Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Action if I scratch

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hello,

I am looking for a way to do an action when we scratch (I want that the jog turn only when I scratch and not always)

I think it is not possible but why not ;)

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 8:11 am
I can't understand what you want to do but however here are a few tips:

1. You CAN'T query if a deck is "scratching". I don't know why, but you just can't
2. You CAN query if touchwheel_touch is active though. Since most modern controllers are working with touch sensitive jogs, 9 times out of 10 when the touch switch is on and the deck is playing the user is scratching.

In other words:

play ? touchwheel_touch ? [action when user is scratching] : [action if user is moving the jogs but not scratching (bending)] : other actions when the deck is cued/paused

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 8:16 am
I'm french and my english is very limited... sorry

here is my actual script :

TURNABLE JOG WHEEL______________________________________________________
<pannel id="SCRATCH1" group="s1" visible="var_equal '$JOGMODE' 1 ? on : off">
<size width="326" height="326"/>
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</pannel>
<visual pannel="SCRATCH1" source="deck 1 get rotation" type="rotation">
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<clipmask x="0" y="1720"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</visual>
ROTATION ON/OFF_________________________________________________________
<button action="var '$JOGMODE' 0 ? set '$JOGMODE' 1 : set '$JOGMODE' 0">
<size width="26" height="21"/>
<pos x="460" y="241"/>
<selected x="461" y="1322"/>
<down x="461" y="1322"/>
<over x="158" y="1082"/>
</button>

If I clic on the button, the jog wheel turn, that's ok.

but what I want is that the jog wheel starts to rotate only when I Scratch (I would like the same reaction as a real jog wheel which is not motorized)

I can do something like this :
<pannel id="SCRATCH1" group="s1" visible="deck 1 play ? touchwheel_touch ? on : off">
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</pannel>

and delete the button ?

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 9:29 am
Yes.
That's exactly what you should do. However keep in mind that you won't be able to see the rotation if you decide to use your mouse to scratch on screen...

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 10:39 am
it don't work : if I scratch, the jog don't moove...

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 11:37 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Normally, it should work if you use a device that has touch sensitive jogwheels. What device/controller do you use ?

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 12:07 pm
Dodge57 wrote :

I can do something like this :
<pannel id="SCRATCH1" group="s1" visible="deck 1 play ? touchwheel_touch ? on : off">
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</pannel>

On skins you must query the deck ALL the times:

<pannel id="SCRATCH1" group="s1" visible="deck 1 play ? deck 1 touchwheel_touch ? on : off">
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</pannel>

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 12:29 pm
ok, I test this :

<pannel id="SCRATCH1" group="s1" visible="deck 1 play ? deck 1 touchwheel_touch ? on : off">
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</pannel>
<visual pannel="SCRATCH1" source="deck 1 get rotation" type="rotation">
<pos x="85" y="241"/>
<clipmask x="0" y="1720"/>
<down x="327" y="1720"/>
</visual>

but it's the same, it don't work : if I scratch or not, the jog don't turn.... :(

djdad wrote :
Normally, it should work if you use a device that has touch sensitive jogwheels. What device/controller do you use ?

I don't use a controler, it's for a skin and I make some test with the mouse.

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 3:43 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Yes.
However keep in mind that you won't be able to see the rotation if you decide to use your mouse to scratch on screen...

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 3:59 pm
ok; that whas the words that I have missed.

It's clear now, thanks !

Posted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 5:57 pm
ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Along the same thread...

I have a Denon 5500,

Is there a way to map or change the XML so that I can scratch without the platter rotating?
I do not use the bend mode.

Basically looking to scratch in the bend mode, or scratch in scratch mode (with a non rotating platter).

Thanks in advance,
Clay

Posted Tue 19 Mar 13 @ 4:17 pm
Yes you can alter your mapper to scratch without the motor of the deck active. However since there's not "touch" command available you won't be able to "hold" the platter still.

I don't know about the Denon 5500 but I have tried it with my S3700.

You should remove the commands from the mapper that handle the motor (denon_platter 'on', denon_platter 'speedup', denon_platter 'speeddown' and denon_platter 2) and change the denon_platter 1 to "jogwheel"

Posted Wed 20 Mar 13 @ 1:10 am
Thanks for your response PhantomDJ!

I tried your recommendations and it did work to some extent.
Yes, I AM able to scratch in platter1 mode BUT, the track will not play.
If I advance or reverse the platter, the track will advance or reverse properly but not play (just scratch)
While in the platter1 mode map, I have also tried changing the command to "play & jogwheel", as well as just using "play" alone, and the track still will not play.

