Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Database XML file copy to new laptop - only partial success

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jodyodeaControlleristMember since 2013
Hi - when upgrading to a new PC laptop, I decided to upgrade my Virtual DJ license from V6 to V8. Following the steps in other posts on this forum, I copied the VirtualDJ Database v6.xml to the correct folder on the new laptop. I renamed the file to database.xml (which is the default name for this file in V8). I also made sure that the file structure for my music is exactly the same on both the new and old laptops.

However, my old cue points are not showing on the tracks. But some database information for each track has come through, such as no. of plays and date of last play.

I also copied my historical playlists and they work perfectly on the new laptop, which indicates that I have maintained the same file structure (i.e. none of the music files are missing).

Can anyone help?

Posted Fri 05 Sep 14 @ 11:19 pm
jodyodea wrote :
I renamed the file to database.xml

No - you do not rename the database!

You simply need to start up VDJ 8 when the old database is present. Then VDJ will read the old database and create a new one for VDJ 8 (leaving the old one in place).

Posted Sat 06 Sep 14 @ 3:28 am
jodyodeaControlleristMember since 2013
Thank you - that worked.

Posted Sun 07 Sep 14 @ 5:13 am
Problem :

Ive installed latest version 7 on a new machine all my songs on the old laptop are on drive : D:\ i copied everything on the drive to the new machine BUT drive D:\ is taken by HP Recovery file. I called them cant change THAT I have to use E:\ so how can i change my database xml file to point to E:\

Sorry ben zo gewoon van in het engels te typen, vraag is dus hoe verander ik de verwijzing in de xml database van D:\ naar E:\ op mijn nieuwe HP anders kan ik hem niet meer gebruiken ( zit enkele jaren aanpassingen in).

Bedankt alvast voor jullie hulp :-)

Posted Mon 03 Nov 14 @ 5:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Open the XML with notepad (or the like)

Find and replace all (shortcut Ctrl+H) D:\ with E:\

Posted Mon 03 Nov 14 @ 5:59 pm
FYI: The drive letters inside the database.xml on the songs filepath DO NOT MATTER

VirtualDj is smart enough to "ignore" them and substitute them with the drive letter your drive has when you open VirtualDj.
So please STOP editing the database.xml file

The ONLY files that drive letters DO matter are your playlists which usually are located on your VirtualDj home directory (Documents\VirtualDj\Playlists)
These are m3u files and they are the only files you should edit to restore the links of the files when the drive changes letter.

Thank you!

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 2:04 am
That would have been useful to know 5 months ago.

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 6:39 am
Phantom, does that apply to the database for internal (C:\Users\username\Documents\VirtualDJ) drives too, or just external ones (stored on the drive itself)?

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 9:07 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
groovindj wrote :
Phantom, does that apply to the database for internal (C:\Users\username\Documents\VirtualDJ) drives too, or just external ones (stored on the drive itself)?

It would be nice if it fixed the path for different user names. It would allow syncing between computers to be a little better without editing the database.

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 11:05 am
Explains how I fluked just copying (external to V8) "my music" and dumping it on an external with all the info staying in place.

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 7:44 pm
groovindj wrote :

"Internal" aka MASTER database stores info for all tracks on drive C: AND for tracks for locations that VirtualDj can't create a "local" database (e.g for media read from CD-ROM's, Network Locations, Networks drives, e.t.c)
Therefore the paths are ABSOLUTE and drive letter does matter.

blckjck wrote :

It would be nice if it fixed the path for different user names. It would allow syncing between computers to be a little better without editing the database.

That's not as easy as it sounds.
The "My Music" or "Music" location can be anywhere on your drive as you can move it. It's a lot easier to "move" your "Music" folder than implement the task you ask from inside the software and change the database internally.

If Computer A has C:\Users\Phantom\Music and computer B has C:\Users\GTsag\Music then it's easier to do this:
1. On second computer open the C:\Users directory in file explorer
2. Create a subfolder named "Phantom"
3. Open the "Phantom" folder and create a subfolder "Music"
4. On the left pane of file explorer right click on "Music" element / special folder and select properties
5. Click on the "Location" tab.
6. Click on "Move" button, browse the "C:\Users\Phantom" directory and hit Apply
7. The OS will ask you if you want to move the files from old position to new. Answer YES

Done!!!

It may sound complex but it's very easy and it only takes a couple of clicks!!!

Posted Wed 05 Nov 14 @ 4:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)