Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: can I use a ghost knob with a digital readout to control pitch?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

On my skin I am wanting to skip the pitch fader but keep the control it offers. My idea is to be able to drag the textzone up or down to change the pitch of the song. The way the bpm is done at the moment is it has three states that activate various pannels...

if both the left and right decks are the same bpm the pannel with green text is activated.
if the deck has is on pitch_zero the pannel with yellow text is displayed.
else the pannel with grey text is displayed.

all the pannels have the same operation of leftclick="sync" rightclick="pitch_reset"

I want to also be able to move the pitch in fine movements with leftclick and course movements with right... because of this functionality I can sacrifice "pitch_reset" and so make sync happen when the bpm readout is double clicked, but will make an additional pannel to display if the bpm is lower or higher than pitch zero

this is what I was thinking of using, It's an almost fully masked round knob that would be set to "relative"... Two questions... Is it possible, and is there a better way to achieve the same end result of being able to drag the bpm higher and lower?

P.S. another unrelated question...

Is there a way to stop effect knobs on either deck from controlling both sides if the same effect is loaded into effect slots on both sides... the only solution I can think of is to duplicate the effects dll so there are two independant effects. I would prefer not to do this as I have a lot of effects and unfortunately they cannot be nested within folders to make organization easier and still remain mappable...

cheers

Andrew

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 6:35 am
Regarding your first question if I get it right, you can create a button that will hold the text you want. Textzones can't be used for controling elements. Buttons can! Plus if you use a button you have many more options available (click, double click, right click)
My guess is that you'll have to copy your button on all your panels, but I don't think this will be an issue.

Regarding your second question:
VDJ always links the effect controls on all decks unless you unlink them manually.
In order to unlink the controls of a particular effect you need to activate the effect on two decks, and while the effect is active to move the controls on one or both decks. This will unlink the controls, but next time you start VDJ you will have to unlink them again.

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 9:04 am
thanks for the reply phantom... in regard to the textzone, I just put a button behind a text zone which works well, still havn't tried text in a <button>... but I don't really want to draw in a pitch fader, at least with the hidden endless knob you get all of the pitch faders ability without the graphic I'll give it a go soon...

for the second part, thats good to know, while building the skin I don't think I activated the same effect to both decks lol... just tried it and it fixes it :-D

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 11:11 am
Edit: Forget what I wrote on this post... :P

Anyway:
In linear sliders you can place a <text> element inside the <fader> element. This will make the text appear on top of the fader, and MOVE with it... I haven't tried what happens with round sliders, but it would be a nice test!

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 12:28 pm
With round sliders it won't appear at all...
So, the only way achieve what you want is to create a relative vertical slider...

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 12:42 pm
Cool now I get you... but I want a skin with minimal controls to keep the skin un cluttered but maximum software control.

I though after you told me about the knobs seperating that it could be overcome with an <init/> macro... I tried just activating both then turning both off selecting the next effect and continueing 50 times... that didn't work so tried moving the sliders aswell... still no luck unfortunately :-(

on a seperate topic, is watchdog capable of recording variable information and having the information next time you load the software... I want to save some settings between sessions, I was going to use hotcues in a dummy track which would give 99 bits to store information about the GUI... the idea was read the track info on load to reset all the variables, and before closing load the track and record the information for next time... problem is it's reliant on
a) the track existing
b) users modifying the code so the script can load the track... Actually with windows do you have to name the user eg

C:\Users\synthet1c\Documents\VirtualDJ

or can you default it with "user"

C:\Users\user\Documents\VirtualDJ

if you can I know how to make it work...

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 12:49 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
With round sliders it won't appear at all...
So, the only way achieve what you want is to create a relative vertical slider...

does the fader still move though, or is it nested at 50%? Im after it not moving at all if possible and i wpuld think if you make the travel distance the same size as the fader cap the slider wouldn't work...

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 12:54 pm
... dammit you can't substitute the users name... i would have just used one of the default samples as I'd be pretty much guaranteed they would be installed on everyone's computer... oh well, I was going to do some crazy mapping of the skin if that worked.

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 1:20 pm
in regard to the ghost pitch fader... IT WORKS! :-D

I just made a mousemask and clipmask that blocks out the textzone and put a relative slider behind it so it has all the actions I wanted, bend, sync and pitch reset :) and it doesn't affect the colored pannels.

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 3:33 pm
Regarding WatchDog I can code it to store info (it already does that) but I would need to know what kind of info you want to store...

Just a hint:
You can create "ghost" panels to achieve your goal too! VDJ stores the visible panels between sessions. So you can toggle a dummy panel visibility on / off to store info and query its visibility to retrieve back your info ;-)

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 4:17 pm
I gmailed ya... let me know what you think ;-)

Posted Thu 03 May 12 @ 5:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)