Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Anyone had any audio problems with a Stanton DJC.4?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, has anyone had any audio issues with a DJC.4? I've read a thread on here from 2012 that I wasn't sure if I could bump or not, but it seems to describe one of the same issues as I have been having.

There is a buzzing/humming noise coming from the unit at all times, whether using WDM or ASIO drivers, and it's worse when VDJ is activated. It gets louder the more LED's that are lit up. For instance when it does it's LED sweep on first start up the noise becomes very noticeable then declines as the LED's extinguish. It sounds like Mini-me when he's running away from Austin Powers in Goldmember lol.

I also have the frustrating crackling when playing quiet passages, ie breakdowns in trance tracks etc, that only used to happen with my old Omni Control if keylock was on and the pitch slider had been moved. Recording or playing back through the Stanton gives this same crackle all the time in the quiet passages, however when I play back anything I've recorded through my car stereo the crackling isn't on the recording.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody had heard of these issues and whether they're known to be faulty or I'm going to be spending ages getting my set up right again.

My laptop is a Fujitsu A512 by the way, i3 2.4 Ghz processor, 4GB ram, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Things I have tried so far include Gamebooster 3, Stanton driver from their website, latest drivers from Fujitsu (well, it said all I needed was a Bluetooth driver update), upgrade to VDJ8, ground loop isolator (made it worse?!), 1500ma 6V regulated power supply, modem switched off, no latency spikes with DPC latency checker.

Thanks for any comments in advance, hoping I've not made the wrong choice of controller upgrade...... ;-)

www.house-mixes.com/profile/mattl

Posted Mon 16 Feb 15 @ 2:54 pm
On further testing there is also a noise like an old cassette based computer loading up, such as a Spectrum or CPC464. If I unplug the external power supply to the Stanton then it disappears and leaves a static hiss, if I reconnect it comes back, like an electrical interference noise rather than a crackling.

Is it possible I need some sort of mains filter, or possibly a USB filter? If anyone could point me in the right direction of what sort of filter I might need I'd be very grateful!

Posted Mon 16 Feb 15 @ 4:19 pm
It sounds very much like typical computer / PSU noise. You say it goes when you disconnect the Stanton PSU. Is there any chance you could replace that PSU with a unit which may have a cleaner output? Do you get the same result if you run the laptop on battery power (disconnect the PSU)?

A GLI can often cure (or at least reduce) noises like this, but you say it made yours worse? What GLI was it, and how did you connect it?

Posted Mon 16 Feb 15 @ 4:41 pm
Hi groovein, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I could try another PSU I guess. The Stanton doesn't come with one so I went out and bought one for around a tenner from the local hardware store, I think it was a Connect-It or something. Ironically I only bought it to try and cure the crackling in the audio playback as I'd read the USB ports might not be man enough to power the Stanton while it was in full swing, LED's all lit up etc. Which led me to ask about a mains filter.

The strange thing was, every now and again there was a definite pattern to the interference with the PSU plugged in. But when I gave up and turned off all my audio equipment, I could still faintly hear the same pattern! It turns out that if I turn my fridge/freezer off the noise disappears! So it's looking likely it's mains interference? For the background noise at least, maybe not so for the crackling in audio playback?

If this is the case is there likely to be any reason why the Stanton is so sensitive to it but my Numark would just sit there totally unaffected and, once I'd tweaked my set-up, only crackled if the keylock was on and the pitch slider moved?

Disconnecting the laptop PSU makes no difference.

The ground loop isolator isn't marked other than a label to say what it is. It's just a black cylinder with a pair of male and female phono connectors coming from each end, I just connected it in-line between the master output of the Stanton and the aux input of my amp, is this correct?

Posted Mon 16 Feb 15 @ 5:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)