Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Audio/Compression Issues With Virtual DJ 7

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All,

I have been a DJ for 20 years and was previously using the Denon HD2500 unit and am now upgrading to a Windows 7 laptop with Virtual DJ 7.

I am noticing that some songs do not sound "right", especially when played at a higher volume. It seems as if the software is doing something similar to what radio stations do when they compress
songs. It's making the low points high and bringing down the louder parts. For example, the beginning of songs like "Love" by Nat King Cole or "Moondance" by Van Morrison come in very loud, not distorted,
but loud. Since the beginning of these songs is so quiet, Virtual DJ is making them louder.

Can anyone offer advise on how to fix this? The audio is not lagging or skipping, it just sounds odd to me that the system is doing.

Currently I have Virtual DJ 7 on a Windows 7 laptop. The laptop has a 1TB hard drive and 12GB of RAM. I'd have to look at the specs again to see what type of sound card it has. I have already gone into all
of the Config and latency settings in VDJ7 and played around with them and it doesn't seem to work. I have also scanned all of the files on my hard drive so that it recognizes the BPM and song lengths.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Pete

Posted Mon 23 Feb 15 @ 11:53 am
Virtual DJ does not have a compressor acting on the audio.

The only thing in place, purely to protect from overloading, is a limiter on the output. If you try and push your levels past this (over the 0dB digital max, meaning it would introduce digital distortion) then the signal will get limited - and you can hear the effect of it.

You can increase the headroom by adjusting the zeroDB setting in config, but you will still hear the limiter working if you push too hard. It's a warning for you to back off!

Posted Mon 23 Feb 15 @ 1:00 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
VDJ7 doesn't have "zeroDB" option.
But you can disable the limiter in options.

Posted Wed 25 Feb 15 @ 6:36 am
I believe zerodb in vdj7 is called headroom try and set it to 2db or higher and see if that helps. Turning off the limiter would just allow distortion to enter you sound path unchecked.

Good luck

Posted Wed 25 Feb 15 @ 8:43 am
Oops - I missed the part about VDJ 7 somehow.

My info is still valid though. There is a way to lower the zero db point in VDJ 7. This can be accessed via the VDJ Registry Tool.

The option has been there since VDJ 5!

Posted Wed 25 Feb 15 @ 9:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)