Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Graphic glitch and variable problem

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Good afternoon, I'm a first time skinner, I started yesterday, armed with M$Paint I'm making small editions and changes to the default skin

http://tinypic.com/r/nz0ugx/5

The buttons indicate which (of any) of 10 chosen effects are switched on ( the letter being the keystroke used)
As you can see it works a charm on the left deck but on the right deck there's something not right

I figure it's to do with some element of the browser section due to the x & y position, but I can\'t find... well, anything about browser editing.

can anybody help

I also have a variable that I use to get different actions from keystrokes

stuff like

<map value="F6" action="var "$My_varNumlock" ? hot_cue 6 : deck 2 hot_cue 1" />

I use it for when I am listening to new music, so I can break the tune up into sections of 64 beats with hotcues 1 - 10 so I can see how the buildups, breakdowns and (annoying) 4/4 breaking extra beats occur.

At present I use the Numlock key as my laptop gives me its own little green light to say if the button is pressed. (but yes I do have to make sure Numlock is off before starting vdj)

I would like to put a small indicator at the top somewhere, I'm not even sure how to make a button that would effect a variable.

I tried ripping the bit that makes eq_kill light up but the graphic doesn't change when the state of the variable changes

<visual source="quot;$My_varNumlockquot;" type="linear" orientation="horizontal">
<pos x="450" y="10"/>
<size width="14" height="14"/>
<up x="450" y="10"/>
<down x="+880" y="+1068"/>
<selected x="+880" y="+1068"/>
</visual>

As I said I'm a noob so if anyone could help with either problem it would be greatly appreciated

locodog

Posted Tue 20 Aug 13 @ 8:15 am
for the first pic.. it looks like you don't have the "on" graphic lined up properly, use a vector drawing program like inkscape or adobe illustrator/photoshop for better results, you will be able to set grids and have your new buttons snap into place. You will probably only need to spend a couple of hours to learn the basics to do what you want. And these programs will show you the co-ordinates that you will need to fill in the button node with

Then you will need to modify the XML file and add the buttons

<button action="effect 'effectName' active">
<size width="##" height="##"/>
<pos x="##" y="##"/>
<selected x="##" y="##"/>
<down x="##" y="##"/>
<up x="##" y="##"/>
</button>

pos = where the button is drawn on the screen, x is the horizontal axis, y is the vertical axis.
size = the size of the button you wish to add.
selected = the graphic pos for when the button is on and lit up.
down = the graphic pos for when you are pressing the button (not required).
up = the graphic pos for when the button is off (if you draw the button on the skin where it is supposed to be this is not required).
## = fill in the co-ordinates of the graphics, the good thing about the default skin is you can use relative positions from the original graphic eg +880

Moving on the mapping should throw an error as xml can't read (" ' &) they need to be written as (&quot; &apos; &amp;). so you need to write it like this

<map value="F6" action="var &quot;$My_varNumlock&quot; ? deck 2 hot_cue 6 : deck 2 hot_cue 1" />

for the visual there is the same mistake with &quot;, but you can simply use apostrophe in skins as there is no conflict since it isn't true xml format eg.

<visual source="var '$My_varNumlock'" type="linear" orientation="horizontal">

apart from that I have never used visuals for anything other than vu meters so not sure if it is the correct thing to use, you could however use a button to set whether the numlock variable is on, it would also mean that you don't need to make sure you have numlock enabled, as you can change the variable in VDJ separate from the key. To do that use the template above but change the action to

action="toggle '$My_varNumlock'"

If you upgrade to VDJ Pro you can download a demo version of jeremk's skin helper program which can make you life much easier.

Posted Tue 20 Aug 13 @ 11:42 am
<visual type="onoff" source="var_equal '$My_varNumlock' 1 ? on : off">
<size width="10" height="10"/>
<pos x="XXX" y="XXX"/>
<up x="+0" y="+0"/>
<down x="XXX" y="XXX"/>
</visual>

Posted Tue 20 Aug 13 @ 12:03 pm
Thanks very much chaps, yes I agree the on graphic is marginally out on the top pic possibly only 1 or 2 pixels, I can remember the hot cue buttons I ripped as a template had co-ords like x+1 y+1099 for its on state and I just didn't see why so I went for +0 +1100, that I can fix.

What can be done about the right (red) side? To me it looks like the backing of a text box that is causing the conflict (it is very close to the place where vdj displays "no internet connection") Which is a shame because that is the only space I could fit the extra buttons without moving anything else.

At some point I will remove the standard effects section and display the info for 6 sample slots each side, I also want to add loop 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and loop 64 but all this appears straight forward to do, and after I have done this there will be space elsewhere for my effects buttons.

Thanks for the info for visualizing my variable state, that will come in handy.

I will be buying vdj soon enough (about time I've been using vdj since the early 2000s)

Posted Wed 21 Aug 13 @ 9:33 am
if you want to clear off some space to put things you can always make a pannel with a <down> graphic and just make the visible attribute "yes"

<panel id="name" visible="yes">
<size height="" width="" />
<pos x="" y=""/>
<down x="" y=""/>
</panel>

then anything you put on the panel needs to have a panel="" attribute eg.

<button pannel="panelName">
<etc.../>
</button>

Or you can just edit the picture

Posted Wed 21 Aug 13 @ 12:00 pm
@ synthet1c thanks that won't suit my current plan but it will be handy when I make a different type of skin.

Once I'm paid up will I be able to change the browser window, context options and that kind of stuff, there's many little niggles that tweaking like the "move file operation" that should have a "move to parent folder" option (doubled folders irritate me)

Posted Thu 22 Aug 13 @ 6:20 pm
you will also be able to get the skin creator, which makes everything much easier to manage, I remember on my first attempt after I drew all the elements I had a working skin in a day using JeremK's program. It's well worth the $25AUD I paid for it.

Posted Thu 22 Aug 13 @ 6:50 pm
I found the cause of conflict for my effect buttons on the right hand side, for anyone interested it was the "statusbar"

Posted Sat 24 Aug 13 @ 7:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)