Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJscript Question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vdbocPRO (legacy)Member since 2013
How would I write a script to accomplish the following? If the difference in BPM between the two loaded songs is less than a certain amount (call it X), then play_sync, otherwise play.

The logic is this:
if (difference in BPM between deck 1 and deck 2) < X
then play_sync
else play

The expression in VDJscript might look something like this:
if difference between "deck 1 get loaded_song 'bpm'" and "deck 2 get loaded_song 'bpm'" < X ? play_sync : play

If anyone can figure out exactly how to do this, please let me know.

Thank you!

Posted Mon 01 Sep 14 @ 11:51 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I don't really understand the scope, I get what you want to do, but not why you'd want to do it. (you can do it manually)

I had a couple of attempts and I can't see a way, if someone else knows I'd be interested.

Posted Tue 02 Sep 14 @ 8:19 am
I don't know the exact syntax but there is a value called get_bpm_match that returns 0.5 if the bpm's are in sync. so the script would be something like:

get_bpm_match = 0.5 ? play : play_sync

if you just want to match bpm without realigning the beatgrid, you could use something like this:

get_bpm_match = 0.5 ? play : match_bpm & play

If you can work out what the values are for the tolerance that you need, you can probably do something like > 0.45 or < 0.55 to achieve the effect for nearby bpm's.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 2:55 am
Thank you, sjlwoods, for your thoughtful reply.

However, I am having an impossible time trying to implement this. First, there are no operators such as = or > or < in VDJscript. The only thing I can find is comparison of variables, such as var_smaller and var_larger. This requires first setting the value of get_bpm_match into a variable then doing the comparison, linking the two commands with "&". I cannot get this to work. Also... even if it did work, it would require something like an absolute-value function before comparing the figures. Ugh.

Again... if anyone can figure out an EXACT syntax for accomplishing this in VDJscript, please advise.

Thank you.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 3:54 pm
I strongly think it isn't possible, VDJ script can do surprisingly little maths for a scripting language.
If you only wanted pitch 1 == pitch 2 ? sync & play : play,
that would be possible , but you want

pitch 1 => pitch 2 * 0.95 ? pitch 2 =< pitch 2 * 1.05 ? sync & play : play : play

And you just can't do that.

I wish you could, under the hood V8 HAS to be able to do this and I'd have a few applications for it but not possible yet.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 4:49 pm
Thank you for another thoughtful reply, locodog.

Just to put this into perspective... this programming idea is far from necessary. It would be a nice touch and a good safeguard to add to play_syn... but that's all, definitely not anything that is critical. Was just wondering if it could be done, since I wasn't having much luck. Thanks.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 7:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
at least that could be done with VDJScript (I think)
get_bpm_match = 0.5 ? play : match_bpm & play

should be either

get_bpm_match param_equal 0.5 ? play : match_bpm & play

or

param_equal get_bpm_match 0.5 ? play : match_bpm & play

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 8:29 am
Aye like I said testing for exact match is no problem, (There are a few ways it can be done) but to test a unknown number within tolerances can't be done.

Posted Sun 07 Sep 14 @ 2:04 pm
How about:

get_bpm_match & param_greater 0.6 ? play : get_bpm_match & param_smaller 0.4 ? play : play_sync

Would that work?

Regards,
Duggy.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 5:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)