Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sampling a short mp3 - or converting .mp3 to .vdj

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

andyankPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I am trying to sample a very short mp3 file using the record button on the sampler, but it does not seem to pick it up - admittedly I have to hit play on the deck and record at the same time but it doesn't catch any of it, except once I got a small section towards (not at) the end. The sample is no more than 2 seconds long. Can I load an mp3 as a sample (.vdj) or do I need to record it for sure? Is there any latency with sample record? I have it working when recording from a longer mp3 file. Thank you. (My first forum post)

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 8:08 am
if the sample is not needing to be looped you can load it directly into the sampler as an mp3 or wav file, if you are recording a loop you save that by loading the loop sample to a deck, then set the bpm and the grid correctly. now with the track paused you can set a loop as large as the sample then press record on the sample bank you wish to record. You don't need to press play as it samples the audio buffer... Just remember to save your sample before you quit otherwise it will be lost...

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 8:24 am
Great - thanks so much - will give it a go. a

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 9:34 am
worked like a dream - sorry it seemed so simple!

Posted Fri 04 May 12 @ 5:39 am
getafixPRO InfinityMember since 2010
just thought id point out that the samples with .vdj as the file extensions are simply wav files with .vdj instead of .wav
im not sure if it will make any diffrence but is helpfull to know as much as you can about vdj

Posted Fri 04 May 12 @ 8:23 am
i have tried this and it worked once but it doesn't anymore. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Posted Tue 19 Mar 13 @ 2:18 am
albetzHome userMember since 2014
good pm, how to change mp3 files to VDJ sample files?

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 4:01 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Don't bother just drop the mp3 into the sample pad, or record the mp3 as a recorded loop no converting required.

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 8:56 pm
No converting required to simply play it, but if you edit it in any way (even just change the gain) VDJ will insist you save it, and it will be saved in vdj format - so you always end up with a duplicate of your original sample anyway.

This may be OK for a handful of stuff, but it's a PITA when you've got thousands, all in more standard formats, and any changes you make (for example because there's no way of saving the sample fader volumes) create a new file.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 3:32 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Not true every time groovin if you save before being prompted then it over writes the original sample.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 9:04 pm
So it's not consistent? It gets worse! :-)

Plus AFAIK there's no popup/tooltip/text to inform you of whether it's writing to your file or creating another - or any options for setting a preference.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 3:21 am
albetzHome userMember since 2014
good day. thank you guys i will try it. i think its simply to do but i hope it work.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 9:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)