Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Dropbox, Virtual DJ 8, Itunes, Migration from laptop to external. Library management on PC.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, believe me I have searched this issue and can't find concrete answers I understand in regards to my situation. I have always had issues moving my library, and this being a massive move, and dropbox which is new to me I want to make sure I do it right.

I use VDJ 8 (just switched) in conjunction with itunes. Library management and inadequate backups have always been a problem, additionally I really dislike working primarily on my laptop so I would like to get my primary location to be at my PC, or at least be able to work there and sync properly. This will free up my laptop if I need to format, upgrade or want to plug in at any of my computers.

I would like help to migrate my library to be managed on my PC, either directly from my PC or from an external and sync to PC for a backup as well as off site storage drives.

Currently, my library is on my laptop internal slave drive M:=750 gb internal slave. This same laptop has a c/d drive which is a partitioned main drive. D is empty, 350 gigs.
I have a PC with ample space to store the library.
I have a 2 TB HD I just purchased to be a mobile library, the intent is to use as a primary drive and edit at any computer, but I heard drop box folders on drives that eperience failures may result in deleting files.
I am new to drop box andt quite understand the most efficient way to allow itunes, virtual dj and media monkey. I also dont understand how to set "master" drives which takes precedence, for example if I delete a file from a computer do all computers lose that file? Do I configure selective sync to intelligently share files?

So, long and short.. I want at least to be able to play music on my laptop, sort and manage library on my pc(s), maintain configurations and playcounts without old versions or versions stored on other locations over writing my data, and most of all keep my virtual dj settings and library in tact.

I just really could use the whole concept broken down for me, its probably not as difficult as I am making it but I would rather be safe.

Posted Fri 07 Nov 14 @ 9:59 pm

Posted Fri 07 Nov 14 @ 10:06 pm
bump it up

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 2:20 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Please clarify, are you looking to sync your whole media library with Dropbox? If your not aware, a large storage space requires a paid for subscription.

I have been successfully syncing between two laptops, a desktop, and external backup drives for a few years now. I use my LAN to sync between the PC's, and Dropbox to sync a backup of the Virtualdj folder (minus the content unlimited cached files).

There are a few steps involved, and it's not automatic (on purpose). I want to have the option to restore from the backup if I need to because of a mistake or error.

If this is something your looking for, I can help talk you through it.

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 4:05 am
Yes, I basically am tired of the ineffectiveness of trying to maintain my library primarily on my DJ laptop, when i spend most time and am most comfortable on a PC. My backups are behind, if i crash while performing my backup laptop is out dated, i dont carry any sort of external drive that is current, I am tired of wasting so much time working ineffectively and living so dangerously.

Currently I do have a 1 TB dropbox subscription currently paid for 1 month and I would consider another service as I only paid for a month.

So basically I need my PC to become my main base of operations and branch out to external or internal drives and get things flowing better and write some insurance policies. I would like to get a PC and my DJ laptop (either via external or internal drives) to sync'd, and then additionally sync to another external which could be used as a backup or travel drive to plug in at random places. Note worthy:I use itunes, virtual dj, media monkey, tag and rename.

Im sure once i get an initial config setup I will gain some confidence, I appreciate the hell out of any help you offer. If it would be easier to chat by some other means hit me up in a message and we can do from there! thanks you.

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 11:13 am
I think putting the info on the forum would be best, in case it may help someone else as well.

I am looking at some GUI based sync options right now. My option is via command line interface (CLI). I have been using CLI for about 30 years. For some it can be a challenge. I would like to make this as painless as possible with the least amount of regular time consumption.

While I explore the GUI option, please install the power tools from Microsoft that include robocopy. A google search will help you locate it. The installer wants to install a whole bunch more stuff that you may not be interested in. Take the time to read each window and identify what the options are. Also, prepare an external drive that will fit your whole media library, and VDJ folders.

My lunch break is over, I'll have to continue this another time.

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 3:13 pm
I already have the 2 TB drive loaded with about 98% of the contents of my library. Not synced but copied, also copied vdj folder (from all 3 laptop drives) and itunes folder. I work until 4pm cst today then will be home and available, ill inbox you my number maybe text or call when you are ready again. I apologize for not being more prompt to reply. When i get home I will do as you request and get things prepared.

