdd.

Thinking of it. I not sure if I checked the external folders folder too. Maybe I've to delete another order file there.

EDIT: But that doesn't make any sense. Even IF there is another order file. It would only contain some vFolders or fav. folders that are not present on the internal drive. But VDJ mixes all folders up and sets them in alphabetical order. Doesn't matter if they are on the external or not.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 7:07 am
That's my point, VDJ does not remember how you set your folders and it doesn't matter if I have an external hooked up on not.

Definitely something wrong but not to the point of causing problems which is why I've never said anything.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 7:42 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If at some point the order is wrong, could you check the order file with a text editor and see if the order there is different from the order in vdj?

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 8:33 am
I already did that. There was no difference.

The point is, VDJ isn't saving your custom order. (At least for me)
Seems like it is not writing the new order into the order files.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 8:48 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As soon as you move a folder the order file should get rewritten.
That's working when I try it here.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 9:03 am
Ill try it when I get home but just like Pach it's never stayed for me aswell.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 10:09 am
I deleted the .order and it worked. My files are now in order. Thanks

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 1:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)