Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: "cannot type in search" - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

sternboHome userMember since 2013
Sometimes I cannot type in the search box at all for a few minutes. I can still load from folders but cannot search. After a few minutes it goes back to normal. Anyone every ran into the "cannot type in search" issue?
When I cannot type in search I can use windows and do a bogus search for just a second, I can then stop that search, go back to Virtual DJ and type in the search box.
I want to purchase the pro version but until I find out this Windows 8.1 problem with the home version, I am not going to spend my hard earned money. It works flawlessly on an old XP computer I have. Any ideas?

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 3:37 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Haha, this has been happening a lot to me lately as well, I thought it was just a problem with my own set up, it started where after a couple of minutes I could get back into the search field but now I'm having to close the programme and restart while using my back up players.

Now I know it's not just my set up I feel a little better, lol. But would still love to get it sorted.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 3:49 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
@Paul (tayla), do you also run windows 8.1 ?

@both, do you use a USB external Hard Drive ?

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 5:26 pm
I run windows 7 with external hard drive.

When the problem occurs which can hit at anytime I'm still able to scroll through the whole library and place tunes onto either deck and if I can remember rightly I don't loose functions to the rest of the programme.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 5:48 pm
When this happens, try clicking on the main song list and back on the search box again.

This is usually caused by the search box losing focus and may be caused by one of the plugins that you are using.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 5:53 pm
Yeah, I've tried clicking on the library window and back onto search box but no luck I'm afraid.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 6:10 pm
You need to click on an actual file in the song list (so that it highlights) and then back in search box. If this doesn't work then the issue may be caused by something else.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 6:51 pm
Ok, I'm sure I've done that but will remember to make sure I do the next time it happens, I'll also check to see if a particular plugin is been used at the time.

Cheers.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 8:27 pm
Hi, I do not use an external drive. I use Windows 8.1. When this happens I can minimize the player and do any windows search then return to the program and it works fine. It may do this once a night or 10 times. I'll try the clicking on files but it seems to be a Windows 8 problem. It does not do this with my XP computer.

Posted Fri 03 Jan 14 @ 2:53 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
thats happened to me once.. i use W7 version 7.4 on my asus, all my music is on my 2nd hard drive.
if it happens again ill video record it

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 4:26 am
Hate to say this, but tonight the first time, somehow I can't type or use the keyboard for anything.

It's a Asus Laptop, I don'[t use external keyboard, just what's on laptop.
The ENTIRE KEYs are inactive (nothing worked).

I had to close VDJ and re-start and it went OK all night with no problem.

Posted Sun 12 Jan 14 @ 7:27 pm
Well since there doesn't seem to be an answer I suppose I will start searching for another program to buy. That is if my search will work. lol

Posted Mon 13 Jan 14 @ 2:25 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I've had this with plugins in the past when focus has been lost; opening config then closing usually did it for me until I fixed the plugins!

Posted Mon 13 Jan 14 @ 4:14 pm
Have you guys got indexing enabled over the whole hard drive?

Posted Mon 13 Jan 14 @ 4:43 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
sternbo wrote :
Well since there doesn't seem to be an answer I suppose I will start searching for another program to buy. That is if my search will work. lol

no one is forcing you to stay

Posted Mon 13 Jan 14 @ 9:40 pm
Unfortunately still happening to me, went two nights without any problems then appeared once again, doesn't seem to have any format to it happening whether I'm running a plugin or not.

The only consistent thing running is clipbank, I'd stopped using a particular plugin for two nights and had no hiccups, but even when using without it it still happened.

Yet I can still scroll down entire list and drag and drop tunes onto decks, normally it would clear itself after a few tunes but only a restart will fix it now and sometimes it will happen even after the first search is made.

Has me beat, if I can come across an answer or fix I will post it up.

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 1:49 pm
I've found that minimizing Virtual DJ and doing a quick windows search and then return to VDJ it works fine. No reason to restart the program

Posted Tue 11 Feb 14 @ 7:52 pm
dfyffePRO InfinityMember since 2003
I notice if I activate SBDJ Scrolltext v1.57, my keyboard stop working. The only way to get it working again, is opening and closing the config window. I don't know if any of you is using scrolltext, but this always happen with scrolltext. It also happen if I make any changes in scrolltext after it is activated, but I get so use to it know, that I always open and close the config window, as I always use scrolltext in my video gigs. I have not noticed this happening with any other plugin.

Posted Sun 16 Feb 14 @ 4:26 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I too use Scrolltext v1.x but don't have this problems.

Posted Mon 17 Feb 14 @ 9:45 am
I get this problem from time to time.

The quickest fix I have found is to have a text-based program open on the computer with some text in it. (I use a notepad window with a single word typed in.)

I double-click the word to select it, copy it with Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V to paste it into the VDJ Search box, where it appears. I can then use the Search box as normal.

Interestingly, this does not work if the text is already on the clipboard, so it may also be a focus-switching problem.

Weird...

Regards,
Duggy Fresh.
Inferno Disco.

Posted Sun 23 Mar 14 @ 12:42 pm
87%