Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: [POLL] To Swap or not to Swap ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Here is the question,

What do you think it should be the best behavior for a 4 deck skin ?

1. To have the decks in specific position and change color of the background or frame to indicate if a deck is leftdeck or rightdeck (not SWAP)
or
2. To change deck's position according to which one is left or right (SWAP) ?

I rarely use 4 decks, so i need your inputs on this. It all has to do with what a user should expect naturally. To see the controlled deck always on top or know that deck 1 will always be on top ?

Posted Thu 09 Aug 12 @ 2:23 am
confused little bit
1. is this about the allocating left/right deck in 4 deck skin like left/right cross

or

2. placing 2 main deck's with all feature's & other 2 deck's with minimal basic info's
when swaping change to respective coordination's right

according to me i'd go for 1st

waiting for review

Posted Thu 09 Aug 12 @ 2:31 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes, to give you an example, look at the Default VirtualDJ 4 decks skin and the Swap 4 decks skin ( http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/155399/VirtualDJ_Skins/_NEW__Default_4_Deck_SWAP.html?page=1 )
On the Default 4 decks skin, the decks retain their position and there is only a LEFT / RIGHT indicator that shows the status.
On the Swap 4 deck skin the decks swap/change position, depending on which deck is leftdeck or rightdeck.

Further on that. Apparently we are talking about controllers that handle 4 decks. Its obvious that if you use 4 single deck units (CD MIDI players) you will need to have them in specific position, as the leftdeck-rightdeck actions are quite useless.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 12 @ 2:36 am
I think that swapping is only good when using a two deck controller to control four decks. If you have 4 mixer channels it is better to leave the decks in the same position to avoid confusion, It is a good idea to make it clearer what decks are currently in left and right, This could be achieved by making the deck brighter if in focus or duller if not, it would enable you to use multiple colors and still easily recognise the left and right decks so you can focus your eyes quickly.

Posted Thu 09 Aug 12 @ 7:35 am
I like seeing all 4 decks at once, soooo for me its NO SWAP........

Posted Thu 09 Aug 12 @ 10:04 am
aubs123PRO InfinityMember since 2006
its got to be swap for me

reasons why, hardly use 4 decks so don't want be looking at faders and decks ect !!! im not going to be using,
that's why i like the layout rusty 4 deck multi, and the default 4 deck swap

but i still want to use a skin capable of 4 decks just in case,and also the fact that i only use a controller with a 2 deck layout

Posted Thu 09 Aug 12 @ 2:28 pm
No swap for me

Posted Tue 14 Aug 12 @ 1:59 am
and no swap foe me ..if thats not obvious by now...

Posted Tue 21 Aug 12 @ 3:30 am
I never ever use 4 decks. I hope 2 deck skins will not stop being made going forward.

Mind you that might change with the additional features in VDJ8

Keith

Posted Tue 21 Aug 12 @ 3:41 am
If I am using a dedicated 4 deck controller (4 volume faders) then it is a no swap for me. However, if I am using a 2 + 2 then the swap is a must. Hope that helps.

Posted Tue 21 Aug 12 @ 8:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)