Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: SKIN IDEA based on CE horizontal scratch waveform lined up with beatgrid

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

whoever made the CE skin i\'m not a skin maker but i modded the skin and i dont know how to code. i just moddified the picture using photoshop and then edited using notepad.. i was wondering if you can help me polish up a version like this? thanks by the way. your skin got me started. this is just a photoshop sample. hope you wont take offence as i've messed around with your skin. :p

Posted Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 7:32 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Your photoshop modifications is maybe a good opportunity to talk about visuals in general (Rhythm, scratchwave, song-position).
Right now, possibly we need all 3 of them to display all the useful info.
A song position with colored frequencies is too small to provide details and kinda useless. A single colored one may give the info we need just fine.
The rhythm view is useful to see the grid, and the scratchwave shows more infos about the actual position of the song (bass, snares, vocals etc).
Currently scratchwave is not supporting cue points and grids, but that would be what i would like to see in next versions.

Imagine having a scratchwave at the top, showing both grid and cue points. How much space we could save.

Thoughts ?

----------------------------------------------------
Apologies for spamming your thread :)

What you need to do is to add
<scratchwave orientation="horizontal" ...>
</scratchwave>
in your skin. You will need some graphics as well.

Posted Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 9:23 pm
yes i have to say you're absolutely right. I guess i got a little too excited with the skin. I usually just find the starting cue (etc verse in, hook in) and then go back 16 or 32 counts (goto -16) with a shortcut this way i can always have a smooth transition without having to count manually. On the other hand I beat peak that shows the beat grid can always be zoomed out i guess.
Thanks for the input . Much appreciated .

Posted Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 11:10 pm
+1...

but as a workaround you can make a rhythm wave that is too small to show the waveform but big enough to show the cbg.. The issue though is having both the rhythm and scratch waves moving in sync with each other "the same size and distance between beats".. It wont show much of the hot cues though, but a little will come out the bottom of the CBG.

Posted Sat 10 Nov 12 @ 12:58 am
So I've decided to donate and get the full version of the skin maker. I've watched the video on youtube but instruction seem outdated as the new version have a different interface. I am starting to get the basics so that's the good news. I'm totally new to the skin making scene and I have never programmed. Is there a guide somewhere that i can read? a walk thru perhaps? "for dummies" . I have also read half of the wiki but I still dont quite get how to get the browsers , tempo's , bpms , keys, to map on a bmp. I know with more reading and practice I'll be up and running soon. there are a lot of skins out there that are great. I'm hoping to contribute in the future hopefully i can come up with new skins. thanks guys

Posted Sat 10 Nov 12 @ 2:12 pm
The best way to learn (in my opinion) is to pull apart an existing skin and see how it's put together and how it works.

This is how I learnt and I know how other skinners learnt too.

Posted Sat 10 Nov 12 @ 3:15 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
interesting mod

I already have one similar in design to what your asking but the waves etc. are at the bottom of the screen \. The scratch waves were never flexible for beatgrid or cue points. i can take a screen shot and maybe upload my other skin soon.

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 7:47 am
fantastic ! looking forward to it !

I've created two skins but i keep getting error on line one. why is that? am i missing something? do i have to have certain elements to make the skin work? For intance i did not put the video. does that affect the functionality?

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 3:59 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The only element required is the <logo>.
Check your syntax. You might have missed a " or something. Use Notepad ++ (google it), it helps a lot ;)

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 4:46 pm
Yes, but usually a missing " will give you an error in line 0 (as well as a myriad of other omitted bits) opening the file with windows explorer will also tell you more specifically where the error lies.

-Chuck

Posted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 9:18 pm
listen2 wrote :
interesting mod

I already have one similar in design to what your asking but the waves etc. are at the bottom of the screen \. The scratch waves were never flexible for beatgrid or cue points. i can take a screen shot and maybe upload my other skin soon.

i'd love to see the skin please whenever you have time.

Posted Sun 02 Dec 12 @ 9:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)