Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Anyone modded the jog wheels on their VMS2 or VMS4/VMS4.1?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Has anyone modded/replaced the jog wheels on their American Audio VMS2 or VMS4?

I'd love to replace the wheels with something that doesn't require that crappy rubber sheath around the edge? Their new ELMC1 has much nicer looking jogs which seem to operate on the same electrostatic touch detection basis (which AA seem to brand as "Power Touch"!!!), but it's impossible to tell what size they are or even if the parts have the same fitting.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 7:07 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
you can remove the tranparent rings, mask off the jogs and use liquid rubber instead....looks pretty cool if you choose a neon colour for example...

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 7:17 am
Interesting idea. Is it just an idea, or did you do that? Got a picture to share?

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 7:23 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
sorry ...a friend of mine did so....but it looks pretty cool, if you take care while modify...just saw it ...but havent got a picture..

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 7:25 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I did have to 'mod' one of my jog wheels before it would even work, and that is right out of the box. I contacted customer service and they wanted me to pay to ship it to them so they could take up to 6 weeks to repair this brand-new unit. Another option was to send it back to the retailer.
Instead I broke out the voltmeter, o-scope and soldering iron and found that there was simply a cold-solder join on the optical sensor, preventing the wheel's movement from being detected. Re-flowed the joint and it was as good as (or actually better than) new.
Since that experience a couple years back, I have found that it is extremely rare to find an American Audio or ADJ device that doesn't need at least one solder joint to be re-flowed before it works 100%.
The best mod to my VMS-4 was to upgrade it to a Denon MC-6000 ;)

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 9:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)