Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Bar counter instead of beat counter - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi,
Anyone know if it's possible to change the beat counter into a bar counter?
I know I can set it to 64 & divide it by 4 to get my answer but I rather see a real bar counter

Thx

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 9:26 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Should be possible to have that (or even a hybrid 1.1, 1.2 etc ) with skinning, something roughly like (not actual script here)
beatcounter 1 ? return 1 : beatcounter 2 ? return 1 : beatcounter 3 ? return 1 : beatcounter 4 ? return 1 : beatcounter 5 ? return 2 : etc etc

This is just a rough bodge at it I'll bet there'll be many ways, it could be done.
(You could set_bpm 25% and then BPM becomes Bars PM, silly I know :-) )

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 11:21 am
Guess I know what to do tonight, figure out how the skinning works :D

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 11:29 am
Ask on the skinning board, I have a hunch maybe a custom button could keep count of the bars (maybe)

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 11:32 am
The new Rekordbox has a small counter that goes 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1 and so on.

There are also beat grid lines which are red at the start of each bar, and blue for beat 2-4.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 11:38 am
In fact I think I remember seeing a skin with something (graphical) that kept track of Bars, I think it was a V8 skin too.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 11:41 am
Well, tbh, I prefer to keep the original skin & just modify the beatcounter to a barcounter.. kinda love that skin

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 11:46 am
When you say "beat counter" are you referring to the circular things or the oblong blocks?

The code for the blocks is set in the XML to go to bar 1, 2, 3 & 4. (except it's actually going to beats, not bars).

Maybe it'd do what you want if it was changed to go to bar (beat) 1, 5, 9 & 13?

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 12:23 pm

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 12:32 pm
He means the numbers, hence him saying "change to 64 & / 4"

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 12:34 pm
yea, that's what i mean.
any idea where the {internal} skin files are saved to?
Don't see them in the skins map

To any mod, not gonna make a new thread in the skin section, feel free to move this thread, tyvm

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 12:37 pm
The internal skin is literally inside the exe file. There's an xml and png embedded.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 1:04 pm
I guess this means I can't easly modify it?

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 1:10 pm
Wrong use of words there dasouth the 'internal skin' is a just in case things get screwed up. You can't edit it, what you want is the default skins, (easily editable)
Held somewhere like here
C:\Users\YourMachineName\Documents\VirtualDJ\Skins

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 1:15 pm
locodog wrote :
Wrong use of words there dasouth the 'internal skin' is a just in case things get screwed up. You can't edit it, what you want is the default skins, (easily editable)
Held somewhere like here
C:\Users\YourMachineName\Documents\VirtualDJ\Skins

yea, there are a few skins there but not the internal one or a copy from that to edit.
I also can't find theinternal one on the skin download page

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 1:19 pm
The internal skin is inside the program you can't edit it, you want to edit the skins held inside, VirtualDJ 8.zip (same skins just not internal) and then pick this (set of skins) from the interface panel.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 2:23 pm
ok, managed to find the file & open it, now I just need to find what I'm looking for :D

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 2:53 pm
Looks like 2 deck.xml line 828 is one of the wheres

<text size="14" color="#aaaaaa" align="center" weight="bold" action="get_beat_counter"/>

I'd guess the action needs changing, but I am honestly not sure, I'll have a quick tweak.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 3:58 pm
Yea, that's the file & part i was trying
<text size="14" color="#aaaaaa" align="center" weight="bold"

action="get_beat_counter" / 4/>
didn't work, gave me an error
then again, I'm just a car mechanic :D

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 4:06 pm
I'm an electrician and while I didn't get an error I couldn't get it to work, one of the skin markers should have an idea.
On a side note/rant, ITS A BLOODY Computer program it should be able to handle simple maths! /rant

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 4:26 pm
69%