Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Converting VOB to MP4 with Handbrake - file size question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So I have Intel HD4000 graphics card and using VDJ7.

MP4 videos play fine whether I use hardware acceleration or not.

However VOB and MPG wont play unless I either a) dissable hardware accelaration b) send them to Windows Media Player codec which causes the sound and video to be out of sync.

I subscribe to Promo Only so all my videos from the last couple of years are MP4, however I used to subscribe to Mixmash since 2005 until they went out of business and I ripped all these video with DVD Dycrypter to VOB and they played fine on my old laptops with Nvidia cards.

So I am planning on converting all my VOB and MPG files to MP4. I have downloaded Handbrake which seems to do the trick, however a 150+ MB VOB file is only about 50MB as an MP4 although it says it is the same resolution. Is this right?

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 1:52 pm
have a look at one at the quality if it is the same then u are in business. mp4 will be compressed much more then Vob

if the mp4 doesn't look as good as the vob u need to adjust the encoder to get a better end result.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 2:29 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
The resolution is not the same as the amount of data in the file. MP4's are a lossy encoding, which means the encoder analyses the file and removes data that you shouldn't notice. Most of the time it does a good job. You will notice in dark scenes or like blended colors. So, the file size is so much smaller because you shouldn't see the missing data. Changing the quality to lower is more visible. As was stated, convert them and watch them to see. You will be more likely to notice an issue on a large display vs. a windowed screen. So, watch it on a large display like you would gig with.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 9:19 pm
You may also try Avdshare Video Converter which can Convert VOB to mp4 and other popular video formats to expand the usage of VOB further, like converting VOB to AVI, VOB to WMV, VOB to FLV, VOB to MOV, VOB to WebM, VOB to 3GP,etc.

Posted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 7:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)