Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio 14MXR and virtual DJ channel selection

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find any recent posts of this kind.

I have the American Audio 14MXR, running Virtual DJ LE 7 on the 20 day Pro trial right now.

I'm trying to assign virtual deck 1 and 2 exclusively to channel 1 and 4 on the 14MXR for USB digital output.

Channel 2 and 3 are phono level channels which I am using with my two vinyl turntables with normal vinyl records being externally amplified and then through passive speakers.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get USB audio output through channel 1 and 4 on the mixer.

When I swap the channels around, having the turntables on channel 1 and 4 of the mixer, the output volume is too low and I have to really amp up for it to sound as good.

I could simply just use the two channels and switch between USB and analogue via the mixer selector switch when I want to use virtual DJ but it seems stupid to not be able to use the other two channels exclusively for USB output. I wanted to be able to mix 4 channels of music simultaneously.

Can you help me set up the audio preferences on Virtual DJ to get this to work?

Posted Thu 06 Mar 14 @ 7:59 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
There are 2 solutions, the way i see it..

1. Get some phono pre-amplifiers for your TTs, in order to use the LineIns of CH3,4

2. Do a lot of things to modify the default mapper, which wont stay, once the Trial is expired.

About 2.. you need to -
- set the Output of Midilogs to CH1 and CH4 from AA Sound Config.
- Modify the mapper .. you need to set to nothing (or delete) all the EQ, Volume and gain Keys of the mapper and map the CH3 and CH4 keys like the others ..e.g. deck 3 fake_volume, deck 3 fake_eq_low, deck 4 fake_volume etc
- have the AA MXR in Mixer Mode

But still,i havent tried the above, its all in theory. Thats why i would recommend you solution 1

Posted Thu 06 Mar 14 @ 4:24 pm
Hi there, thanks so much for your help. I've been in contact with AA EU and they also directed me to the ASIO AA MXR settings *not the virual DJ set up config. I'm waiting on them to get back to me. I've tried different variations of changing the options there but I still can't get any USB output to midi log channel 1 or 4. I'd prefer to try everything possible before going down the route of purchasing more gear for the phono inputs. Surely I should be able to assign USB output to channel 1 or 4 regardless of whether I was using turntables or not, I mean the selector switch is there so those channels must be functional. Can you help me more with the AA ADJ ASIO Settings or with the more advanced settings found in the Virtual DJ config. I'm not sure what I need to change and where.

Posted Fri 07 Mar 14 @ 7:45 am
As above, the Audio routing is one thing.. But unfortunately, you will need more than this, in order to get CH1 and Ch4 to work with VirtualDJ as decks 1 and 2.
The most important part, is that you will need a license of Pro Full version in order to change the mapping if the device or use the Controller Mode of the unit.

If you intend to keep the LE version (and not upgrade to Pro Full version at a discount), i am afraid that only Midilogs CH2 and 3 can be used as software ones.

Posted Fri 07 Mar 14 @ 3:08 pm
Thanks for your help. Do you think I am unable to change the mapping to channels 1 and 4 via the VDJ Pro trial version I am currently using now then? Is that insufficient even now? I've tried the mixer in controller mode and even with American Audio's EU support team, I've still been unable to get any kind of USB output through channel 1 and 4. Could you guide me through the set up for Virtual DJ config/AA Asio driver to see if we can get it to work?

Cheers

Posted Mon 10 Mar 14 @ 9:20 am
It's not 100% clear, but it seems to me (after a read of the 14MXR manual) that when the mixer is in "mixer mode" (and VDJ set to "external mixer") the only two channels that can be used for USB audio are 2+3.

Although it's a four channel mixer, it doesn't actually have enough USB audio channels to feed all four mixer channels. I reckon it's only a two stereo output interface that's hard wired to 2+3. This should be clear by the number of available channels in the 14MXR ASIO driver.

In "controller mode" (with VDJ set to master+headphone) you should be able to have sound from VDJ on all four mixer channels (using a four deck skin) but then it's VDJ that's mixing the audio to a master output, and the 14MXR is acting as a remote control for the on screen VDJ mixer. In theory you should then be able to switch channels 2+3 of the 14MXR to analogue.

Posted Mon 10 Mar 14 @ 10:43 am
Wow!

It's working now, with your advise I changed VDJ to a 4 skin mode and put tracks playing on all four decks and with midilog 2 and 3 on analog as I desired, I've been able to get tracks playing via midilog channel 1 and 4 on VDJ deck (3 left) and (4 right).

Perfect, I'll leave it as it is now.

Thanks a million.

Posted Mon 10 Mar 14 @ 12:28 pm
Hi all!

I bought a mixer 14MXR in January 2014 and until now not managed to set up all devices the way I need. I have a pair of 1200 and would like to use them for timecode. Soon, I would do the following in my Virtual DJ Pro:

Channel 1 -> Deck 3 using all LED buttons on the left (1,2,3, Sync, Cue and Play / Pause) mixer;

Channel 2 -> Deck 1 1200 left for timecode

Channel 3 -> Deck 2 1200 right for timecode

Channel 4 -> Deck 4 using all the right buttons LED (1,2,3, Sync, Cue and Play / Pause) mixer;

Currently the LED buttons mixer only work for channels 2 and 3 and I do not need them for these channels ... need some help, because I'm already thinking of selling the mixer because not meet my need ...

Thanks

Posted Tue 30 Sep 14 @ 9:24 pm
If you want to use Timecodes and 4 decks, then you will need another sound card too, as the 14MXR only routes Midilogs 2 and 3 as Inputs (for Timecode) and the Midilogs 1 and 4 can be used only as analogue Sources.

Even though this document is for version 8, you may get some idea on how the sound card of the 14MXr routes the channels. http://www.virtualdj.com/documents/American%20Audio%2014MXR%20-%20VirtualDJ%208%20Operation%20Guide.pdf

Note, that the Controller mode (pure midi), which could be useful to use the transport button properly and Timecode Control is not supported in LE version. If you have purchased a license of Pro Infinity, please register your serial number to your account.

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 5:00 am
Hi DJDad!
Thanks for you reply!

After spent a lot of time trying to set it up and reading tons of docs, i realize that it doesnt work as i would like to..
It´s hard to me understand that i gonna need it just for re-mapping 12 LED buttons... Can i undestand: 14 MXR isn't 4 USB channels when playing timecodes?

If i plug a simple usb sound card, set it up for deck 3 in channel 1, could i map the left LED butons for control it?

Can a new device definition file help us w/ this challenge?

I just want to use led buttons for channel 1 and 4 and timecodes(vynil) for 2 and 3....

I was thinking to buy 2x U-Control UAC-222, and plug my TT´s on channels 1 and 4...
but this channels aren´t PHONO.... Do you know if this sound card is a phono preamp like U-Phono UFO 202?

A friend made an upgrade in his setup and gave up to use VDJ, so he sold me his old laptop
with VDJ Pro installed... I will try to talk him about serial number....

Anyway, can you give me some direction?

I dont know if it can help, but this is my resources:

- AA 14 MXR;

- 2x SL 1210 MK2;

- Pair of CV02 and a pair of CV2.5;

- 2x USB 3D sound card(simple and cheap);

- Dell Vostro i5 6Gb Ram, Win7 x64;

- VDJ 7.4.1

Thanks

Posted Mon 06 Oct 14 @ 11:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)