Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: AutoGain Not Working At All [SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, My autogain use to work great in V7, when I would load a song it would automatically try to keep the song at 0db and worked excellent. But now that I upgraded to V8, which I LOVE, the autogain hasn't been working at all. I did make sure everything was set up correctly in the settings, and I did rescan my entire music library to see if that would solve anything but it didn't. When I load the song, the gain always stays at 0, weather I load the song manually, or even when I use the automix. I first tried the settings at Auto + Remember, but that didn't seem to work, so i rescanned my library an set it to just Auto, then tried again Auto + Remember and none of those options made a difference.

Normally when I used the automix all songs came out right about the same level, but now, one song will be super loud, and the other super soft, because of the autogain not working.

Please Help!!! Thank You!

Here is my system specs. And yes, V8 is fully updated.

ASUS G750JH-DB71 Laptop
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 256bit w/4.0GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7-4700HQ (2.4~3.4GHz) w/6M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
32GB (4x8GB) DDR3/1600 Dual Channel Memory
256GB (2x 128GB) mSATA III SSD in Super RAID 0
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SATA III Solid State Drive
6x Blu-Ray Read-Write/8x Super Multi Combo Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 10:20 am
We hope to have fixed the automix/gain issue in a forthcoming build.

Please keep an eye open for it.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 10:21 am
ok , great,

Thank you for a quick response, Ive have a few very minor issues with the software, but this was the only one that bugged me, other then that it works great!!! Can't wait to see the future updates!

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 10:23 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If the gain is showing 0dB it means everything is already working properly :)

In VDJ8, the gain slider is in the center when the song is at 0dB.
This is different from VDJ7, where the gain slider was showing the amount of gain required to reach 0dB.

If you want the v7 visualisation back, you can disable the gainsliderIncludesAutoGain option.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 10:31 am
Adion wrote :
If the gain is showing 0dB it means everything is already working properly :)

In VDJ8, the gain slider is in the center when the song is at 0dB.
This is different from VDJ7, where the gain slider was showing the amount of gain required to reach 0dB.

If you want the v7 visualisation back, you can disable the gainsliderIncludesAutoGain option.

Although it may look like its working, the volume of each song is clearly not really 0db, one song will come out extremely loud, and the next one might be even louder, or extremely quiet. With V7 I never had to adjust the volume slider as the songs were all autogained to the same level.

djtouchdan confirmed they know about the issue.

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 11:28 am
sas2005PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Auto gain still not working on my VDJ8 latest build as of 3/11/15.

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 7:52 am
sas2005 wrote :
Auto gain still not working on my VDJ8 latest build as of 3/11/15.

What is vdj doing that makes you think it's not working?

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 8:03 am
In VDJ7, the gain knob would visibly move to raise or lower the gain to bring the mp3 to 0 dB. However, in VDJ8, for the same song that would have the gain knob automatically raised in VDJ7 and for a song that would have the gain knob automatically lower the gain in VDJ7, in VDJ8, the gain knob did not move and it is not clear audibly if the gain was adjusted to 0 dB.

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 10:39 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
By default in vdj8 the gain knob indeed stays at 12 o'clock when autogain is applied, to make it easier to adjust the gain from controllers.

If you want to visibly see the knob move as in vdj 7, you can use the gainsliderIncludesAutogain option, but this is not required for correct functioning.

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 10:55 am
I have the gainsliderincludesAutoGain checked yes, but the knobs still do not move

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 11:16 am
I see, it should be turned to no, thank you. I'll listen for it

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 11:18 am
Is the problem which is described resolved? Bcse I do have the same issue. If I leave auto gain to VDJ the knob indeed stays at 12 o'clock however most if not all of songs are clipping quite a bit and the leds clearly indicate this with red oversteering. I need to reduce with at least 5 db to get rid of clipping. Once done that if I make a new playlist under VDJ and drag songs into that new playlist all songs have lost the manual db adjustment even though I have selected auto+remeber in the controller options.

Posted Sun 24 May 15 @ 8:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Set the option "zeroDB" to -3 or -6 db.

Posted Mon 25 May 15 @ 3:13 am
I think this only happened for songs that were originally in the v7 database. All new songs added to V8 are analysed almost perfectly (sometimes have to move gain a little negatively to ensure the loud parts of the song are not getting compressed by more than 10percent. This was a major problem a long time ago and I had thousands of files with incorrect gains (originally all of them from V7). I spent a lot of time going through the files correcting the gain error. Also all of the start and stop points of interest were incorrectly ported across from v7 to v8 and again this took a lot of time to sort out. I love V8 so I have put aside my time to make these corrections. One word of warning - don't try to fix the gains if you have an automix loaded.... there must be some kind of database lockout as all tweaks to the gains will be ignored!!!

Posted Fri 29 May 15 @ 12:23 am
I always thought the same thing since v8 came out and of course since I change my controller from a pair of numark v7s to the pioneer ddj sz I knotice that iin deed autogain its not workin....properly because all of you like me I bet are using controllers that work as a external mixer if so by default vdj mixer work as a fake mixer, just try using your mouse on the gain and the waves and all look like its working but the audio doesnt change so autogain dosnt work, so to fix this just go to config, controllers select your controller and go to ONINIT and erase only where it says "& fake_gain on" and also do the same thing on ONEXIT restart vdj and baam auto gain now works perfectly just becarefull with the gain from now on it will be twice as louder.

Posted Fri 28 Aug 15 @ 10:46 pm
GSFonzyPRO InfinityMember since 2010
NVM.

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 12:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)