Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Microphone Sound Problems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Guys, I am getting sound problems when I select a Mic as an input of VDJ. I am using an Ergo controller.

Basically, I turn the Ergo on, open VDJ as everything sounds fine, but as soon as I change the sound setup input to a mic the music starts to sound very crackly and distorted even though the actual mic is not turn on.

Anyone got any ideas what this is and how to fix it please?

Many thanks Paul

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 6:12 am
soulboy1970 wrote :
I change the sound setup input to a mic

Where? In VDJ or on the Ergo?

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 6:28 am
Hi thanks for the reply, I'm using my headphones on the Ergo and that is where I here the noise, As soon as I take out the Mic of the input window the "noise" goes

Thanks Paul

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 6:30 am
sorry that reply may not of been clear ! In VDJ, I go to the Config, Soundcard setup, and change the input from None to Microphone and the noise starts, as soon as I change the Soundcard setup back to none the noise stops. The mic is plugged into the Ergo and the volume levels are quite low

Hope that makes sense !

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 6:43 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I dont own an ergo and so can just guess, but have you tried just putting the mic into the ergo and in config do not define any input signal.
Maybe the mic sound is processed directly IN the ergo by hardware and then just mixed up with the master signal.
At least thats how it works with e.g. an RMX or a VMS device.

The low volume of the mic could be caused of a too high (or low) impedance value of the mic.
If possible try another one.

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 6:52 am
thanks for the reply again - I tried it without changing the Input setting on VDJ but the Mic just wouldn't work and following a post on here it did say that you need to change the Input to Mic - I will try another Mic in a moment but to be honest I don't think its that as the mic is not even turned on so it shouldn't really effect the sound although I could wrong !

Thanks Paul

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 7:15 am
I think you're getting a little bit mixed up.

The VDJ software is first in the "chain" so to speak. The output of that goes to the Ergo. The output of the Ergo goes to your speakers.

If you plug the mic into the Ergo, the sound is going to go from the Ergo to the speakers - not back into VDJ.

The only way you'd be able to select mic as an input on VDJ is if the mic was plugged into the computers mic input, because that's "before" the software, not after it.

Posted Fri 24 May 13 @ 8:29 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I had experienced your issue several times myself, but could not find why was that happening to be honest.
I mean one day the MIC works fine and the other is not (distortion).
FYI the Input of the Ergo is not hardwired, meaning that the AUX (MIC/LineIn) can be used as an Input and handled by the software itself. That is actually the reason why the AUX/REC button are present on each deck of the Ergo LE skin.

The only logical explanation i can find is a faulty MIC/LineIn switcher, which still handles the MIC as a LineIn and therefore you get extreme gain in input. This could also be relative to the drivers themselves. Will try another round of tests when possible. I use the Ergo very often, but not the MIc inputs (use a mixer for that), but i ll have a chance to test this weekend and let you know.

Posted Fri 07 Jun 13 @ 7:35 pm
I had a little read of the Ergo manual yesterday...

What's your ASIO buffer setting when this distortion happens, and does it help if you increase it?

Posted Sat 08 Jun 13 @ 5:12 am
djdad wrote :
I had experienced your issue several times myself, but could not find why was that happening to be honest.
I mean one day the MIC works fine and the other is not (distortion).
FYI the Input of the Ergo is not hardwired, meaning that the AUX (MIC/LineIn) can be used as an Input and handled by the software itself. That is actually the reason why the AUX/REC button are present on each deck of the Ergo LE skin.

The only logical explanation i can find is a faulty MIC/LineIn switcher, which still handles the MIC as a LineIn and therefore you get extreme gain in input. This could also be relative to the drivers themselves. Will try another round of tests when possible. I use the Ergo very often, but not the MIc inputs (use a mixer for that), but i ll have a chance to test this weekend and let you know.

Many apologies for the duplicated post I total forgot I had asked this already ! but thank you for reminding me and pointing me to the original thread. Like you one minute it works fine and the next it's complete crap - I wish I knew what it was that was causing it, as it is a real pain in the butt especially as I meant to be doing another radio show tomorrow afternoon and of course now it picks the time to all go wrong ! If you did manage to find anything out or test it I would be very grateful for your thoughts and comments on any possible solutions.

Just for the record I know it is NOT a bad Mic, as I have tested 3 of them now and the chances of all three being faulty are pretty low !!

Do you mind telling me how you have your system set up through a mixer - I know this would be the best option for me in the long run but I am confused with my set up a bit!

What I am doing is streaming through Simplecast so I have my Ergo Master out going into a Line In on my PC souncard, and setting Simplecast to 'record' from that input. Am I right in thinking I would daisy chain the mixer between the Ergo and the PC? I.E.

Ergo Master Out - to - Mixer Input and Mixer Master out to Sound Card

If it is this easy I will just get another mixer as Ironically I just sold my last one a week ago thinking I wouldn't need it anymore !! and ultimately this would solve the Mic issue I believe as it would no longer need to go through VDJ?

Thanks very much for any advice again Paul

Posted Sat 08 Jun 13 @ 6:16 pm
groovindj wrote :
I had a little read of the Ergo manual yesterday...

What's your ASIO buffer setting when this distortion happens, and does it help if you increase it?

Hi The Buffer setting says 256 with Kernal buffers set at 3 - honestly I have no idea what these mean (I will Google them in a moment) But I will try increasing them a little bit at a time to see if this makes any difference and post back.

are there any negatives though in increasing them generally?

Thanks Paul

Posted Sat 08 Jun 13 @ 6:20 pm
The more you increase the buffer, the more latency you'll get - but there's a limit to how low you can go before the sound starts to break up etc. and that depends on how well your system copes. Try nudging it up to the next setting.

There isn't one easy "set it to this" answer. You need to adjust and listen.

Posted Sat 08 Jun 13 @ 8:07 pm
Ok so I increased it notch by notch and played a sample each time. It did seem to reduce the distortion little by little at each point but it never went completely. I then reverted to what I have done before which is keep changing the input from Mic to None and back again a few times and hey presto the distortion has gone again.

I really appreciated your advice on this and REALLY hope its the solution but so far so good !

Many thanks Paul

Posted Sun 09 Jun 13 @ 3:43 am
Hi guys dont realy know how to make a topic kind new to forms and that kind stuff :P

but i have a problem withe my ddj-ergo-v. i new in the DJ stuff so hope you guys can explain it easily xD

i want to get my speakers and my headphone working at same time so i can hear both the songs on my headphone and let the 2 song fit togheter.

my Config on the VIRTUALDJ : Inputs: NONE
Outputs: Headphones
sound card: Asio Driver

but now i can only hear the music in my headphone :S

i hoop some one can help me Thx !

and sorry for the bad English :D hoop you guys understand it :D

Posted Thu 19 Sep 13 @ 8:14 am

Posted Thu 19 Sep 13 @ 8:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)