Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: New: Mixed in Key 5.5 Energy Levels now in your VDJ Database with VDJFlacTags 1.4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey Guys,

Some might have read that Mixed in Key 5.5 has an added algorithm for determining the energy level of a track. With one number you can recognize wetter the track is a chill vibe or epic anthem. I've tried it and it works like a charm.

I've updated VDJFlacTags to version 1.4 (http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/13224/VDJFlacTags.html) supporting not only synchronizing the key but also the energy level to your VDJ database. It does this for mp3, mp4 and flac files, wma will follow.

Enjoy!

Posted Thu 27 Dec 12 @ 9:08 pm
Does this work by reading the MIK database and transferring the info over to the VDJ database, or does it require MIK to write the info to the tags of all MP3s first (which takes a very long time and changes the date stamp), then for VDJFlacTags to also scan all the MP3s, extract the info and copy it to the VDJ database?

Posted Fri 28 Dec 12 @ 9:52 am
Topic was moved from General Forums.
User has been notified via pm

Posted Fri 28 Dec 12 @ 10:47 am
@djdad thx for moving it to the smaller audience group, all for the best for sure. Just an enthusiastic user trying to spread the word for a solution he created for some 'practical shortcomings' in VDJ, no need to thank.

@groovindj

It reads the file metadata, not the MIK database, even though that does sound like a nice idea. Just checked it out, its a SQL CE database, so it might be readable.

The idea I personally have with metadata in audio files is that you want them to be as complete as possible, any track or album that goes into my collection is therefor first tag-corrected and saturated with the key by MIK (and now energylevel). This way you are not depending on a single database with the risk of files moving and such. I also use DLNA to share the files to other devices and also than its great when the tags are all the same and complete.

Compared to MIK's scanning process, the writing of the info is peanuts, its actually multi-threading, but of course can't help with the changing of the timestamp

Posted Fri 28 Dec 12 @ 2:07 pm
do you need to have Mixed in Key for this plug-in to work?

Posted Thu 14 Mar 13 @ 4:16 pm
jonpaulevans wrote :
do you need to have Mixed in Key for this plug-in to work?

If you just want to use the program to synchronize tags, no mixed in key needed. If you want energy levels detected in your files and have those values in your database, than you need Mixed in key.

Posted Thu 14 Mar 13 @ 4:18 pm
Thanks. So if VDJ shows me the key and key number (as MIK would) what reason is there to buy MIK? Energy levels? is that really something we can't tell by listening to a track and knowing our music?... I've scanned two folders with this new plug-in but I am not seeing what it does to my collection. I'm not up on all the jargon so if someone could break it down in laymen's for me I'd appreciate it. And I have no issue buying a $60 program (MIK) that will add to my performance, I just don't see why I need it given VDJ's ability. If all it offers is energy level, I'll have to really think about it.

thanks

Posted Fri 15 Mar 13 @ 9:29 am
jonpaulevans wrote :
Thanks. So if VDJ shows me the key and key number (as MIK would) what reason is there to buy MIK? Energy levels? is that really something we can't tell by listening to a track and knowing our music?... I've scanned two folders with this new plug-in but I am not seeing what it does to my collection. I'm not up on all the jargon so if someone could break it down in laymen's for me I'd appreciate it. And I have no issue buying a $60 program (MIK) that will add to my performance, I just don't see why I need it given VDJ's ability. If all it offers is energy level, I'll have to really think about it.

thanks

The 'plugin', VDJFlacTags, is not made specifically for Mixed in Key. What is does it helps updating the virtual DJ database with the tags in your music files. For example, FLAC files will show no tags at all and when you change tags in your files it will not update in your database. So if you just play Mp3's and never change any tag information in you rmusic files, this tool is not for you. If you use different formats like flac and wma or you frequently update your tags in your collection and wish to re-read those in VDJ, than this tool is very handy.

To the subject of Mixed in Key, its basically more accurate than VDJ's detection and supports mayor keys, while VDJ just outputs minor keys. Having said that, VDJs detection is still pretty good and both programs aren't 100% right! The energy level is a nice by product. If you want to get it it all depends how much you value the key detection.

Hope this helps!

Posted Fri 15 Mar 13 @ 10:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)