Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Macbook Pro + Video playback + SBDJ Scroll Text plugin = big issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GPSMDPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Hi All

I use a Macbook pro (June 2012 model) specs as follows:

Intel i7 2.6GHz processor

8GB memory

1GB dedicated graphics

OSX 10.8.4

VDJ PRO 7.4

SBDJ Scroll Text 1.0.4 plugin

and use a Denon HC4500 midi controller.

I am experiencing an issue when playing back mp4 files and using the scrolling text plugin together.

The video will lag behind (especially when using HD MP4 files) the music. The video will also continue playing (for a few seconds) after I press the cue button even though the audio stops.

As far as I can tell the issue is being caused with the plugin SBDJ scroll text 1.0.4 mac plugin, As I have VDJ installed on another laptop running windows 7 with scroll text 2.0 and works great.

Anyway, have any of you guys experienced similar issues playing mp4 files on your mac and video lagging?

I look forward to your comments and any suggestions in how to resolve the issue.

Cheers

Matt

Posted Fri 28 Jun 13 @ 2:25 pm
Right ok, I've removed the SBDJ Scroll text plugin and that had helped.

However when playing back HD MP4 files on their own in VDJ there is still a lag.

When playing the same MP4 file back in Quick time on the external monitor it plays very smooth.

Anyone encountered this issue before? Looks like the issue is with VDJ...

Posted Sat 29 Jun 13 @ 4:41 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You would be better posting in the Mac forum.

If you are having underlying video performance issues then using a plugin may well make things worse.

Posted Sat 29 Jun 13 @ 8:50 pm
Thanks Scott, I will post in the Mac support area.

I have also raised a ticket with support, the suggested changing the FPS and Delay on the video settings however this hasn't worked.

I also enabled VideoUseAllMemory in the registry tool however this makes no difference.

I think it maybe due to the mac not supporting hardware acceleration..

It's a real shame as I need to use HD files and scrolling text, that's why i moved over to VDJ from OTSAV and purchased a macbook pro to run it.

Posted Sun 30 Jun 13 @ 4:46 am
The problem is there is no hardware acceleration for mac in 7.4. So all the video processing is done directly on the main processor and not on the graphics card, and VDJ has the audio as the priority, so the video slows down if the processor cant keep up with both. lower your second monitor resolution to 720 instead of 1080, that helped me allot. Also steer clear of the sbdj text plug in for mac. I had UI crashes, video freezes, and all sorts of issues with it. Hopefully VDJ8 will fix all of these mac issues (if its ever released).

DJ X

Posted Sun 30 Jun 13 @ 12:46 pm
Thanks DJ X for your comment.

Damn it, I thought that might be the case.

I really hope VDJ address these issues ASAP as I don't really want to install windows on the mac just to run VDJ.

It's nice to know it's not just me that's been having issues with the Text plugin.

I will try setting the resolution on the second screen to 720p as you suggested.

Matt

Posted Sun 30 Jun 13 @ 1:29 pm
Right OK

I have just installed VDJ on windows 7 under boot camp and can confirm that HD playback works flawlessly with scrolling text :)

VDJ sort it out!

There are many more Mac users out there that have purchased this software to run on OSX, only to find that VJ haven't coded it to support hardware acceleration! (well maybe they couldn't code it but in that case, WHY SELL IT WITH VIDEO SUPPORT knowing that this WILL BE an ISSUE)

I'm still waiting for their useless support to respond to my ticket...

Posted Mon 01 Jul 13 @ 2:59 pm
DjXaviernyc wrote :
TAlso steer clear of the sbdj text plug in for mac. I had UI crashes, video freezes, and all sorts of issues with it.

Alternatively users could report issues to make me aware of them so that I can fix them where applicable. If you don't report problems you'll never get them fixed.

I've had no 'new' issues reported for a year or so and since a friend of mine uses it almost every night of the week on his Mac with no real issues I assumed most problems had been squashed.

Posted Mon 01 Jul 13 @ 4:21 pm
Hi Scott, reading this thread and your comments has prompted me to reply.

I use VDJ on a bootcamped W7 mid 2010 Macbook Pro i7 for gigging every weekend. I also have the Mac version installed that I generally mess about with at home and have never gigged with. The Mac version is a standby backup if it's ever needed. With this in mind I have tried to set the Mac version up the same as I use the PC version. On the PC version I use different PNG files run with the Logo plugin depending on where I'm working or different nights. I also have your SBDJ Scroll text version 1.5.7 running with several lines of text with no problems.

I tried duplicating this on the Mac version, however, the Logo plugin and the Scroll text plugin will not work together. The Scroll text plugin will run by itself but as soon as I enable the Logo plugin the Scroll text disappears. I can't get it back without a restart of the program. If I enable the Logo plugin first the Scroll text plugin just won't start at all. In both cases the Logo plugin will start and stop regardless of what Scroll text is doing. This is no big deal for me as I don't gig with the Mac version.

I have just this weekend took over a friends Saturday residency. He has been using the Mac version entirely. After watching what I have been using over the last few years plus some advice from me, he got himself a Mac and a controller then I advised him on how to get involved with video. Only difference is he has not bootcamped his Mac. He doesn't run any plugins as he said his computer would crash after 25-30 minutes. I don't know any details of his Mac version, etc.

If you need a tester to help you fix these problems let me know as I only DJ for a living i.e. I don't have a 'day job'. ;-)

Cheers
Les

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 1:30 am
Hey Les, hope all is well oop-north.

DJSoulman wrote :
I tried duplicating this on the Mac version, however, the Logo plugin and the Scroll text plugin will not work together. The Scroll text plugin will run by itself but as soon as I enable the Logo plugin the Scroll text disappears. I can't get it back without a restart of the program. If I enable the Logo plugin first the Scroll text plugin just won't start at all. In both cases the Logo plugin will start and stop regardless of what Scroll text is doing. This is no big deal for me as I don't gig with the Mac version.

That is strange; I'm certain I tested that as early beta versions resulted in the logo scrolling too! I will have a look, I'm partway through a rewrite at the moment which I'm juggling with other projects.

DJSoulman wrote :
He doesn't run any plugins as he said his computer would crash after 25-30 minutes. I don't know any details of his Mac version, etc.

Any specific information here would be good :)

Posted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 9:15 am
Hi all :-) I have a Mac and I'm using VDJ Pro Full 7.4. I have downloaded SBDJ Scroll text as advised, but I don't know how to use it. I want to type messages while I'm playing video on the screen. Please can someone help.

Posted Mon 22 Jul 13 @ 2:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)