Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: where is a good place to start learing C++

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys,

I have a solid foundation in javascript and PHP so understand data types and functions, where are some good resources to learn how to program audio effects? I have been watching theNewBoston on youtube for the last few of hours but it's kind of slow and not what I want. My aim is to make some delay plugins to replace the VST3's I can't use to begin with and see where that takes me.

Also I couldn't find the list of "sendcommands" I think it used to be in the plugin developers section... or is it just

SendComand('vdj_script to perform', deckNo);
GetInfo('vdj_script to perform', deckNo);

Cheers

Posted Fri 29 Mar 13 @ 4:07 am
ChacklPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hello!

SendCommand([anyVDJaction],0) - This is what i use with the actual SDK - The Action could be any VDJ script

GetInfo:
Take a look to my block here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/Chackl/blogs/4821/Usefull_C___Functions_for_VirtualDJ_DSP_Effects.html

You'll find functions like:
get_command_int(VDJ Action) - gets the Integer data of any script ;)
get_command_float(VDJ Action) - gets the Float data of a e.g. slider

Build DSP effects and test them:
I allways use Flowstone before i make a soundeffekt - because flowstone is much better to handle ;)
http://www.dsprobotics.com
After that i write the code from a finished flowstone-shematic and put it into a DSP effect. (Rollit! was made like that)

This is what i use for my effects ;)

If i need spetial operations in c++ i allways use Google to find an example c++ code.

Regards
C.Hackl

Posted Fri 29 Mar 13 @ 7:34 am
that was another question I had.. when you have compiled the .dll do you have to reopen VDJ to test? and can you 'cout <<' results to a debug screen to know the value's of the variables you are dealing with? I'm use to using firebug with anything that I am having difficulties in figuring out.

flowstone looks pretty useful but I can't get it to work with the soundcard output when VDJ is open, it just uses my laptop speakers :| I think I'd rather stick with coding C++ though... I'm about 4 hours into a 7 hour series of tutorials and it seems to be getting more useful progressively

Posted Fri 29 Mar 13 @ 8:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)