Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Skinning in VDJ 8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
After watching the LV expo and v8.0 beta going live, I'm curious as to what the deal is for skinning, will I be able to reskin with trusty M$Paint? Will v8 be backwards compatible with v7 skins? (I appreciate this would be a lack of functionality)

Could a v8 SDK page be published prior the v8 going live?

As you can tell I'm hungry for any info I can get.

If revealing this info breaks the NDA, Admin please delete this thread.

Posted Thu 26 Dec 13 @ 6:37 pm
you really shouldn't use paint, it doesn't offer undo, rulers, guides or enable you to move objects once they are created because all it does is paint pixels not create vectors and fill them with colors and gradients. Better options are gimp or paint.net which are photoshop replacements or inkscape which is an illustrator replacement, I sometimes use inkscape to create SVG files for web design, it's a great program. All are open source.

I don't know anything about VDJ8 but it has been said in the past that it will support alpha layers of png files so if you want to take advantage of that you wouldn't be able to use paint. You could use paint for creating a bitmap like in the current version, but again for the reasons above you are making it unnecessarily hard on yourself.

If you wan't to get started on a skin just start making the visual assets now then code it later when the skinning api documentation is released. I was surprised that it took longer to design the look than to code basic functionality to get it working.

Remember you will need to purchase Pro to be able to use skins and have the ability to buy to the skin creator app. Without the skin creator it would take a much longer time to code the skin as you would have to type everything in your text editor of choice, then refresh the skin in VDJ to see the result. And I don't even want to talk about the errors you would get with no way to locate them.

Posted Thu 26 Dec 13 @ 7:38 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
All we can say for now, is that backwards compatibility is secured. All version 7 skins will work/run fine with version 8, and those will get resized on the fly as well.

Posted Fri 27 Dec 13 @ 1:17 am
djdad wrote :
All we can say for now, is that backwards compatibility is secured. All version 7 skins will work/run fine with version 8, and those will get resized on the fly as well.

good because i have a skin wich is perfect for my 4 deck mixing :D

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 8:52 am
I get the feeling (scratch that) I know any V7 skin will need to be completely redone to utilise the cool new functions of V8 but with the practice I've had with M$paint and a few home-brew programs for splitting/packing alpha channels (et al) It won't be too difficult.
(I'll be looking at gimp if it isn't too steep a learning cliff, Ill adopt that.)

I might end up using bits of string and have pencil marks on my screen, but nothing is impossible with some madness in the method.

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 10:37 am
I still think it's crazy to use paint when you could learn all of the equivalent functions in any other program in about an hour of playing around, then if you spend a little more time learning on youtube or the programs wiki's you will far surpass paints abilities. it's a case of spending a little more time to get started, but saving yourself hours in the long run.

I would love to see what you made with paint though.

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 10:51 am
Nothing particularly fancy, I just take elements from the default skins and reduce stuff to raw information (because I don't use the mouse when playing out), I move stuff to where it make more sense to me, little stuff like not having the top waveforms fade, I don't need a great looking skin I need a functional skin (I'm thinking of doing away with the platters), I've had other dj's have a look and they're like "What have you done? Where's this button?" but when I show them I've mapped the keyboard they're impressed.

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 1:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)