Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Are there no iPad skins with a full browser? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

SintarPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I've looked around and get the impression that there is no full browser implementation on any iPad skin, or just a limitation of the iRemote in general perhaps.

If this is correct, is this going to addressed at some time as it is truly painfully limiting. I used the DJ program DJay for a bit because of their remote app and while it and the program itself is terribly limited even that had a full bowser for ones playlists.

I can't imagine that it is not doable for the iRemote App. Please tell me this is something that is being worked on, otherwise it's usefulness is tragically limited.

Posted Sun 17 Jun 12 @ 12:08 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
iRemote application is not supporting full browser or search functions. That is why you will not find any iremote skin with those features. Limited browser features are only offered (display infos of focused song/folder/playlist)

Even though full browser feature would be indeed handy, and probably be added in next update, have in mind that the application was designed to offer remote access of the software and not as a standalone one.
Its a tool that allows you to step out of your booth for a while and have basic control of the software from a small distance. Comparing the iRemote application with other standalone iPad/iPhone applications is pointless.

If you seek full control of the software from your ipad instead of using your laptop, Splashtop is a workaround. Do o search in our website forums. You will find a few tips on how to achieve that.

Posted Sun 17 Jun 12 @ 7:35 pm
Cheers mate. Btw, I wasn't comparing it to a standalone program, I was comparing it to the exact same thing, the DJay Remote App for their Mac version of the software, not their standalone iPad App. Tht would be pointless, but it's not what I did.

Well I will hope for the next update to include it then. There are times when it's good to be away fom the decks for a bit AND we need to choose a track, like if you have to step away before you choose the next track.

Posted Sun 17 Jun 12 @ 7:52 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have to comment on this. The VirtualDJ Remote app is a great idea, but in practice it's pretty useless.

In my opinion, the primary use context for an application like this would to search and find songs, and manage a playlist for automatic mixing. An app like this will always have too much latency to seriously scratch and mix in realtime. It's too slow to use like a MIDI controller replacement or some such thing for all but the most basic of functions, like pausing or playing or making tweaks to volume.

This app would be a hundred times more useful to me (and probably most other people) if it actually provided an interface to your library and your playlist so that you could use the entire display on your phone/iPad to browse and search music, to manage your playlist and change track orders, and to automatically crossfade to another song in your playlist.

Also, I think that it was a mistake to try to use the horribly limited VirtualDJ skinning method on the iOS app - it would work much better (and LOOK much better) by using Apple's standard APIs for displaying everything, even if we lose some degree of customizability in the process.

I'm very experienced with skinning VirtualDJ, and I have some experience with MacOS/iOS application development, so I know that it takes about 5% of the effort to implement a control or something with Cocoa Touch compared to making something that looks and works equivalently in a VirtualDJ skin.

What I really want isn't a fake, laggy, and badly laid out DJ controller on my iPhone -- I want a file and playlist browser that also offers *basic* playback and volume controls. Give me that, Atomix, and I'll be glad to give you $10 for this app. As is, it's kind of a waste of potential, unfortunately.

Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 @ 6:02 pm
While I'm contemplating the subject, an idea I had for this app that would make it super powerful would be to actually dynamically import and sync the VirtualDJ database(s) in use on the host PC to the iPad. That way you could search your music library on the iPad very quickly, perhaps much like you would search for music in the native Pad/iPhone "Music" app, and the speed of this wouldn't be contingent on the speed or limitations of your network connection to the host PC.

You could then select one (or several) songs and then hit a button or drag them to put them into your VDJ playlist (or sidelist, maybe).

Another view of the application could also let you browse your playlist and drag songs around to change the order of the playlist as well as offer controls for toggling automatic mixing and also instantly mixing into a given song on the playlist.

Seriously, if this app could ONLY do these things, then it would be an awesome tool for using VDJ. I'd love to be able to walk around the bar or hall with an iPad or iPhone and let people have a look through my music library and then be able to add songs to the playlist for them without having to bring them back to my PC. Also, if I'm away from the PC, I'm not manually mixing anyways, so being able to manage my playlist order and add songs to the list is the main activity that I need to perform with VDJ when DJing in this way. (I'm certainly not scratching, triggering effects, and doing fancy things with loops... let alone even doing basic beatmatching. I'd be working on the actual PC, ideally with a controller, to do this stuff.)

I hope that the next major revision of a VirtualDJ Remote Control offers this sort of functionality.

Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 @ 6:17 pm
Have you guys thought about using a VNC client like RealVNC to emulate the screen of the computer running Virtual DJ? I've found that VNC software actually works must faster over a WiFi connection than the iRemote app, AND gives you COMPLETE access to ALL the features/functions/skins of the real VirtualDJ program, as you are just remotely controlling to full application.

Check out the RealVNC app for iPad and lemme know if you dig.

Posted Wed 27 Jun 12 @ 10:44 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Supacon wrote :
The VirtualDJ Remote app is a great idea, but in practice it's pretty useless.

In my opinion, the primary use context for an application like this would to search and find songs, and manage a playlist for automatic mixing. An app like this will always have too much latency to seriously scratch and mix in realtime. It's too slow to use like a MIDI controller replacement or some such thing for all but the most basic of functions, like pausing or playing or making tweaks to volume.

This app would be a hundred times more useful to me (and probably most other people) if it actually provided an interface to your library and your playlist so that you could use the entire display on your phone/iPad to browse and search music, to manage your playlist and change track orders, and to automatically crossfade to another song in your playlist.

What I really want isn't a fake, laggy, and badly laid out DJ controller on my iPhone -- I want a file and playlist browser that also offers *basic* playback and volume controls.

