Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: NS7/V7 support/latency

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

G'day!

for those who dislike reading, the 'real' post is down 3 paragraphs down (anyway; to the point...)

Here's my situation (as a serato user). I've just upgraded from DJM400/2xNumark V7 to an NS7ii (happy days!). I was mislead by some forum posts on other sites, and was expecting my new unit to support Serato's DVS upgrade (just out). This meant I could run my old V7's through my computer on Itch, and apply timecode there to have 4x spinning decks in SDJ. Well, they boned me. Multiple Times. No DVS for NS7ii. No multiple SDJ controllers (only 1x SDJ and more 3rd party). And now, worst of all my only options to apply two more platters is running Pioneer CDJs in HID mode (a gloriously huge waste of $$; since I'm used to things like hot cues and strip-search). I won't spend 1-3x as much as my controller (supposedly 'pro quality') on two midi platters; on principle alone.
Numark was kind enough to put out the NDX 500 (or at least announce it), which will have SDJ HID support, but alongside proper platters, it's a toy.

The other day, I see a youtube video of VDJ running a couple of V7's, and it hits me. You guys have actually mapped the HID on Numark spinning platters? only a fistful of programs have successfully(/bothered trying) done that; and the idea sinks in. VDJ has a pretty microsoft reputation (it'll take whatever you plug into it, and work to a degree), but my experience is from VDJ 3.2...It seems to have come a long way since then.

Anyway; to the point:
If VDJ supports the NS7ii (seen on the list), and the V7 (not seen); will it support both at the same time? V7's to Decks 3/4, and all the rest of the decks/mixing/fx on the NS7ii?
Assuming the above setup runs; how is the latency on the platters? Comperable to SDJ/Itch; Timecode; or am I just leaving the motors off?
Am I going to need another sound card somewhere in the mix, or will a Mac/USB Hub/NS7ii sound card suffice? Also, can I expect the headphones (cue mix/split cue) to work similarly, or am I boned there?
Lastly, is it worth reverting to an old OSX for VDJ? I know serato buffs won't drop snow leopard/etc.

Thanks in advance to those who reply. If I can plug all my gear into my mac, and have 4x spinning platters for something other than just a powered demo; I'll buy lifetime VDJ licence TOMORROW.

EDIT: in hind sight I don't know if this goes here, or general inquiry...?

Posted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 1:37 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Both NS7II and V7s are natively supported units, and both should work fine.
However we cant confirm how these could work together nicely, as we had not the chance to have working at the same time.
You can still try that yourself though.
Just download and install version 8 from http://www.virtualdj.com/download/index.html (it will let you play with your setup for 10 mins, each time you re-launch the software)
Goto Config->Controllers tab and assign e.g. the first V7 to deck 3 and the 2nd one to deck 4. (Deck Assignment)
Choose the 4 decks skin
Use the default audio configuration of the NS7II (in the AUDIo tab)

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 12:24 pm
AS IF it's that simple.

I just gave it a test run; the NS7ii went in first, and works fine (as do the V7's); together though, the V7 (i've only got usb ports for 1 right now) seems to want to piggy back off whichever deck the NS7 has selected (1/3 or 2/4). I try'd assigning the V7 t a deck, but I don't know where to do that. Under the controller menu the 'deck' drop down bar is blank/empty. Do I have to go remap the controls button by button (I'll try it if iI have to...)? or is there a simpler way...

Thanks so far (I'm still happy with the progress!)

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 2:39 pm
In the CONTROLLERS tab of Settings, you should be able to see the NS7II and your V7s too and each one should offer "factory default" in the Mappings field if selected. Is that the case ? do you get the "factory default" in the mapping field if you select the V7 from the left side ?
If yes, then there should be a deck assignment option for that.

If not, then i ll need some extra info, but i ll wait for your feedback first.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 2:46 pm
You're right; I guess I was just impatient. I don't know if it was the waiting; or if it was a reboot; but now I can plug them all in, assign them to opposing decks, and (seemingly) mix!

The turntables do odd things when two platters are assigned to the same deck; but that's kind of expected with two spinning inputs. My new challenge is the sound though. Although the buttons and less (and scratching!) seems plenty responsive, and appropriately mapped; I can't seem to get any noise out of the NS7. The headphones are dead; and only the V7 seems to show under sound card selection. In theory I could get by like this, but considering the mix/blend/vol knobs work on the NS7, I'd like to run my phones thru there for simplicity.

The meters are responsive, as are the browsing functions; and I'm surprised to see some of my more expensive music has keys displayed in the info(!). Impressed thus far (not to mention seeing three platters spin gave me a djboner.

EDIT: I should note that I get a pop up that tells me the first controller's plugged in, then the same message with an 'error' header for the second controller (independent of order plugging).

Posted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 2:55 pm
both NS7II and V7 have Mac drivers, which you will need to install from http://www.numark.com/product/ns7ii and http://www.numark.com/product/v7

In Settings ->AUDIO tab of VirtualDJ8, choose the pre-defined audio configuration of the NS7II (the special button you will see at the top).
Connect speakers and headphones to the NS7II
Make sure the Headphones Volume is not muted and at least one Channel is send to the Prelisten Channel (using the PFL buttons)

Posted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 1:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)