Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: I have been living in Nightmare City this week, Mac HD died!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Had probably the worst week of my life. Last Sunday my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro hard drive died. Couldn’t reboot my Mac. I guessed it was the hard drive, confirmed by the Apple guys on Tuesday. Managed to make an image copy of the Bootcamp partition containing all my DJ work. But, couldn’t image the Apple partition due to the faults……. and no, I don’t use Time Machine OMG! (I obviously will after this disaster).

Got a new 750gb Blue Scorpion drive from Amazon delivered Thursday. It literally took 15 minutes to fit it. Then over the rest of the day re-installed Snow Leopard then installed Maverick. I then left it overnight to restore the Bootcamp partition as it was gonna take over 2 hours (60gb partition). Friday morning it was finished, so, tried re-booting the Mac and there was no Bootcamp partition visible in the startup procedure, OMG! Tried every trick in the book, found lots of info off the net. Tried from the bootcamp utils in Maverick, message was that the image could not be verified. I then thought I could possibly DJ with the Mac side. Tried setting up the Mac with VDJ and my MC6000 and could not get them to work together. I’ve never used the Mac version before other than messing around at home. I thought I could make a new Bootcamp partition as I have a copy of the Virtual DJ folder up on Dropbox. Unfortunately I lost my genuine original Windows 7 disks on the bus 2 months ago gggggrrrrrrrrrrr. I have a copy of Windows 64bit, but, can’t find a serial number to install it gggggrrrrrr.

Time was ticking on, I had my residency gig at 10pm and I HAD to have a working system. So, aborted the Mac and dragged my old XP Dell Inspiron 6000 out of retirement. It is approximately 2009 when I last used it for DJing, I’ve been using it weekly for my accounts. Stripped some of the garbage off it and got it working with my MC6000. Went to the gig, but, found I had to abort doing video as it was struggling (1.6 processor, 1gb memory, 60gb HD and shared graphics). Managed to get through my gig with sound only but it was struggling with that too. When I tried to type in the search box the music was having a millisecond pause, I noticed it but the public probably didn’t.

I now have just over 4 hours til my next gig. So, gonna have another try at setting up the Mac version. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted Sat 16 Nov 13 @ 7:29 am
After 10 minutes I have now got the Mac version working. :-)

Still got a few tweaks to do, but, I'm up and running with the Mac version. Never used this version for DJing, only messed around at home with it.

***** A little tip *****

Went to get the Paragon software that allows a Mac to read/write to Windows NTFS partitions. Paragon wanted $19.95 which I paid a few years ago when I first started with the Mac.

On the Seagate website it's the same software and it's FREE, lovely. ;-)

Posted Sat 16 Nov 13 @ 8:43 am
Happy to report that everything is working great and actually looking forward to going to work tonight. :-)

Loaded up available visual effects, transitions and sound effects. All working great.

Got my PNG logo's onscreen and scrolling text along the bottom. This was one of the many reasons for using the PC version. Now thanks to Scott (SBDJ) there's enough effects for me to maybe continue to use the Mac version, we'll see, watch this space.....

Posted Sat 16 Nov 13 @ 9:46 am
Had a great gig last night, even continued 1 1/2 hours after I was supposed to finish (and got paid extra for it :-)

I've used my MacBook Pro bootcamped with Windows 7 for the last 3 years. Last night was the first time I've used the Mac version of VDJ because I haven't got my MacBook bootcamped yet.

Everything seamed to be working great until 1 hour into my gig and after a song sounded a bit wobbly it crashed to the desktop. Always have my iPod playing for just such an occasion, just required pushing the fader up. Restarted VDJ and it continued for the next 5 1/2 hours. I wouldn't say flawless as I had to switch off and back on the video in the config a couple of times because the video froze, was a bit annoying.

I'll probably setup bootcamp and install Windows 7 asap as I have managed to extract all the software from the PC partition of the old HD.

Posted Sun 17 Nov 13 @ 9:21 am
I must have the patience of a saint!!!

Spent another few days trying to restore my Bootcamp partition. Actually succeeded last night, BUT, still wouldn't boot. Downloaded all the Windows 64bit ISOs and burned them to DVD. Needed one of them to boot into the utilities to repair the Boot system. Ended up screwing up the boot system of the Mac as well as Windows.

With lots of research on the internet I managed to get back to a working system. Can't Bootcamp yet as there is a boot partition (EFI) in the way. Setup an external Hard Drive as a Time Machine so that I can completely reformat, restore and start again.

With tips from here I have optimised the Mac version of VDJ and we'll see how well it works and maybe stay with it for DJing. Time will tell, right back to the grind.

Posted Thu 21 Nov 13 @ 12:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)