Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How to setup to record a mix using CDJ350's, DJM350 and Macbook in VDJ8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello I am pretty new to virtual DJ so any assistance would be awesome.

All I want to do is to be able to record a mix in VDJ8 using my 2 CDJ350's, external DJM350 mixer and Macbook. I know that there is a built in USB recording device on the DJM350 and I can record that way no problem whilst using VDJ8 but I am certain that the DJM350 could still record a mix through VDJ8 using my external mixer.

My current set up are:

Macbook
DJM350 Mixer
2 x CDJ350's
Logitech Z4 computer speakers (http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/z4-21-speaker-system#knowledge) - I have included what they look like as there a little "volume remote" box that comes with it that has a line input that may play a part in all of this

So my current setup allows me to use VDJ8 and even make a recording using VDJ8 by using the onboard built in USB recording feature of the DJM350 so I know at least its halfway there. The 2 CDJ's connect to the DJM350 mixer using RCA's (one deck per channel) so I am pretty sure that is fine.

The tricky bit now is that I have an RCA to headphone jack cable the connects as follows: 1 x white RCA into channel 1 out on the mixer and 1 x red RCA into channel 2 out on the mixer and then I plug the headphone jack into my Logitech speakers line input on the remote supplied (see the logitech link above so you can see what speakers I am talking about as there is a little box connected to the speakers like a volume remote that has a line input so I connect the mixer to the "remote box"). I then plug the Logitech speakers directly into the Macbook using another jack that comes with the speakers. I hope that makes sense but if it doesn't I can try and upload some pictures so you can see what I mean.

Now for the configuration within VDJ8 I have set as follows:

Deck1: CDJ350
Deck2: CDJ350

I know I need a recording source and this is where my issue is. When I try to add a recording source 'record' I am only given the option of built in microphone which I definitely do not want.

I feel like I need an external USB soundcard or some other interface and I am happy to spend the money if need be but I would rather find out first if I am even on the right track. I also do plan to purchase some monitor speakers but for this I am certain I would need a USB soundcard. If anyone does have a Macbook as there are only 2 USB slots I am worried that by getting a USB soundcard I will have no USB port left to plug it into as the 2 CDJ's currently use them up and an external hub I wouldn't think could power an external USB soundcard? Can any Macbook users confirm this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 5:13 am
You don't need a recording source. A source is an input. Recording is made from the output.

What you're doing now (recording on the mixer) is your best option.

I don't understand why you're plugging the speakers into the Macbook, if you already have the output from your mixer connected to them.

If your setup chain is as follows: Macbook running VDJ->Mixer->Speakers then the speakers don't need to connect back to the Macbook.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 14 @ 6:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)