Posted Fri 14 Nov 14 @ 9:14 am
And really, it doesnt need to be to complex.. if my settings can transfer intelligently such as perhaps a SEPERATE location my vdj setting downloads to respective locations which manually needs to be copied in even that is good enough, with itunes that may almost be better since i read abut if 2 itunes open conflict happening. The external I could sync from a third computer probably, or a third party program on PC. Like if I sync an external based on my PC it should be good, I would place most my priority on properly sharing the settings between at least laptop and PC and not over writing one another. But I am all open to options and am pretty decent with computers, modifying the xml of itunes isnt fun but i can do those types of things to change paths for the initial moves etc.

But ill PM ya my #. Tomorrow I have a gig but i will plan on using laptop as it sits for now and download my dropbox contents which are new and just not add to any of my libraries yet.

Posted Fri 14 Nov 14 @ 10:04 am
Please forgive my delay. One of the file sync softwares that I tried to test had a bunch of bloatware/malware. I'm cleaning my system now.

Posted Fri 14 Nov 14 @ 11:01 pm
I reinforced why i wanted help anyway.. was moving things, decided i would copy over network to other pc to save time then while paused i wondered... when i turn it back on i wonder if this will work right... then i thought maybe i should copy the files to my online box to be safe and make sure they had precedence.. well long story short im restoring a lot of files and made a big mess. Im also looking into options here to sync, making it easier before i make it harder kind of thing

Posted Sat 15 Nov 14 @ 2:00 am
If your just looking to have a duplicate library on 2 computers iTunes will sync libraries by using home sharing

Posted Sun 16 Nov 14 @ 4:20 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
*NOTE* I do not use iTunes for library management...I let VDJ do it all.

It sounds like you are wanting to do what I am currently doing but my way is using external drives for the audio/video library. Here's how I do it using External Hard Drives as main source instead of files actually on the laptop (although good to have enough on the laptop encase your external harddrives fail).

2 external hard drives (1 primary 1 backup) - I use "J" as the drive letter for primary drive and backup drive so the VDJ database is the same and my favorite folders are still present across both drives so should I use the backup I don't panic on my favorite folders.

I hook the primary drive to my desktop to add new/delete old music/videos. I use VDJ on my desktop to analyze the new files (I don't make use of playlists, if I have to I do it on the DJ laptop).

When I perform a sync/backup of the main drive I plug it into the desktop and run Syncback Free (http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html). The easiest would be for a full sync that way if you have something on your "backup" drive and not your "primary" it will copy the missing files to your "primary". For help on how to use Syncback watch the Tutorial video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_g8Jru2bQ This video uses an older version but same concepts apply to the new version.

*NOTE* Read all of the screens carefully during installation - I have noticed a trend where some software manufactures are now beginning to "bundle" more "crap" during the installations BUT the pop-up box appears asking IF you want to install those programs...so you can opt out and install the program without the crap or other programs that could eat up memory/processor. Short story...don't just quickly click "next" as you may be "nexting" through something you could have changed the default from Yes to No.

I mentioned above about using the same drive letter for both external harddrives on the DJ laptop - Here's the instructions on how to do that if you do not know how ... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-add-remove-drive-letter#1TC=windows-7

I hope this helps.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 14 @ 11:33 pm
Yeah I need to find a different system I can having a horrible time getting things clicking.. im am fairly confident i will -never- ever ever ever be able to work on my PC which is really what I want secondarily to having adequate emergy plans. Right now I basically am going from my PC or laptop and only using one at a time. I assigned the letter M to my external drive I use on the PC while M is the internal drive on the laptop.

So, I set up a very complicated but simple system, one folder represented C, D and M drives, and reverse synced them. SO when I am working all drives datasbases would be synced back to a respective folder to its counterparts machine basically i wanted insurance each database was unique and in a location of its own. I was able to get my virtual lists going, and everything seemed fine but then i arrived at the gig last night and realize i lost my playcounts for my main M drive, not all but some. So maybe I started virtual DJ on the PC without the M external drive in... I am actually have my library on the PC on a E drive and then try to use a the external as a work around. I could manually sync the database, find a program that automatically backs it up syncs the folders perhaps, then I wouldnt be able to figure out what/why things are wrong.

