Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Help for VDJ 7 + Nicecast (song titles)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've recently switched over to a Mac running VirtualDJ Pro 7.1 from Windows and have had to use Nicecast as a workaround to allow for voice over the stream using my Logitech G930 wireless headset/mic combo when broadcasting. Nicecast is simply hijacking the audio from the VDJ 7 application and sending out the stream. I'd love it if I could use VDJ to broadcast and allow for the USB mic, but no matter what sound setup configuration I use, I'm not able to use the headset's mic to voice over the music.

I've read through the forums here on the site and have looked around for any other possible solutions, but have found none. If anyone has any tips or something I might be able to try, I'd certainly appreciate any help. I'm running OS X 10.7.5 on a Mac Pro using the built-in audio with no external sound card and the aforementioned Logitech G930 headset/mic. It's a very simple setup. I do remember having to use the Master + Mic setting in the sound setup on VDJ 6, but apparently that option has gone away.

However, that's not my main question at this point. I've seen a couple of posts on this subject, but was just wondering if there was any updated information. Nicecast will pull the song title/artist information from certain applications (iTunes, MegaSeg, etc.) but not Virtual DJ. In the help menu of Nicecast, it specifies a text file must exist in ~/Library/Application Data/Nicecast with the info for each song contained on a text file in order to be able to stream this data (song title, etc.)

Have there been any plugins created for Virtual DJ Pro 7 to allow for the song titles to be sent to Nicecast when it is streaming? I'd hate to have to create a text file for thousands of songs.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Posted Sun 07 Oct 12 @ 7:23 pm
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008

Posted Mon 08 Oct 12 @ 9:23 am
Thanks so much for the response and the info about Nicecast and the suggestion re: the mic issue!

I do not use an external mixer at the moment. I do have a NuMark Total Control USB MIDI controller, but since I made the switch to Mac, I haven't even plugged that in to use it.

So, my setup at the moment is extremely basic. VJD Pro 7.1 running on Mac OS 10.7.5 with a Logitech G930 USB headset/mic combo. That's it. Nothing else. The soundcard is the Mac's built-in audio soundcard.

I'll play around with the Record Loopback sound setup, but there is no external mixer involved.

Posted Mon 08 Oct 12 @ 9:55 am
Update: I was able to get the mic to work using a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 headset/mic USB combo. Apparently, the Logitech GX930 headset/mic only uses split channels whereas the LX-3000 has multichannel rolled into one device. I configured the LX-3000 to be the default in/default out in the Audio Midi Setup, changed Advanced Config in VDJ to:

Input: Microphone
Output: Single Output
Sound Card: 4-out Card (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000)

I'm still looking for a fix for the Logitech headset (the sound quality is much better than the Lifechat), but this will work for now. It's probably got more to do with the GX930 not being fully compatible with Mac than anything else.

Posted Mon 08 Oct 12 @ 7:42 pm
The best advice would be to use a better soundcard with a headphone and a Mic input or a soundcard (Hercules Trim) like the DJ IO and a cheap external mixer with a Mic input.

Keep ion mind the soundcards you are talking about, are made for games, iTunes or simular products to play simple music.
Not more. So in most cases you will fall in problems while DJING.

BUT it if you would like to use the headset combo and the buildin Mac soundcard and VDJ to bbroadcast, you only can do the following:
Weird, but it will work :-P

1) Connect your Mac soundcard output via cable with your Mac Mic input stack!
>Change inside Mac soundoptions the Mic input to LineIn!

If you would to listen to that mix also via speakers, you have to find a cable who split the Mac soundcard output into the RCA (red&white to connect to your speakers) and the connection to the Mac Mic input!

2) Connect the Logitech GX930 or the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 with your Mac.

3) Open VDJ and open VDJ Config - Soundcard
4) Select the Advanced Config
5) Select
Master - Mac buildin soundcard - Output 1&2
Headphone - Logitech GX930 or the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 - Output 3&4
Microphone - Logitech GX930 or the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 - Input 1&2
Record Loopback - Mac buildin soundcard - Input 1&2

Ready!

That way VDJ will send the track infos and your mix incl. your voice to the station!

Posted Tue 09 Oct 12 @ 10:05 am
A better soundcard would be nice (internal or external), but those cost $$$ which I don't have to spend at the moment. Maybe in the future, but for now, I think I'll stick with the setup I have using the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 using the mic input option on VDJ. It seems to work just fine. Of course, I'd rather use the Logitech headset, but this is an acceptable workaround.

I'll give this a shot later this evening just to see if it will work on my system:

1) Connect your Mac soundcard output via cable with your Mac Mic input stack!
>Change inside Mac soundoptions the Mic input to LineIn!

If not, that's OK.

Thanks for your help and your replies! They are very appreciated!

Posted Tue 09 Oct 12 @ 10:33 am
You're welcome :-)

Posted Tue 09 Oct 12 @ 12:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)