Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJscript for experts

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello guys, i am using vdjscript a LOT lately (V8) because i want to get the MOST out of my Mixtrack Quad =)
But i think i have come to a limit of vdjscript's possibilitys.

Here is what i try to achieve:
I would like to add the current get_beat parameter to a variable that i call with the jog led,
so that the louder the sound is, the more distance the light travels (using param_mod 1).

Right now i'm doing the following to do this:
I'm using a custom button on each deck that uses repeat and down function to repeat its code all the time even when its not pressed
(which is kind of a bug in the language because it should stop as soon as i edit the button again or press it).
This button tests about 100x per second what value the beat has (in 10% steps) and executes depending of that a number of cycle functions.
For instance when the beat is over 50%, it executes "cycle 'beat' 1000" 6 times, when over 20% 3 times and so on.
This works however i think it is very laggy, unmanageble and not very performance friendly as well as 'glitchy' as the function from the first button press on runs ALL THE TIME until you shut down VDJ completely.

So is there a better way to do this specific thing?
And how can i add/multiply one variable to another? (This would help me ALOT!)
Thank you =)

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 12:44 pm

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 12:48 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I don't fully understand the goal, but I like exploring ideas.

I've tried a few things for constant scripts
As you mentioned the down and repeat hack, there's also the 2 macro method, (less successful, less cycles/second)

There is also the self moving poi to consider
Imagine cue 3 is a poi, as it triggers it moves itself 1/50 of a beat forward

deck 1 get_beatpos & param_add 0.02 & param_cast & deck 1 set_cue 3

Maybe if I understood the goal I could help more,
I am working on a project that adds poi to every track in a database, but it's a while off

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 2:21 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Or you could have a silent track, synced with your active track., this silent track is laced with POI to increase a counter and held in a very short loop.

I'm taking pot shots here because I don't get the goal.

Posted Mon 26 Jan 15 @ 2:24 pm
Alright i know i can't explain very good in english, i'm just going to make a video where i show what i try to achieve,
but it's basically just that every few milliseconds, the current value of 'get_beat' (0%-100%) gets added to a variable, so that this variable always climbs up, but faster when the beat is loud and slower when its less loud. Then i call this variable with some modifications to the jog led, which can spin in a circle motion on the Mixtrack Quad.
This video shows the led's on the wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgN9JeCjH4

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 2:06 am
You should do all your "maths"/calculations and modifications on the "LED_JOG" element instead of trying to calculate a value through a button.

Assuming that the original code of your mapper was
<map value="LED_JOG" action="songpos_remain 30000ms ? off : get rotation" />

You should change it to something like this:
<map value="LED_JOG" action="songpos_remain 30000ms ? off : get_beat & param_multiply 2 & param_mod 1" /> e.t.c....

Posted Tue 27 Jan 15 @ 3:42 pm
@PhantomDeejay that was what i set when i first edited the mapping, but what i try to achieve requires the change of variables, which cannot be done from "read only" elements such as LEDs or displays.
here is the youtube video for some explanation:
http://youtu.be/YWDBX-xQSw8

Posted Thu 29 Jan 15 @ 2:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)