Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Recording an automix (and splitting into mp3s)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

snowlepHome userMember since 2012
Hi all,

Beginner here! I've only played around with Virtual DJ for a few days now, and love it so far.

After having a lot of trouble with something - and doing lots of googling and reading on these forums - I thought I'd ask the experts.

I've created a playlist of songs, automixed, and would like to record the songs to mp3. There are about 50 songs so I don't want them all in one huge mp3 file - I'd like to split them up. Under 'Config' in the Record tab, I've seen the option to split into mp3s automatically when the tracks crossfade.

So far, this hasn't worked. (I set Config options to split in multiple files and auto-split on crossfade, specified a file etc). Instead, it doesn't seem to automatically split it into mp3s.. I still end up with one mp3. Two questions:

1. Why is this so? How can I get Virtual DJ to automatically split into mp3s, roughly around the end-ish of each song? (I'm not keen on manually 'cutting' them where they should split, as it sounds like a long process with 50+ files!)

2. It seems the only way I can record the automix so far is by actually playing it all (~2hrs). Is there a way to just record it to multiple mp3s without me having to sit through each and every song? Can it just export it all in some way? I won't be doing any "live" mixing, I just want the automixed playlist in many mp3s to be played at an event.

Thanks in advance - I'd love some help asap, and happy to give more details or clarify.

Posted Sun 03 Jun 12 @ 9:27 am
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
split on crossfade as far as i aware wont work at all with automix, the reasont behind this is the software is built to automix on one deck only.... therefore there is no crossfade action to allow splitting.

split on crossfade, means that when you move the crossfader on your software, mixer, or midi device, then it will chop the track and start recording the next part seperatley.

if you use automix, then you do not need a crossfader, so therefore there isno signal to cut the track.

you canhowever use audacity, which is free software and cut the tracks yourself.

OR! you can mix the tracks yourself and learn to dj in the correct manor insted of using automix ;)

then you can tell all your friends that "you" mixed the set instead of saying "hey listen to this set i made! cough cough... with automix "

Posted Mon 04 Jun 12 @ 4:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)