Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: pannels having an issue displaying knobs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I can't seem to figure out how to display the effect knobs for my skin when changing pannels from 4 decks to displaying 2 decks with left/right mapping, the sliders will show if I move them, but it looks bad when they don't show upon loading the pannel, I had the same issue with the last skin I tried to make as well... Any insight would be great as it just doesn't seem to want to redraw.

Posted Tue 16 Jul 13 @ 1:52 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Can you post the code of a slider and the lines of panels decelerations ?

Posted Tue 16 Jul 13 @ 4:41 pm
good thing you made me look again Babis... I hadn't grouped them together.. but there is another issue with pannels, but this time it is for the browser. I have made a pannel where the browser goes with all the variables values using a get command to keep track of them. The issue again is that the browser won't refresh unless you scroll the mouse or change to effects/sampler/record then back again. here is the code

<pannel id="debugOn" group="debug" visible="var '$debug' ? on : off">
<size width="1920" height="302"/>
<pos x="0" y="770"/>
</pannel>

<pannel id="debugOff" group="debug" visible="var '$debug' ? off : on">
<pos x="0" y="770"/>
</pannel>

<browser pannel="debugOff">
<pos x="0" y="770"/>
etc...
</browser>

Posted Tue 16 Jul 13 @ 6:20 pm
I suppose you do have a browser for the other panel, right ? A browser (and only a single one) needs always to be visible, even if it has 1 pixel height.
Do your browsers have <up> ?

Are the panels debugOff/On nested (included) in any other panels ?

Posted Tue 16 Jul 13 @ 8:49 pm
yep I have one pannel with decks 3 and 4 and nested inside is another pannel with small browser and the debug screen, and one with just a large browser.

largeBrowserPanel => large browser

smallBrowserPanel => decks 3 and 4
smallBrowserPanel => debugPanel => small browser
smallBrowserPanel => debugPanel => debug window

The browsers don't have an up... should they?

just, tried making a new browser off screen for the debug pannel and it worked!

Thankyou Sir!

Posted Tue 16 Jul 13 @ 9:09 pm
Just have in mind that nested panels need to have the parent panel declared ..

<pannel panel="parentpanelname" id="debugOn" group="debug" visible="var '$debug' ? on : off">
<pos x="0" y="770"/>
</pannel>

<pannel panel="parentpanelname" id="debugOff" group="debug" visible="var '$debug' ? off : on">
<pos x="0" y="770"/>
</pannel>

also if you come up with any displaying issue when using shortcuts (keyboard or controller) that toggle on/off any panels, you might find useful to add the parent panel in visible.. e.g. visible="skin_panel 'parentpanelname' on ? var '$debug' ? on : off"> even though the prent panel is declared in the same line.

Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 @ 12:51 am
do you know if there could be any performance benefit to declaring all the pannels at the top of the document as it is parsed top down and they seem to be the most cpu intensive tasks? or would it really matter?

Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 @ 8:41 pm
after about 2.5 hours restructuring my skin xml... and getting nowhere I finally figured out why some of my pannels were stuttering...

panels respond to variables faster than referencing if another pannel is visible eg

<pannel id='something' visible="var '$someVar' ? on : off>

is much faster than

<pannel id='something' visible="skin_pannel 'somePannel' ? on : off>

It should probably be added to the skin wiki so no one else goes through it LOL, now to figure out by my browser stutters when scrolling through the songs with mouse and controller!

Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 @ 12:21 am
Hmm, there must be something wrong with your code then or maybe have too many panels there. I have used all kind of coding for visible , but never noticed any issue.
I would suggest to take a look at the declaration of the panels and make sure only one panel is visible each time from the same group. There might be a possibility more than one panel from the same group providing true for the visible.

Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 @ 1:31 am
I definitely have too many panels LOL, the only thing I changed was that it is triggered by variables. I did it with find and replace so I can't have changed anything... and now there is no more stutter in the pannels, accept for a couple of places which might be unavoidable..

I still can't figure out why the browser stutters, can I shoot it to you in an email for you to have a look at?

Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 @ 1:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)