Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Distortion slowly gets worse...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi all:

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

My pc (hp folio 13) has worked with VDJ flawlessy for several gigs now.

However... since I installed the latest asio driver (which fixed some other wonky issues I'd been having with an older driver), here's what happened at a gig the other night:

When the issue started, after maybe 2 hours of flawless operation, it started out with a high-pitched aliasing sorta sound over the song I was playing..(like an 8-bit version of a 32-bit audio file)... and slowly got worse and worse over the course of a minute. I tried to move to another track, but the issue was affecting every song I played on either deck. Eventually, people started looking at me funny and I had to kill the program. Even re-starting the app didn't fix the issue; as if the driver was somehow messed-up with a memory leak or something.

I always bring a spare machine and ran the rest of the night with my Mac.

However.. has anyone else ever have this happen?

Thanks
J

Posted Tue 10 Sep 13 @ 8:00 pm
Have you ruled out the possibility of it being a heat related issue? Heat could cause distortion. Since your describing that it happens after a certain amount of time. Try using a cooling pad.

What hardware are you using?

Posted Tue 10 Sep 13 @ 8:14 pm
Thanks Danielsr.. I am certain that it's not heat-related. My HP laptop sits atop an open-air laptop stand, so it breathes well. If the fans ever get blocked, it gets really loud and I'd hear it (like when I use it on my lap). I'm using a clone of the American Audio Versadeck (Audiophony DjInn) and haven't heard this issue before. I'm a bit of an audio junkie and to me, this sounded like a digital noise from the software itself.. like a buffering issue of some sort. Strange that restarting the app didn't resolve it though.

Posted Tue 10 Sep 13 @ 8:27 pm
If it's a digital 'mosquito' type sound, then it could be the laptop power supply that's causing this issue. This is a very common problem with many laptop power supplies and can be resolved using a ground loop isolator. Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Ground%20Loop.html

You can confirm whether this is the case by temporarily disconnecting the power supply when the problem occurs (So the laptop is running on battery.)

Posted Wed 11 Sep 13 @ 4:15 am
That would most likely be constant though. It wouldn't suddenly come from nowhere then gradually get louder.

Also the issue has only started after the update of the ASIO driver.

Based on the latter I'd suggest increasing the ASIO buffer by one notch.

Posted Wed 11 Sep 13 @ 4:19 am
Thansk Groovin.. I'll fiddle with those settings. Strange that the problem would persist even after re-starting the application... as if the driver itself within _windows_ got hosed.

Support.. it's not related to a power supply... good idea though. It wasn't a consistent noise like a ground loop would cause. It was a digital artifact, getting progressively worse over the course of a minute... imposed over the audio output. Not like a 60 Hz hum or even a harmonic of it.. it was as if something as buffering badly.

Posted Wed 11 Sep 13 @ 4:30 pm
Innnteresting.

I was just snooping around the forums and found a similar complaint, in which the user submitted the following sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q06yt7AkEo

distortion starts around 1:00

This is pretty much what my setup did the other night.. (the same as the first few seconds of the example, but before it got crazy like his did) .. my situation crept up more slowly, starting with an aliasing kinda sound.. then got worse as the song went on. The end result might have gotten to what I heard in this example though; cant' say for sure. I guess I was lucky.

It gets better though.. since I had to reboot, I ran to the back of the bar while this sound was happening, and faded over to the satellite music to tide me over while I rebooted and tested. Get this though... the satellite had issues too for the first time. (unrelated).. as I guess sometimes happens when big storms roll though. I ended up busting out my Macbook pro and finished the gig since my library is on both machines for precisely cases like this. But I'd rather gig with a $500 HP than my $1800 Macbook.

And as for total backup, I've got a copy of my library on an external drive so that I can play direct from it using my Versadeck controller in USB-drive mode. (cool feature to get you out of a pinch, but a pain in the butt to navigate folders)

This goes to show you that indeed, when it rains, it often pours!

Posted Wed 11 Sep 13 @ 4:48 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Its sound card's driver related. If not mistaken, same thing happened to me when i updated the driver of My American Audio DP2. Went back to the old driver (which came with the CD) and the issue was gone.

Posted Wed 11 Sep 13 @ 6:37 pm
Thanks DjDad.

the reason I upgraded my driver in the first place, was that the old driver would blue-screen my windows7 machine on boot-up with the controller connected.

;/

I'll have to experiment I guess!

Thanks again!
J

Posted Thu 12 Sep 13 @ 1:44 pm
The buffer settings might have resolved this issue, and it hasn't recurred thus far!

Thanks all for your help!

Posted Wed 23 Oct 13 @ 11:40 am
betaonemusic wrote :
The buffer settings might have resolved this issue, and it hasn't recurred thus far!

Thanks all for your help!

Is everything still good? How did you resolve the issue? I am experiencing the same thing.

Posted Mon 25 Nov 13 @ 4:33 pm
I have had this problem with using my Numark mixdeck, I spoke to a rep. from Numark and they told me to use a Mac Computer. I was like sure, no problem after I spent a lot of money on my PC. Not very helpful (Numark) My problem only occurs on the one side of VDJ. Player B.
I have to sometimes go into automix for the rest of the night to get through.

I switched to an American Audio 19 MXR, and have had no problems with the sound issue for more than 9 months, But I just started experiencing problems since I updated to 7.4.1 which is unrelated to this issue.

My problem now is my gain and volume keeps dropping on Deck A, and Player B is not giving any sound at all. Trying to figure this on out.

Posted Mon 02 Dec 13 @ 8:27 pm
bad news.. the issue recurred last night at a gig while using my mac, too. NOW I have to wonder if the issue is related to my controller hardware itself. (Audiophony DJInn Pro) clone of AMerican Audio Versadeck

anyone else seen this happen?

Posted Mon 03 Nov 14 @ 11:52 am
How do you plug your controller on the house PA ?
Is there any chance they are using phantom power (+42V) on their main console ?

Posted Tue 04 Nov 14 @ 1:59 am
Nope.. no phantom.. it happened again last week with just my mac, ADJ Versadeck (Clone) controller and powered speakers. Simple setup.. my controller goes xlr directly to the mains. This is why I got the Denon mc2000 in the hopes it was an issue with the controller. I'll let you know after my next big gig this weekend! :) thanks!

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 4:26 pm
Are your usb ports set to turn off to conserve power ? Also, is the usb cord to the controller new, I had an old cord cause me issues

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 8:36 am
I've been playing around with my setup for days now. I'm noodling around with the system now (VDJ7 on an HP Folio 13) and my controller (Audiophony DJinn/American Audio Versadeck) and found that if I do EQ kills on the low and mids, I'm left with the highs exposed, and can thus hear clearly that there is distortion in the highs; almost like a bitcrusher filter is applied. I play the same MP3 on the hardware's own USB media player and the issue doesn't happen; so I know it's -something- to do with the usb audio stream between the laptop and the unit. Id I hadn't killed the mids and lows, I might not have noticed this. However.. having digital distortion like this will very likely mean this setup isn't reliable, since buffer issues only get worse as shows go on... Anyone have any thoughts? I've killed all extra services, wireless, bluetooth, indexing, updates... anyone? (P.S. this is happening at home with no P.A. connected.. just my headphones)

Posted Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 11:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)