Even though I deleted the "platter2" mode, when I switch to the platter2 mode from the 5500, the platter act as if it is still in the platter2 mode (platter remains stationary and the track still bends).

I don't mind weather the controller is either in the scratch mode or the bend mode, I would just like the platter to remain stationary and be able to scratch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Clay

Posted Wed 20 Mar 13 @ 10:20 am
I will have to take a look on the default mapper and I will come back to you...

Posted Wed 20 Mar 13 @ 6:47 pm
Hi PhantomDJ,

I AM able to scratch one of my 5500 decks, but there is an approximate 500ms delay between when I release the platter from scratching until it actually continues playback (slight pause after scratch end until playback begins). If the platter is in rotating mode, that 500ms delay is not present.
Yes I have changed the latency, scratch and master tempo settings in the 'Performance' tab in VDJ, as well as the 'Jogmode Int' settings in each 5500.
Any ideas on how to get rid of the delay?

It also seems to work only with one controller;
Both 5500 controllers are set up the same including the internal presets.
But, only one controller works properly in this current config:
One controller after scratching will automatically begin playback from the end of scratch (normal, but has the above delay), the other controller will NOT automatically begin playback from end of scratch (it will only scratch then go silent).
Any suggestions on why this config only works with one controller (I'm using VDJ 7.3)?

Thanks again for your help,
ClayDJ

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 10:44 am
The delay after scratching is because the platters are not touch sensitive. In normal active platter mode, it knows when you are holding the record and scratching by its movement in relation to the spinning motorised platter.

However, if you have disabled this and are just using it as a jogwheel, then the only way it knows when you are holding the jogwheel and scratching is when the record is actually moving. So there will be a small delay to enable VirtualDJ to determine that it has stopped moving. Also, in this configuration you won't be able to hold the record still and stop the music (VirtualDJ has no way of knowing you are touching the record when it's not moving.)

Unfortunately there's no way around this. You will either need to use the platter in its normal motorised mode or alternatively, switch to a similar player with non-motorised touch-sensitive platters such as the new Denon SC2900.

The deck that doesn't start up again after scratching is probably due to an error in your mapping.

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 10:57 am
Thanks for the info Teamer, and your help PhantomDJ.

The only reason that I need a stationary platter is because the 7.xx versions currently do not support the Denon 5500's platter (warbling audio). A stationary platter works fine though, thus me wanting to scratch while stationary.

Yes I do have a trouble ticket in, and the Team mentions that they are working on it, but ...tic...toc....tic...toc...

Hopefully the DEV Team will work their magic and fix this issue before long.

Thanks again,
ClayDJ

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 3:21 pm
Support staff wrote :
The delay after scratching is because the platters are not touch sensitive. In normal active platter mode, it knows when you are holding the record and scratching by its movement in relation to the spinning motorised platter.

However, if you have disabled this and are just using it as a jogwheel, then the only way it knows when you are holding the jogwheel and scratching is when the record is actually moving. So there will be a small delay to enable VirtualDJ to determine that it has stopped moving. Also, in this configuration you won't be able to hold the record still and stop the music (VirtualDJ has no way of knowing you are touching the record when it's not moving.)

Unfortunately there's no way around this. You will either need to use the platter in its normal motorised mode or alternatively, switch to a similar player with non-motorised touch-sensitive platters such as the new Denon SC2900.

The deck that doesn't start up again after scratching is probably due to an error in your mapping.

I have VDJ 7.4 pro with Hercules DJ Console Air+ which has touch sensitive jogs and there is still a slight pause when releasing the jog, in fact it its no different to my old original Hercules console which had NO touch sensitivity.

I have all of the latest drivers and mappers and the problem is still present. The console came with software Djuced 40 which seems no where near as functional or featured as VDJ but it does scratch perfectly, no lag, no pauses just beautiful scratching :-)

I am a huge VDJ fan and have been a member for quite a few years but haven't used it since i've had this console due to this issue, would really love to get off Djuced and back onto VDJ as it is my preffered software but unfortunately scratching is a big thing for me and it just can't be done quite right in VDJ yet.

Would love to hear if there is any progress with this issue.

Posted Tue 07 Jan 14 @ 10:24 am
you need to push the jog slightly forwards when you release the jog otherwise VDJ will think you are doing a spinback and will wait until the jog stops moving before recommencing playback, it's a trade off of having it the way it is and allowing spinbacks, or changing it and losing spinbacks. Personally I think they made the right choice.

Posted Tue 07 Jan 14 @ 10:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)