Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sampler Fun

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok.. so I've been messing around with some EDM music and played with some of the default INSTRUMENT samples... I really like what VDJ has some with the sampling portion of their program. I especially like how I can change the 'beats' of the samples as some of them play....It's really nice because I can take a kick from 8 down to 2 and the hi-hats from 8 to 1/2 to give me that typically disco beat. The only thing is that I'm stuck using my keyboard for all of this activity....yuck... My VMS4.1 console I don't think can help me mange the sampling portion because of how I think these lists of instruments are written. However, I do own a NI Maschine which is a 4x4 (16 pads) controller and I thought... how cool would it be that pad 1-12 turn on/off a #1-12 from that sample list and allow 13-16 to manage the measures 1/8 1/4 1/2 and 1 or something like that.

Does anyone if this is at all possible. I realize that this is a new feature to VDJ but what a cool one. Right now, I use my NI to play along with songs live but using some of the built-in features would be cool.

Also while I'm on the subject of NI and midi.... does anyone know if I do something like this.... while VDJ is playing, allow me to record some beats (before hand) and then when I'm playing live, allow VDJ to synch up my a loaded beat on my NI deck? It would be so cool to somehow integrate the two applications into my show. I know what I'm asking for is probably crazy but I guess the creativity in me needs a new avenue.

joe....

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:45 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
All possible 1-12 for pads 1-12, 13 and pad = pad 1/2. 14 & pad = pad double, 15 toggle play mode, It's all very customisable.

Record your finger drumming as either a sample or a recording, sort out the CBG loop. map the maschine to the slicer effect, go mad.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 6:18 pm
locodog wrote :
All possible 1-12 for pads 1-12, 13 and pad = pad 1/2. 14 & pad = pad double, 15 toggle play mode, It's all very customisable.

Record your finger drumming as either a sample or a recording, sort out the CBG loop. map the maschine to the slicer effect, go mad.

Thanks for telling me this is possible.... now I've got to make it work... unfortunately I'm a noob at all this. Do you know of a place I can go to obtain some doc that can help me with all of this?

thanks,

joe...

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 12:24 pm
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJscript.html

Although you might struggle as this is V7 info,
I've had a go at this myself and things aren't quite as simple as they could be. It can still be done, I'll be doing this for my own controller so give me a couple of days
Does this setup seem agreeable?

1-12 for pads 1-12,
13 and pad = pad 1/2.
14 & pad = pad double,
13 & 14 = all pads 1/2
14 & 15 = all pads double
15 all pads stop
16 toggle play modes

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 2:50 pm
locodog wrote :
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJscript.html

Although you might struggle as this is V7 info,
I've had a go at this myself and things aren't quite as simple as they could be. It can still be done, I'll be doing this for my own controller so give me a couple of days
Does this setup seem agreeable?

1-12 for pads 1-12,
13 and pad = pad 1/2.
14 & pad = pad double,
13 & 14 = all pads 1/2
14 & 15 = all pads double
15 all pads stop
16 toggle play modes

I think that would work... It nice the VDJ8 has this feature.... I wonder how many people use VDJ as a software app only versus in conjunction with a controller.

thanks!

joe...

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 2:57 pm
I do, (my controller is a construction hobby) my keyboard is VERY busy, I'm sure my cat is trying to make breakcore when it walks across my keyboard.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 4:02 pm
Ok, actually a lot easier than I thought, I'll guess that you know how to assign scripts to buttons,

{Button} Script
{1 } sampler_pad 1
.... [You can do the rest up to]
{12 } sampler_pad 12
{13 & 1} sampler 1 loop -1
....... [And again up to]
{13 & 12} sampler 12 loop -1
{14 & 1} sampler 1 loop +1
..... [you know the drill up to 12]
{13 & 14} sampler 1 loop -1 & sampler 2 loop -1 & sampler 3 loop -1 & [keep doing this until you get to] sampler 12 loop -1
{14 & 15} [exactly the same as the last script but change all the - to +]
{15} sampler all stop
{16} sampler_mode
{14 & 16} sampler_rec 'master'

And that leaves 13 & 15, 13 & 16, for I don't know, changing banks or something

sampler_bank -1
sampler_bank+1

15 & 16 We'll save for later so you can use the maschine for more things than just samples

Here's a Vid with a link to a sample pack* (djtechtools signup required)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPDsW_n8F5o

Posted Thu 12 Jun 14 @ 8:14 pm
well.... assume nothing.....

All I know is this..

I own VDJ8 running in my laptop. Using my VMS4.1 controller (with VdJ7 skins) I can control my VDJ8 software....

I have NO idea how to use my Maschine as a midi controller to my system since neither my laptop or controller has midi in/out capabilities.. I'm guessing I'll need a USB-MIDI adapter so I can push maschine midi to my USB port but I have no idea on how to have talk to VDJ8..

As for writing scripts and such...I'm a COBOL programmer at heart stuck in this new world... With proper documentation, I usually can figure things out.

joe...

Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 @ 5:02 pm

Posted Sat 14 Jun 14 @ 3:56 am
I don't think you'll need any additional MIDI interface.

The Maschine controller communicates to the computer via the USB cable. The MIDI sockets are only there to allow connection of older or non-USB kit.

You will have to switch the Maschine controller into MIDI mode manually though.

It'll appear in the VDJ mapping area as a simple MIDI device, and you can do basic assignment there, but to get the full monty you'll need to follow this -> controller definition

Posted Sat 14 Jun 14 @ 4:21 am
Switching to MIDI mode makes it sound like it has other modes, will it work under the HID protocol?

Posted Sat 14 Jun 14 @ 8:29 am
Ok.. my Maschine can act as a MIDI controller as well.. So, I was able to tell VDJ8 that when I press button 1 on my Maschine, to turn on the sample in slot 1 and so forth to to sample 12. What I can figure out yet is how to manage the beats... yeah...

joe...

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 12:48 am
Ok so you have done the easiest ones, you can probably follow the long post of mine above
Press button 1 and button 13, add this script to that button combo
sampler 1 loop -1

button 2 & 13

sampler 2 loop -1

3 & 13 etc

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 10:56 am
I will look at the combo parts next although I wonder if the "loops" qualifier refers to how many bars the loops samples for and not what the beat count is. I started a new thread to ask what midi word modifies that part.

Thanks again for your time in responding

Joe.

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 1:10 pm
The loop -1 command 1/2's the amount of beats in the loop (1/2 the duration) loop + 1 doubles the duration

How long the sample plays for, is dependent on the play mode, which is also set by button presses

Ok in the mapper window press button 1 & button 13 at the same time, you should be the be able to map a command to this button combo

add this script to that combo

sampler 1 loop -1

this will half the duration on sample 1, now press 2 & 13 at the same time this time add this script to

sampler 2 loop -1,
I hope this is becoming clear do the same up to button 12 & 13
sampler 12 loop -1

Now do 1 & 14
sampler 1 loop +1

If you cant get the mapper to allow button combos there is another way but try that first (to save me a lot of typing)

also button 16 add this script , it will change how the samples play (there are 4 possible options)
sampler_mode

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 2:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)