Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Need help mapping my filter knob to activate the high low effect instead of default

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a denon mc3000 which has two filter knobs on it. By default they activate the software's built in filter but I don't really like the sound of it. Instead I would like to map my filter knob to activate this effect: http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12075/Filters_High_Low.html

It has two separate sliders for the high pass and the low pass filter so what I would is for the low pass slider to engage when I turn the knob left and the high pass filter slider to engage when I turn the knob right. Can somebody help me accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted Fri 01 Jun 12 @ 1:21 pm
if you have a pc you are better off downlading the free vst "quadbyte filter" it sounds absolutely pristine, just google it.. for mapping

param_equal 50% ? effect 'qb_filter' active off : effect 'qb_filter' active on & effect 'qb_filter' slider 2 75% & effect 'qb_filter' slider 3

slider 1 is drive, slider 2 is filter type, slider 3 is cutoff, slider 4 is resonance, slider 5 is lfo, the other sliders from 6 to 12 change the lfo parameters. but sliders 2 - 4 is all you need for a basic notch filter.

Posted Fri 01 Jun 12 @ 1:48 pm
QB Filter is a VST effect which ALSO comes on a MAC flavor (AU).
It's my personal favorite and highly recommended.
Just visit http://studio-qb.com/qb-filter

PS: All you need is to set slider 2 once per session (to set the filter type to dual low-pass/hi-pass), and then use slider 3 to control the cut-off frequency. You can leave the rest sliders to their default values.

PS2: You can edit your controllers mapper to "initialize" the effect, so that you don't have to do it manually.
Here's my <ONINIT> element from my MC6000:

<map value="ONINIT" action="deck 1 effect 5 select 'QB_Filter1' & deck 2 effect 5 select 'QB_Filter2' & deck 3 effect 5 select 'QB_Filter3' & deck 4 effect 5 select 'QB_Filter4' & effect 'QB_Filter1' slider 2 100% & effect 'QB_Filter2' slider 2 100% & effect 'QB_Filter3' slider 2 100% & effect 'QB_Filter4' slider 2 100%"/>

and here's my "PARAM" knobs and buttons mapping:

<map value="PARAM1" action="deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 1 effect &quot;QB_Filter1&quot; slider 3 : deck 3 leftdeck ? deck 3 effect &quot;QB_Filter3&quot; slider 3" />
<map value="PARAM1_BTN" action="deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 1 effect &quot;QB_Filter1&quot; active : deck 3 leftdeck ? deck 3 effect &quot;QB_Filter3&quot; active" />
<map value="PARAM2" action="deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 2 effect &quot;QB_Filter2&quot; slider 3 : deck 4 rightdeck ? deck 4 effect &quot;QB_Filter4&quot; slider 3" />
<map value="PARAM2_BTN" action="deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 2 effect &quot;QB_Filter2&quot; active : deck 4 rightdeck ? deck 4 effect &quot;QB_Filter4&quot; active" />

PS3: Personally I have copied over the "QB_Filter.dll" file 4 times on the effects folder, named "QB_Filter1.dll", "QB_Filter2.dll", "QB_Filter3.dll" and "QB_Filter4.dll"
This allows me to have completely separate control over each deck's filter.

Posted Tue 05 Jun 12 @ 4:28 am
Thank you for the help. I'm going to try this as soon as I get a chance. I've never custom mapped before so I will need to play around for a little bit.

Posted Tue 05 Jun 12 @ 10:11 pm
rediscoHome userMember since 2012
sorry for NOOB question, but where and what should i write to control, for example,
Deck B QB_filter's "Filter Freq" parameter
with Midi 0-CC4 ?

Posted Tue 12 Jun 12 @ 7:38 am
After hours of playing around and help from some other threads, i finally figured it out and got my led to light up as well. Here is the code:

param_greater 50,4% ? set '$tfil' 1 & effect "Filters_HighLow" active on & param_multiply 200% & param_add -100% & effect "Filters_HighLow" slider 1 : param_smaller 49,5% ? set '$tfil' 1 & effect "Filters_HighLow" active on & param_multiply 200% & effect "Filters_HighLow" slider 2 : set '$tfil' 0 & effect "Filters_HighLow" active off

With this effect, the left half of the filter knob now controls the low pass and the right controls the high. So much better then that resonance filter that comes with vdj

Posted Fri 13 Jul 12 @ 1:10 am
You have no idea how you made my night!
I was looking on here looking for a way to map an "effect on/off" button for a TouchOSC skin I'm building (surprisingly "effect active" doesn't work)
But all of this was just to find an easier way to use the low pass high pass filter and this makes it a million times easier!
THANK YOU!