I TOTALLY AGREE with every thing quoted above, I have posted often on this subject and got no backing. 0 So I hope sombody sees your post now..

I did give my $10 on day 1 or 2 that iRemote was out and would gladly do more to contribte to the development of this great idea. But I too think this app has really taken a back seat, with only 1 update in 2 years and the last release was Dec 2010!

I like your idea about syncing the VDJ database. I too have thought about that. Not sure how long it would take some DJs to connect with 200,000 songs, but My modest 16,000 should do ok. Maybe a manual option to sync or bypass sync at start could be the way to go... Where does the database reside and how responsive will it be, remotley or local when connecting and searching? I in my opinion, I think that is the hold up with search.

On Atomix side and for those that don't remember the EXTREEMLY long delay in iRemote's initial release. I do remember someone saying that at first version iRemote was hung up because Apple forced Automix to use thier Bonjour service. So communications had to be re-written. Which could easitly be why features were left out (my opinion)... If you think about it, when they were writting VDJ 6, they had to change VDJ too, to use the Bonjour service instead as well. So that is why you needed VDJ 6.02 (or something) and iTunes/Bonjour to connect to the actual Apple approved iRemote.

Either way, it would be nice to have search and playlist management. But there is no need to be bitter towards it and not contribute. I have tried Remote desktop apps and they don't have the same resolution or response (no where near as good as iRemote). That is not the kind of stability a professional wants to rely on when doing big $$$$ shows.

Posted Sun 01 Jul 12 @ 3:05 pm
Splashtop remote works absolutely perfect for me on both iOS and Android.

Keith

Posted Sun 01 Jul 12 @ 4:09 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Splashtop remote works absolutely perfect for me on both iOS and Android.

Keith

Only if your doing audio........every time I've tried to use it with video an error message pops up with something about DirectX. I'm fully up to date on my laptop so I believe it's something to do with the splashtop app. It could be my setup as Well. Anybody else tried it with videos??

Posted Sun 01 Jul 12 @ 4:51 pm
Remote screen sharing services like VNC/Splashtop are a pretty crude workaround for doing something relatively simple like managing your playlist. First of all, you need to have a very good wireless network which I'm not sure every DJ facility would have... 802.11n and such.

Second, even with a fast wireless network, the lag and delay on something like this can be pretty unbearable... especially if you're using a PC with a very high resolution, and especially if you're running videos.

Posted Sun 01 Jul 12 @ 5:01 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
VNC requires a program open on your gig machine too. Really uptight about anything other than VDJ running during a show.

Also most remote desktop type apps have subtle variences (1 finger, 2 finger, swipe, tap, etc) to do basic drag functions to rearrange a playlist. If any one of them go wrong you could kill a deck. Or double tap a song and now it is loaded to a deck, try fixing that remotely. They are just not worth it.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 12 @ 8:56 pm
Exactly. With VNC for iPad, it can be a little disorienting until you get into the flow of using it. If you tap in the wrong place, you could easily do something you didn't intend. Plus, it's a little awkward working on such a large desktop with such a small screen.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 12 @ 9:00 pm
bblankPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I really do hope they add this feature soon. It would be great for karaoke users. Big, big, big advantage when interacting with your guests or with a karaoke lounge type event.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 12:28 am
Stupacon is absolutely correct. Did a team of developers really sit down a few years ago and say, "lets make an ipad app so guys can scratch and beat mix while walking around? NO ONE IS GOING TO DO THAT!!! There's too much lag.

Guys WILL use an ipad app that behaves exactly how Stupacon describes. Dj's need to choose songs, and make playlists from their ipad and do basic mixing. Not scratching. WHO THE HECK SCRATCHES ANYMORE? It's not 1985! Run DMC retired. geez.

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 7:25 pm
Maybe not scratching the audio, but playing with video effects is cool.
I use Vjay and AirPlay. Adequate for playing around, but the lack of customization and small number of effects is a drawback.
I would like to move the sound crossfader right out the way, so I don't hit it by accident.
Also the video playback gets slower over time.

I would really like to run video effect on the desktop with VDJ and do the effects switching from the iPad. I am working on an iPad skin for that right now.

Posted Tue 27 Nov 12 @ 2:45 am
CyborgXHome userMember since 2012
Agree with almost all comments above. The application is a waste of $10 at the moment. Come on developers, surely you must have thought about what DJ's ACTUALLY want from an iPad app. It's easy manipulation of the playlist, and browser.

Can the developer please make a comment here.

Posted Sun 17 Feb 13 @ 8:38 pm
I think that Atomix's developers are good about listening to users in their forums, but have a feeling that this particular feature is pretty low priority. But who knows... maybe we'll get a surprise in VDJ 8. Here's to hoping, anyways!

Posted Mon 18 Feb 13 @ 12:57 am
I really hope they finally do something about this soon, it been left untouched for well over two years now.

I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting a browser at least, hopefully after they are done with version 8 this will get some traction.

Admittedly I'm not a programmer, but I just can't imagine adding a browser option would that hard, and as I and others have stated, its the main thing we need from the app ironically. A browser and basic play and fader setup I'd take any day over the arguably useless state it's in now. I actually go back to Algoriddim DJay when we have a party so we can all use their Remote App, and I do this one reason only, it has a browser.

Posted Sun 24 Mar 13 @ 5:41 am
is there a way to search songs on the iPad easily instead of taping the scroll buttons a million times?

Posted Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 12:15 am
sorry guys i am new to all this?

Posted Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 12:16 am
95%