While it would be cool to have an overly complex system, i need functional. I tried a couple times to work within virtual DJ but i just cant find the niche that feels comfortable and efficient... I mean really I just got 70 gigs of music.. would take me a lifetime to listen to them let alone tag them properly outside of itunes. I also think it would be more logical to not have my library taking up so much space. I still would take guidance, even a simplied version that will allow me to work on my PC and laptop with a backup on hand. I really am down for any ideas, help pretty pleasums.

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 9:55 pm
also id any of you reading have any tips for making the interface in virtual dj work a little better for working within it, let me know!

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 9:56 pm
Well, I am not sure this is the best but this is what I have come up with, and believe me when I say I had many more frustrating nights and mistakes to get this working.

I have used dropbox and bittorrent sync current on 4 computers mainly for seed speed, but also for backup purposes.

So, I have thus far utilized the following computers / locations,. They all have some functionality using dropbox and bittorrent sync.

#1 - PC - Office -
#2 - PC - Office
#3 - Laptop
#4 - PC - Off site

#1-PC - Primary work location for DJ work.
Utilized 2 TB Fantom HD ~$100.00 TD.
*Partition 1 = 1 TB (M:). This mimics the laptops external slave.
*Partition 2 = 600 GB (E:). This partition is the same size as my partition on C on mobile laptop.
*Partition 3/4 assigned V: & U:. These partitions currently store DJ files, backups and some data. A safe house for music while i remove duplicates. The main reason I split into 2 additional partitions is to facilitate configuration options down the road as well as upgrades.
Also has slave of (I:) = 1 TB

PC 2 - Clean install of windows 7, only small 300 GB Hard drive currently.

Laptop
Internal Slave M:=1 TB Unmixed Albums
Partition primary HD (E:) This drive is for my Remix, Remix Service, Promo Pools and EDM. Non essential wedding.gig music, the most of my struggle but the least of my worries.

#4 PC @ Work - Another small HD, about 200 GB currently at my disposal.

So, I have 3 primary things I am backing up.
#1 = Drive of albums
#2 = EDM/Remix Stuff
#3 Archive Music.

This is how I achieved my goal

Office PC - Laptop - Sync Vit Bittorrent remixes and albums via BT sync. this data is on the external drive with partitions.
Office PC - Laptop - Each Virtual DJ database syncs to own folder via BTsync.
Office PC - Laptop - Sync root virtual DJ folder for cache, folders, skins etc.
Office PC - (I:) drive is utilized for dropbox, this 1 TB drive holds all my files NOT in active rotation, and syncs to the cloud.

Office PC 2 - This PC syncs the EDM folder via BT sync, and also Syncs the Remix service complete series via dropbox.

Office PC 2 Only syncs the EDM portal via btsync, and maontains a remix service catalog from dropbox.

Work PC 3 - Currently syncs the active remix service catalog, as well as my dj data, records, documents hosted on dropbox. Very small data synced via btsync mainly stuff i am working on tags with.

I have a 1 TB and 2 TB extenral drive I think I will use at the work location to backup the albums. and ultimately I aim to get my albums, or most of up to a cloud as well. Not the most efficient as I am not a fan of the link sharing and inactive users i get with btsync but its going so far so good. I just have to slow down and not move things around and panic so much... it works if I let it!!

Still as always open to advice or utilities someone may suggest to help this process.

Posted Sat 20 Dec 14 @ 5:06 pm
So after removing malware and getting my system back running smooth, I have gone back to my original command line solution for backing up to my external.
Internally, on my main laptop, I have a single drive decided into two partions. They are lettered C: and D:
C: is my main OS drive, and D: is my main media drive. My backup external is a single drive F:
I will post the contents of a batch file so you can see how I do it. I use a program from Microsoft called robocopy. It is part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit.

robocopy /mir "D:\iTunes Media" "F:\iTunes Media" /xd "D:\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications" "D:\iTunes Media\Books" "D:\iTunes Media\Home Videos"
pause
robocopy /mir "D:\VirtualDJ" "F:\VirtualDJ"
pause
robocopy /mir "C:\Users\madmax\Documents\VirtualDJ" "F:\My Documents VirtualDJ"
pause
robocopy "C:\Users\madmax\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml" "F:\iTunes Music Library.xml"

The pauses are in place just so I can see the progress and such.

Posted Wed 24 Dec 14 @ 4:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)