Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Setting up Virtual DJ and Hercules RMX for home use

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

danetcHome userMember since 2014
Hi all,

A few years ago I took an intro DJ course, got the bug, bought a RMX and then got distracted by life. With some free time opening up, I want to mess around in my house with it again but I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to configure the thing and I feel like i'm just not quite understanding so I'm reaching out for help.

I have:
Hercules RMX Controller
A Macbook Pro
A Desktop PC with 5.1 speakers
a pair of headphones

Gear i'd prefer not to use that I also own:
A large stereo receiver and stereo speakers (w/ speaker wire inputs not RCA plugs, etc.)

What I really want to know is what the simplest possible way to set this up so I can DJ in my home. I would like to be able to pre-listen to my 2nd track on my headphones while the master track plays out of speakers.

i've seen theRMX wiki page: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/RMX.html

would I be able to plug my desktop speakers into Channel 1&2 of the RMX while running headphones into the RMX headphone jack thereby eliminating the need for the stereo receiver and the bulky stereo speakers? or is there no way to make things that simple?

If I'm using the macbook pro, could I plug a 3.5mm to RCA converter from the headphone jack to the RMX Channel 1-2 and then plug the headphones into the RMX to pre-listen to my other track?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Posted Wed 12 Nov 14 @ 2:18 pm
DJ PhatsoPRO InfinityHercules Support TeamMember since 2005
danetc wrote :

What I really want to know is what the simplest possible way to set this up so I can DJ in my home. I would like to be able to pre-listen to my 2nd track on my headphones while the master track plays out of speakers.

would I be able to plug my desktop speakers into Channel 1&2 of the RMX while running headphones into the RMX headphone jack thereby eliminating the need for the stereo receiver and the bulky stereo speakers? or is there no way to make things that simple?

Indeed, this is the simplest solution for what you want to do, and the beauty of it is that you can use that setup on either PC or MAC.

- Regarding your speakers: not knowing the type and model, I can't really be precise, but you have to remember that your source (the Rmx) will be stereo, so you system should be configured or connected consequently.

- Since it's been a few years, the version of VDJ included with the console is quite outdated, so it might be a good idea to invest into the new VDJ 8 "Controller" edition and use your old licence to get an addition discount :-)

- Speaking of old, you will likely install the most recent drivers for the Rmx. The package includes a full Firmware update, which requires special care to be done correctly. I would advise that you do this on your PC, possibly using a powered USB hub if available and strictly follow the instructions.

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 8:24 am
Ahh that's great to know! Thanks for your confirmation of what I was hoping was true. I'll have to look into Virtual DJ 8 w/ controller support. I assume the RMX is still supported on 8 even though it's a few years old?

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 11:57 am
Will the computer speaker set-up outlined above still work if they're just a standard set of stereo speakers (i.e. a 2.1 setup?)

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 3:24 pm
As mentioned, without knowing the model and type, I can't really tell you exactly what is needed, but most 5.1 speakers will also work with a stereo source (a gaming console or music player), but some configuration might be required for the system to "behave" properly with said source.

For example, some system might have a setting called "Stereo mix" or "Surround" allowing the subwoofer to be used with the only the left and right speakers without having to connect a dedicated sub signal.

The speaker user manual should have all the information on that subject .

Posted Fri 14 Nov 14 @ 10:27 am

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 9:40 am
Indeed, this would work just fine.

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 2:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)