Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: maximum size of the bmp file

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hello,

I ask me lots of questions about the file size of my skins.

Can a too large bmp file for a skin slow a computer ?
Is there a maximum size not to exceeded ?

What are the elements that make a skin consumes more or less memory ?

Posted Sat 23 Mar 13 @ 8:12 am

Posted Sat 23 Mar 13 @ 8:58 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
A skin is consisted of 2 parts. The xml and the bmp file. Once the skin is loaded, the bmp file is loaded to memory and will not consume any further memory or cpu.
The xml on the other hand, is the one used all the time and the software keeps scanning the code (x times every sec) to make sure all the elements are correctly displayed. A huge xml may require some additional cpu usage in theory, but i have never noticed any significant cpu usage due to a large skin. The overall consumption is considered very low compared to the other functions (decompressing files, analyzing, sampling, video etc)

Have also in mind that the software itself provides priority to important parts such as sound engine and video engine, meaning that the skin engine is the last thing the software deals with. It dedicates some specific time (x times scanning per sec). YOu probably have noticed a small freeze of the screen (graphics), when you load very large files, but the audio still plays fine. This means that even if the skin is too large to process, you will not have issues other than some temporary freezes of the moving parts of the skin (rhythm, rotation, jogs etc)

I have never seen a skin creating issues to any of my computers, and there will be no such case, if the computers are well optimized and the initial cpu usage is low.

Posted Sat 23 Mar 13 @ 11:04 am
I don't know how much "large" you want go, but one of the largest skins I ever made was CDS4.
I can't see any performance or memory difference over the standard skins despite the fact that it's XML code is HUGE.
Also on several other skins I use large BMP files since I create a lot of custom visuals. Still, no diiference in performance!

Posted Sat 23 Mar 13 @ 2:06 pm
Thank you neighbor, I did not know the method of the switch is very interesting ! And your thérorie of big waves is justified: on my skin "Millenium", often my large waves take more time to display.

@DJDad : Thank you for this explanation, is very clear for me now !

@PhantomDeejay : I download your CDS4 skin and I see that your BPM file is 26 MB while mine was in fact 18 at the moment. Then I compared our two skins, effectively the CPU does not consume more or less.

Another question, I converted my bmp file in jpg and the skin still works. Why we use bmp ?

Posted Sun 24 Mar 13 @ 7:31 am
In theory according to skins SDK you should use BMP or PNG files for the graphics. JPG files support is not mentioned anywhere...
Even if JPG files are supported I would still use BMP or PNG graphics... JPG files can leave compression artifacts on the image, especially aroumd areas with high contraat.

Posted Mon 25 Mar 13 @ 2:16 am
ok, I anderstand. Thank you !

Posted Mon 25 Mar 13 @ 6:35 am
Dodge57 wrote :

@PhantomDeejay : I download your CDS4 skin and I see that your BPM file is 26 MB while mine was in fact 18 at the moment. Then I compared our two skins, effectively the CPU does not consume more or less.

CDS4 is BIG code-wise (XML file), not graphics-wise (BMP file).
I have created other skins with much-much larger BMP files without any issues what-so-ever.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 13 @ 8:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)