Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptop irredeemably broken, how to wipe VDJ License?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HI so the motherboard fried on my laptop and I will be replacing it in the near future. As I understand it my pro license allows me to install onto two computers for my personal use, so that's all fine, as I only ever installed on one machine. However if one license is tied up on a deceased machine, is there anyway of releasing this in case I ever wish to use the option to run a second machine?

Thanks

Stuart

Posted Wed 17 Sep 14 @ 5:33 pm
Are you talking VDJ 7 or 8? Or both?

Posted Wed 17 Sep 14 @ 5:43 pm
I had bought the full version of Virtual DJ 7, and had installed 8 when it became available. I think both versions were still on the machine.

Posted Wed 17 Sep 14 @ 6:12 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Don't worry, you can install V8 on as many machines as you like, because without a log in the software is the home version.
The limitation of 2 machines is literally having 2 machines logged on and in use by you at the same time to perform.
So you have nothing to worry about licence wise.

Posted Wed 17 Sep 14 @ 9:00 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Stuart Rathbone wrote :
However if one license is tied up on a deceased machine, is there anyway of releasing this in case I ever wish to use the option to run a second machine?

Thanks

Stuart

You don't have to release anything. Neither version 8 nor version 7 are bound to the hardware.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 3:58 am
Quote :
you have nothing to worry about licence wise.

You don't have to release anything

What Stuart needs to consider is that the hard drive in that laptop still has the software installed.

VDJ 7 uses a serial number, and VDJ 8 creates a license file once it's been logged in.

That data could potentially be recovered by some unscrupulous type.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 5:16 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Possible if a little far fetched. The V7 serial is registered and the licence.dat is tied to the machine.
This unscrupulous type would have to really know the ins and outs of how the licence works.

Although good security practices demand wiping old HDDs before disposal.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 5:54 am
Ah, ok. The hard drive has been pulled and but in a case to use as an external hard drive, so it won't be used by anyone else.

So when I get a new machine I just install it and enter my serial number and that will be fine because it would only be the second time I have used the license.
But if I wanted to put it onto a back up machine how do Atomix know that the License is not still in use on the original laptop that is now deceased?

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 6:20 am
Only VDJ 7 uses a serial number. VDJ 8 uses your forum login details to determine who you are, and which computer is being used.

The new T&Cs allow you to install VDJ 8 on as many machines as you like. You can however only run two copies at once (both operated by you).

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 6:34 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Stuart Rathbone wrote :
So when I get a new machine I just install it and enter my serial number and that will be fine because it would only be the second time I have used the license.
But if I wanted to put it onto a back up machine how do Atomix know that the License is not still in use on the original laptop that is now deceased?

You could use that licence number to install the software as many times as you want.
The EULA (for version 7) only says, that you are allowed to install the software on two different devices at the same time and run the software on one of this devices at one time.

So if your old laptop is never been used again and for some reason the software is still installed on this laptop but can't be used anymore, I think (and that is my personal opinion) Atomix won't mind.

In doubt just wait if an official will post something or contact the support.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 9:49 am
Ah thanks for that folks. So that's why no license number is listed next to VDJ 8 in my account? Slowly it all begins to make sense :D

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 11:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)