Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Anyone know of a plug-in that holds a note (orbeat) when activated?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm interested in recreating a sound I've heard in older mixes where a beat or note in a song is held frozen. Not looped but held then the sound is manipulated on that note or beat without the song progressing. Fatboy Slim used to do it a lot back in the late 90s.

Posted Sat 30 Mar 13 @ 2:23 pm
it is done with sampling.looping and shortening the size of the loop until it becomes a single looped wave "spike" (usually like nano second) which then becomes a new wave for by repeating seamlessly and re-synthesizing it with filters and envelope parameters like Attack,decay,sustain and release so it would hold a "note".in the beginning of sampling technology and Synth/samplers we had to learn to manipulate this to make a short sample longer since we had very little ram memory back in da Day and even hardware Synth modules made use of this method for sustainig a sampled sound.anyway..there is many effects here that uses sampling as a basis but dont recall if any have this much control.if not then maybe one of our plugin developers would get on the project and built a digital reproduction of these usually effect boxes (like the pioneer) that are still a much used effect in todays music.

Posted Sat 30 Mar 13 @ 5:45 pm
Tex_zk's granular will do it natively, it's a pretty cool effect, but If you use a PC I prefer the VST dblue stretch made by the guys who made glitch.. unfortunately glitch doesn't work in VDJ as it is VST 3.0 which is not currently supported, hopefully as djdecks has 3.0 support, it may be included in VDJ8. tapestop and the bit crusher are also really good

http://illformed.org/plugins/

Posted Sun 31 Mar 13 @ 6:43 pm
Great info, guys. Peace!

Posted Sun 31 Mar 13 @ 8:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)