Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: How to lay objects over other objects? [Skin]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

eXtsiiLE userMember since 2010
Hey, my skin is coming slowly to an end.

Now I have set the BPM-display on the decks, which I personally like very much.
However the BPM-display seems to lie over the needle-rotation object, because every time the needle passes along the BPM there display a white surface around the BPM and instead that the needle covers the BPM-display it's the other way that the needle is covered by the BPM + this white surface.

Here is a picture that helps to understand my situation:

what can I do?

Best Regards,
eX

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 7:08 am
I don't think you can currently, but try changing the order in the xml the <textzone> is in.. eg before or after the jog spinner...

I'm not using jogs in my skin so can't test it unfortunately, but would love to know if it works if you try it out...

If it's not possible djdad vdj's premier skin expert said we should be able to use transparency in VDJ8, that sould be a good solution.

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 8:04 am
synthet1c wrote :
...djdad vdj's premier skin expert said we should be able to use transparency in VDJ8....

good news ;o)

OT:
Hope, all the "old" skin will work under VDJ8, anything about that?

Greets
Music234

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 9:36 am
only what hieko said on the video, which was the skins need a small adjustment to make them work, but personally I think it would be better if most didn't, then there would be no sacrifice of functionality required to run the old skins...

but I would love either vector's or vector like pannels that are free to move around the screen, but lock into place with other pannels... imagine the possibilities ;-)

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 11:39 am
sry, if I change the order of the different elements there is no difference. It's all the same.
Would be great, If i could solve this problem!

Aren't there any other possibilities?

synthet1c wrote :

but I would love either vector's or vector like pannels that are free to move around the screen, but lock into place with other pannels... imagine the possibilities ;-)

This feature will be included in VDJ 8... Heiko shows it in a video of the exclusive preview of VDJ 8.

regards,
eX

Posted Fri 04 May 12 @ 1:08 pm
it may not be a skin pannel, it might just be a part of the browser that uses a default vector image... only time will tell because atomix wont! LOL

Posted Fri 04 May 12 @ 1:14 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I'm not quite familiar with skin creation in VDJ, but isn't there anything like "z-index" (known in CSS or other programming languages)?
I suggested that as well in the german topic, where this question came from, but no one could answere that.

Posted Fri 04 May 12 @ 1:28 pm

Posted Fri 04 May 12 @ 2:21 pm
This sites I tried out to create my skins but there isn't any solution for my problem. I known also the "z-index" from HTML, CSS,... but i think it doesn't has this element in VDJ Script. But something should work because the BPM is over the needle rotation. Why shouldn't be the needle above the BPM? There must be a logical sense and element to manage this.

Regards,
eX

Posted Sat 05 May 12 @ 5:55 am
Generaly speaking VDJ doesn't allow you to overlay objects. More specifically, the textzones always appear on top of any other object...
You can place an object on top of another (in fact one object inside the boundaries of another) by using clipmasks, but you can't overlay them.

PS: You can play around with your textzone dimensions in order to minimize the white space that appears when the needle passes under BPM

Posted Sat 05 May 12 @ 6:19 am
I just had an idea about temporarily fixing your problem until version 8 hits...

It involves animating the text zone, I think this will work because textzones always take on their <up> graphic and I have been able to animate pannels that change the color of text throughout the song, Im not certain it will work... but I'm confident it should.

what I think you could do is draw all of the positions of the jog say 50 to make it easy put it all together as a <visual> and put it on a pannel, then for the frames that the marker covers the textzone you should put each of those on a seperate pannel in the same group and have the up for both the pannel and the textzone on that frame...

then for "visible" you should use a conditional variable to display your panel when the jog rotation is at a specific point. the intention is that you are still displaying the frame in the correct place, but the one's that have the text zone will camouflage themselves with the marker.

the pannel script for it should be something like

<pannel id="pannel_name" group"=group_name" visible="get rotation 42% ? on : off" >
etc...

let me know if it works I'm keen to know ;-)

Posted Sun 06 May 12 @ 6:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)