Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: See the track position when using a roll command

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Hi again all, I've been off VDJ for a short while but have a question,

Is it possible to see where vdj will return to whist using a roll command (either loop_roll or just roll), at present the only way to know where it will return is either a mental beat count or time count, is there anyway to skin the absolute track position on to the wave form.

Or is there another way (as with most things vdj there are) maybe something with a "get command"

Posted Tue 19 Nov 13 @ 2:22 pm
no it's not possible currently, you should request it in the wishes thread.

Posted Tue 19 Nov 13 @ 2:29 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Before Slip mode was implemented, the trick to achieve almost the same behavior, was to clone the playing deck in a spare deck and get it back when "the fake slip mode" was disabled.
I suppose, you could do something similar (clone the deck to a spare deck when SLip mode is enabled) and show the songposition or the Rhtyhm wave of that cloned deck on the skin), but thats jut a rough workaround. Havent tried it , but in theory it should work.

The big problem with this workaround is that it requires from user to use the modified "Smart Slip mode" button from the skin, which will clone the playing deck to the spare one.

Posted Tue 19 Nov 13 @ 2:32 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, I have a bit of a work around similar to DJ Dad's suggestion, But it is very specific to how I use VDJ.
I used 2 laptops using only one deck on each for music output, to keep things sync'd I play a click track looped on each spare deck, so putting a beat counter text zone will tell me when I'm coming up to a 32 or 64 (I also use hotcues to mark out 64s or 128s on the waveform)

I'm out of practice with scripts but I have a feeling it is possible for standard users

Something roughly like

Enter roll mode
get bpm
reset session timer
multiply bpm by session timer = beats since roll mode was activated.

or maybe a counter that does similar (bpm*time) that counts to 64 then resets back to 1 but also has a reset button for when tracks break phase

Is the any possibility with some sort of counter like I mention above?

Posted Wed 20 Nov 13 @ 5:40 am
you could do it with a plugin, but I don't think it's possible in VDJScript

Posted Wed 20 Nov 13 @ 5:56 am
Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009
there is a tutorial somewhere for creating plug ?

I'm interested

Posted Wed 20 Nov 13 @ 8:48 am
As per usual, it's vague and in the wiki ;)

Posted Wed 20 Nov 13 @ 1:20 pm
not really, there is a few threads on it, but you need to understand C++ to be able to do it as the general response is "all the information you need is in the headers" I tried to learn C++ a while ago but gave up as it was all "hello world" and fundamentals stuff on youtube tutorials. I would love to see a tutorial specific to VDJ Plugins either written or in video format though.

Posted Wed 20 Nov 13 @ 4:38 pm
A third deck playing a looped click track with a hotcue on beat 1(as a reset count) with a Bposition textzone would be a hacky work around for standard users.

Posted Tue 03 Dec 13 @ 6:44 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)