Posted Wed 01 Aug 12 @ 2:51 am
No problem man glad to I could help and I know how you feel. Once I finally got this script to work after hours of tweaking I was so happy

Posted Sat 18 Aug 12 @ 12:06 am
So... I upgraded my controller to a Reloop Terminal Mix 4 and I want to use the same mapping script that we talked about in this thread
However, when I tried to map it just as it is on here, it only works on deck A & B not C & D

I thought specifying with script like : [ action_deck 1 ? deck 1 eq_mid : action_deck 2 ? deck 2 eq_mid : action_deck 3 ? deck 3 eq_mid : deck 4 eq_mid ] because that worked with everything else
But replacing "eq_mid" with the entire formula above but when I do that it just gives me a syntax error
Any ideas or suggestions on how to get it to work on all 4 channels?

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:17 am
you shouldn't need to use "action_deck" at all if it's defined normally.. You would only really use that if you wanted all the decks faders/knobs to do something different or rearrange the order from 3124 to 1234.. make sure your spelling was correct. It needs to say just:

eq_mid

Although from memory I believe that atomix used that so they could stop the outer sections of the mixer if only two decks are present on the skin.

Also isn't there a dedicated filter knob? you should just map my script to that and it should work after you download and install the qb filter dll to your "sound effects" folder.

You also need to be aware that the mapping will no longer work after the pro trial period has expired, so you would need to upgrade if you wish to keep it.

If you have to use the "action_deck" query for some reason you would need to specify a deck # that the effect will operate on eg.

action_deck 1 ? deck 1 param_equal 50% ? deck 1 effect 'qb_filter' active off : deck 1 effect 'qb_filter' active on & deck 1 effect 'qb_filter' slider 2 75% & deck 1 effect 'qb_filter' slider 3

** Dont copy the red bit ;-)

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 2:03 am
Thank you for your response I really do appreciate it, however its not exactly what I'm looking to do, let me explain further
For some reason when I plugged in my TMX4 it only recognized the mixer section as a two deck mixer
What I mean by that is that if I moved any EQ, gain or even volume fader on deck 3, it would move it on deck 1 same for deck 2 and 4
The opposite would be true if I had deck 3 selected in the platter section of TMX4: If I changed anything in the mixer for deck 1 it would just do it on deck 3
After many hours of researching and playing around I found that my best solution would be to use the script in my post above to specify what every single knob had to do and this worked great for all 3 EQs, Gains, LEDs and Volume faders BUT it did not work for my my filters

The TMX4 does have a dedicated filter knob, it was one of the main reasons I got it in the first place
However, I was very disappointed when I realized that it uses VDJ's own filter which I don't like because to me it doesn't sound much like a high pass/low pass filter
So I decided to turn to what I did with my old Mixtrack pro and use the script higher up in this thread which I absolutely love that's when I ran into the problems of it working on two decks at a time instead of all four

Ideally I would like to use this same script:

param_greater 50,4% ? set '$tfil' 1 & effect "Filters_HighLow" active on & param_multiply 200% & param_add -100% & effect "Filters_HighLow" slider 1 : param_smaller 49,5% ? set '$tfil' 1 & effect "Filters_HighLow" active on & param_multiply 200% & effect "Filters_HighLow" slider 2 : set '$tfil' 0 & effect "Filters_HighLow" active off

but for it to work on all four of my dedicated filter knobs at a time not just two at a time

Thank you for your time and any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted Tue 09 Oct 12 @ 1:56 am
hi!
i have a dj controlmp3 e2. how i do this on my consolle??
i want to set on the pitch knob the filter high low like u.
i try to copy and paste your code, but if i rotate the knob the effect go off. can u help me??

Posted Mon 15 Jul 13 @ 8:44 pm
Anyone can help me pls, what would i do if i want a vdj to run on my traktor s4, thanks im a newbie

Posted Thu 01 Aug 13 @ 9:20 pm
you would need to get VDJ Pro, register it and download tech_nz's mapping files.

Posted Thu 01 Aug 13 @ 10:55 pm
Dear all.. I'm a new vdj user..
So far I enjoy.. but how could I mapp the filter knob on my rmx2?? I've tried "shift_gain" but it does not work..
Please help....:)))

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 6:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)