Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 not responding after download to cache 100%

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

As I have been attempting to rely on the new VDJ8 on a daily basis i keep running into issues where I need to resort to my backup notebook running VDJ7, and this intermitient issue is most frustrating. I noticed for the last couple months that once in a while virtual dj would stop responding to any inputs, couldn't scroll or click on anything, but the song currently playing would continue until it was over. Just yesterday i noticed that it happened every single time i would search content unlimited and click download to cache on an audio file. It would load up to 100%(it also appeared on the icon on the dock, and got stuck at 100%, usually it disappears when its done). At this point I would be able to load one more track onto at which point VDJ would stop responding all together. After force quit it functions normally until downloading another song to the cache an had the exact same symptoms. Once i figured this out i did the same thing 5 times in a row with the exact same results regardless of whether i had the controller plugged in or set up as the output device. This morning I downloaded and played 5 songs without any issue. Same 2013 macbook pro, same internet connection, etc. I'm stumped, because this used to happen intermittently and i couldn't figure out what was causing it. I've been through 3 updates since having intermittent no-response issues.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 1:17 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Is the track you have in the deck, or the one you are trying to load to the deck also content unlimited, or even the file that is being downloaded to cache?

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 2:34 pm
wow, I didn't think about those specifics. As I am testing it again I'm noticing that the problem occurs consistently when I follow these specific steps exactly in order:

1. drag a song from content unlimited search results to a deck.
2. click download to cache while that song is sitting in a deck, whether or not It has loaded fully, whether or not it is currently playing. (now it will stop at 100% on the logo on the dock)
3. drag another song (either in library on disk or content unlimited) onto the deck the cached song is sitting in.

I realized this because before caching some songs i would preview them in headphones to make sure of version, etc. The problem does not occur when:
1. if i placed a content unlimited song in a deck to preview, then i drag another song into that deck either Content unlimited or on hard drive, then I download the first song to cache.
2. If song was in deck and then downloaded to cache and got stuck at 100% it will not lock up if only the other deck is used. I don't know of a way to unload a song from a deck outside of dragging something else onto it, and the second that happens, the display will freeze.

Also: If there is a song playing when the display and control freezes, it will always play out until the end. occasionally I can continue to use play controls (cue, play, etc. with keyboard and touchpad control) for a few seconds with a frozen screen before i get the spinning rainbow cursor and all control is gone.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 3:36 pm
I'm having same problem!!!

Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 6:03 pm
Exact same problem here as well. So frustrating!

Posted Wed 14 Jan 15 @ 7:05 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Please download to cache first, then drag&drop the track into a deck... that is how CU will work flawless

Posted Thu 15 Jan 15 @ 12:59 am
Thanks RobRoy! I can confirm, as I have been doing exactly what you mentioned for the past few weeks, It has never frozen again.

Posted Thu 15 Jan 15 @ 2:46 pm
I don't understand why someone would even try (and risk) playing something before it's been downloaded.

To me that's just asking for trouble!

Posted Thu 15 Jan 15 @ 5:59 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Maybe a popup would be nice, to avoid this behaviour. Something like "Track still downloading....."
Just in case it can't be fixed.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 15 @ 1:41 am
Actually sometimes I want to listen to the track first before cramping up my cache directory with useless junk that I have to clean afterwards...
sorry if it's an old topic

but this issue is really messing up my workflow with VDJ8

Posted Sat 12 Sep 15 @ 5:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)