Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Vestax VCI-380 Anyone?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anyone done any mapping work with the new Vestax VCI-380?

Can we duplicate or surpass ITCH functionality?

Please share.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 12 @ 10:45 pm
Im getting one today...Ill try...but i doubt until VDJ 8 comes out it'll be anything even compared to serato intro let alone itch

Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 @ 10:54 am
I may be wrong, but on the surface it seems there are maybe only very few things ITCH 2.2.1 can do that vDJ can't . One is the resume playback in time after exiting one of the performance effects.

Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 @ 1:02 pm
you could make an impressive mapping in VDJ using the controls of the 380 but it wouldn't be exactly the same as the beatslicer with other effects is not possible at the moment, similar functionality would need to be included in VDJ8, but I'm not sure Steph wants to take VDJ in that direction... time will tell I guess.

Posted Wed 04 Jul 12 @ 2:19 am
synthet1c wrote :
similar functionality would need to be included in VDJ8, but I'm not sure Steph wants to take VDJ in that direction... time will tell I guess.

It may be a smarter direction than timeline mixing which was already offered years ago by Mixxmeister. "Controller Performance" is the new DJ interest and seems to lend itself to a lot more possibilities.

Posted Wed 04 Jul 12 @ 2:04 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Sat 08 Mar 14 @ 2:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Please forgive my ignorance, what is a beat slicer and how would it work?

I'm guessing it would be akin to having vdj paused on the first down beat, recording a 1/2 beat sample on sampler 1 moving forward 1/2 a beat and recording the next 1/2 beat on sampler 2 etc, then you would use the sampler as a one shot keyboard style device,

but I'm only guessing.

or is it more like the beatgrid effect but someow different?

Posted Sun 09 Mar 14 @ 5:40 pm
that's how it works. it allows a loop to move along a 8 beat section of a track, in serato you have two settings one to lock an 8 beat section and one that moves with the track.. It's good in theory but hard to use and make it sound good.

The slicer I made in coice's mapping isn't great as VDJ Script isn't advanced enough to go back to the slipped track position when you release the final pad. From memory I think you need to hold the first pad that you press and release it last to have any chance of getting back the the correct position.

Posted Sun 09 Mar 14 @ 5:58 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You're a 3rd dann VDJ script ninja, couldn't you have....

a button on first press, sets up a variable "slicer", pauses the track, sets up a 1 beat loop, records beat 1, shift the loop 1 beat forward and goto +1, record beat 2, etc, then turn the loop off and goto -8, then restart the track muted in a loop roll,

the variable "slicer" lets keys/buttons play samples as a 1 shot or while pressed,

and then a second press of the first mapped key drops the variable, restores the volume and drops the loop roll,

In theory (in my head) that could work, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Posted Sun 09 Mar 14 @ 7:56 pm
how I did it was make a cycle that was about 19 increments so I would have 8 + 1 either side of the middle. The cycle is to tell VDJ how far to jump to get back into the track when you release the last pad. The next step I took was to figure out where in the track I was when I pressed the first button using "get beat_num 1 8" and the number of the pad I pressed. Then with a tonne of if statements set the cycle variable to where the loop slice should start and jumped to that position. then pressing any following buttons changes the cycle variable number.

When you release the last pad it checks the cycle variable number and jumps the track the amount of beats the variable indicates with 9 being the center. for example if the track was on beat 1 and the first pad you pressed was 4 then the track would jump 3 beats so you would set the cycle to 12, if you then pressed pad 6 you would jump 2 beats and set the cycle to 14. then if you released you would jump back 8 beats because that's how far you moved.

It sort of worked but as I said you couldn't guarantee you would jump back the the original position. It wouldn't be hard to do with a real plugin in c++ if you know how to use it "I don't" but VDJ Script is just not made for that type of coding.

...maybe if you cloned the deck you were slicing the cloned it back when you finish it would be better, I tried using "slip" but moving the loop reset's the slip, but I don't have the time at the moment to look into it again.

Posted Sun 09 Mar 14 @ 9:49 pm
jkassoLE userMember since 2014
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a VCI380, and in the past week Vestax has taken down their website. I am tyring to find a download for the VCI380 Audio driver, but all of the websites i have searched on google redirect to the Vestax support website (which no longer is active). --Does anybody have a copy/file/zip of the audio driver file for the VCI380? I am using Windows 7 64 bit. I would be extremely grateful if someone could find this file for me! Thanks for your help. I am really happy to using be my Vestax unit.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 12:25 am
Was there no disc with the purchase? If you bought it new, that should have been supplied.

Even if you bought it used, the previous owner should have given you everything required to use it.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 4:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)