Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Cue markers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm using the standard regular 7.4 skin with colored wave forms turned on and wondering something...

1. Is there a way to make the cue markers a little bigger? The thin white line that is a marker can be hard to see sometimes until you are about to hit it. Or maybe a flag marker at the top of the cue?

2. I rename all my markers depending on what I use them for (i.e. hit 8 bar loop, use effect xyz, begin new track here, etc...) The only way to see the name is to hover over the cue marker with your cursor or wait for it the song to play up to it. So my question is, is there a way to make the marker name show on the wave form all the time without placing your cursor over it or waiting for the song to play up to it? Sometimes I have 3 or 4 cue markers on one song so being able to see their names easily and quickly would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Posted Fri 19 Jul 13 @ 9:06 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Both can be done, but not sure if you have the ability and knowledge to edit/add/modify both the xml and the bmp files of the skin.
If you want to go further, let me know to post a few paragraphs of instructions :) And you will need to specify which resolution you are using. It will be easier to guide you.

If you need a quick solution, better search in our Skin Download pages for a skin that offers what you ask. You will find a lot.

Posted Fri 19 Jul 13 @ 10:09 pm
Sure....I'll give it a shot if you want to post detailed instructions. :) I'm using 1366x768 I think or whatever that resolution is...lol

Thanks for the help and glad to hear those 2 things can be done.

Posted Sat 20 Jul 13 @ 1:16 pm
2 or 4 decks

Posted Sat 20 Jul 13 @ 2:45 pm
Hmm I think there is no 1366x768 default skin, but anyways...

1. Some general instructions for cue markers...

a. Case where the cue marker is just a single vertical line....
You can make the line thicker..e.g. from 1 pixel width to 2 pixels or more. You need to edit the xml file (so you unzip the zip file and open the xml file with a Text Editor.. e.g. Notepad.)
You search for .. songpos .. you will find 2 elements (one for each deck) ..that will look like this ..

<songpos deck="1" orientation="horizontal" waveform="yes">
<size width="537" height="24"/>
<pos x="13" y="193"/>
<up x="13" y="+0"/>
<down x="13" y="2308"/>
<volume x="13" y="2334"/>
<selected x="13" y="2234"/>
<volumeselected x="11" y="2260"/>
<upselected x="13" y="+1409"/>
<cues>
<size width="1" height="26"/>
<up x="656\" y="2281"/>
<over x="822\" y="2359"/>
<down x="656" y="2281"/>
</cues>
</songpos>

You need to edit the width if the <cue> .. so from 1 (or whatever number you will find there , you can make it 3 or 4 or even larger (wouldnt recommend more)
Save the file, update the zip.

b. Make the Cue marker like a flag or define the shape you need to give. That requires some simple graphics. All you need to add to the bmp file is the mask
The mask will define the way your cue marker will look. The black is the visible part, the white is ignored (not visible). So if you need to have a cue marker that will look like a triangle at the top and a line below, you need to draw something like this

You need then to add a line for the mask in the <cue> element of the songpos..

<songpos deck="1" orientation="horizontal" waveform="yes">
<size width="537" height="24"/>
<pos x="13" y="193"/>
<up x="13" y="+0"/>
<down x="13" y="2308"/>
<volume x="13" y="2334"/>
<selected x="13" y="2234"/>
<volumeselected x="11" y="2260"/>
<upselected x="13" y="+1409"/>
<cues>
<size width="A" height="26"/>
<up x="656" y="2281"/>
<clipmask x="POSX" y="POSY" width="A" height="B" /> <-------------- You add this line
<over x="822" y="2359"/>
<down x="656" y="2281"/>
</cues>
</songpos>

where POSX, POSY are the coordinates of the top-left pixel of the cue marker shape (red point in the pic above), A is the width in pixels from the red point to the blue point, and B is the height of the marker (most likely it will have the same height as yoru songposition, but can have smaller)

Posted Sat 20 Jul 13 @ 5:32 pm
2. The default skin doesn't give you much space to display the cuenames or cuetimes. Below is the code you need to add to the xml in order those to be displayed, but you need to find a good spot, not sure if those can fit above or below the hotcue points in the skin. You might need to have them somewhere else...so you will need to experiment a little bit and play with the <pos x and y >

This code will provide the Name of the HotCue 1

<textzone deck="1" >
<size width="63" height="13"/>
<pos x="??" y="???"/>
<text font="arial" size="13" color="white" align="right" format="%Pnamecue1" scroll="no"/>
</textzone>

the ?? are the ones that you need to define (find a nice spot in the skin) If you make the font bigger (in the above code its size=13, then you might also need to increase the height and the width in the <size line>

%Pnamecue2 will provide the name of the HotCue 2 etc.

You can also make that work like a button, so that you can click and edit the name...so it will look like..

<button action="deck 1 cue_name 1" >
<size width="63" height="13"/>
<pos x="??" y="???"/>
<text font="arial" size="13" color="white" align="center" format="%Pnamecue1" scroll="no"/>
</button>

Alternatively you can delete the numbers inside the cue buttons (by editing the bmp file), and display the cue names inside the hotcue buttons, but i think the space is not big enough to fit those..most likely you will see 3-4 letters.

Posted Sat 20 Jul 13 @ 5:46 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for the help! I followed your instructions perfectly and it all works and looks exactly how I wanted it to. Much appreciation to you! :)

Posted Tue 23 Jul 13 @ 11:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)