Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: General ?'s about skinning

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

903djPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I'm in the process of creating a new skin based on the Denon MC3000. I have 2 initial questions about skinning.

My first questions have more to do with courtesy and ethics than anything. I've found a couple of skins that I like that were created by other members and would like to utilize some of the graphics (i.e. buttons, knobs, sliders, etc...) I just want to rearrange them so that they're configured more like my mc3000.

Is it ok to use graphics from other skins?

Do I need to ask for the authors permission?

If so How do I go about contacting them?

Once I get the base bmp file created for my skin should I use the skin creator tool for finding x,y coordiantes or is there a better way to go about creating a skin?

Thanks in advance!

Posted Fri 07 Jun 13 @ 9:52 am
To be able to use graphics from somebody else's skin, you will need to obtain permission from them first. You will also need to give credit to them if you upload the skin.

To contact them, send a private message to them (Find a post from them in the forums, click on their name to view their profile, then click on the pen and paper icon to write a private message.) You can also try going to http://www.virtualdj.com/users/index.html and search for their name.

Posted Fri 07 Jun 13 @ 11:17 am
903djPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Thanks!

In regards to the xml file is the skin creator a good way to start from scratch or would it be easier to start with an existing skin with the basics or better to just start editing by hand?

I found the wiki info on skinning, but didn't find much on best practices or step by step for creating the xml.

Posted Fri 07 Jun 13 @ 11:30 am
Skin creator is the way to go. As a beginner you would find it difficult to position everything and set coordinates without it.

Keith

Posted Fri 07 Jun 13 @ 1:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)